X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad control arms!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry bad control arms!!!

hello dynajag here again found out that my rear suspension, forward lower control arms are not good on my 02 X type so now i am looking at replacing them but a few questions came up, 1: is there a difference between the left and right side for the forward/lower control arms? 2: can i change just the bushings on them? 3: If i buy new arms do the come with bushings? or do they have to be purchased seperately? The upper control arms are bad as well and kinda had the same questions on those? so if anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated since this is my daily driver need it fixed asap. i realized all of this the other day and today i noticed that the new tires i just put on about 3000 miles ago are shot wire on the inside of the wheels so that money was wasted no doubt.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

dynajag, you are experiencing the same problem that a lot of us Jag owners have experienced. The answers that you seek are easy. If you look at https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...slides-101884/, you will see in the middle of the posts someone has listed the part numbers for you.

As for the lower/forward control arms, they are the same arm on the left and right sides and they are pretty much a 1 time use item. None of us have figured out a way to rebuild the inside joint. New arms run about $100 each through a Jag dealership. You can possibly rebuild the outside joint by trimming down a poly bushing from a place like Energy Suspension, but you are not going to fix the major offender (inside joint).

Now, for the upper arm, you have a few choices here believe it or not. Can you rebuild it, yes. Again, you are going to end up looking at a company like Energy Suspension and getting the bushings to trim down to fix your application. Then you are just needing to carve out the old bushings and put in something new.

Option 2 is to simply go to the Jag dealership and get these arms too. These will also set you back about $100 each. The arms are the same side to side.

Option 3 is to look at https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rol-arm-88530/. This is an arm that I currently have installed in my car. The benefits of this arm is that it also allows you to adjust the camber of your rear tires where the factor arm does not. This will help in maximizing your tire life. The link here will give you step by step of what needs to be done. 2 of these arms will set you back about $125 (or $60 an arm).

Any more questions, just ask. A lot of us have been down this road and we can get you past this.

The following users liked this post:
dynajag02 (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks alot thermo i was hoping you would help out i see you on here alot so im on ebay looking now for the parts. talk to you later.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Hey Dyna,

Here is the ones I bought for my car off Ebay. They work Great.
eBay item number: