X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Light

Hi, I am a new owner of a 2002 jaguar x-type. Recently had the battery light come on. Had both the battery and the alternator replaced after picking up the car from the shop 10 minutes into driving the battery light came back on. Took it a different shop to have both battery and alternator tested. Battery was good but the alternator failed. So took back to original shop where I had the original work done, they replaced the alternator again, two days later picked up the car again 10 minutes into driving again the battery light once again came on. Took out my volt meter and getting 12.7 v when car is off and on. Can anyone please tell me what may be causing my problems. Thanks

Old 06-20-2017, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

Usually when my battery light comes on its because my slapdash wiring has come loose from the alternator again. But poor quality control in the parts rebuilding industry seems to be more and more common. Did they check the engine ground strap? Is the alternator wiring in good condition to begin with- that is, has corrosion taken over? I would certainly hope that a Reputable shop would check these things especially if they are going to work on admittedly finicky cars. I'm sure there are a lots more things to check, but these are the first things I personally would look at. Good luck.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Agree with Jerry and I wonder what they did to get it working again. Hard to believe that 2 new alternators were faulty. I wonder why it's always 10 minutes into the run that it fails.

Pete

Old 08-11-2017, 10:05 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Is it a genuine Jaguar alternator? If not source a used one from a wrecker and try it.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:31 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Apjacks15
Hi, I am a new owner of a 2002 jaguar x-type. .....
Welcome to the forum Apjacks15,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X-Type forum. This is the place to post questions about your model.

I see you haven't been back in over seven weeks since posting the question. If you do return, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:32 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It's probably your battery cables -a known weakness on these cars. They corrode inside. You can tell if you touch the battery terminal after a drive. If it is extremely hot, the cable is bad. You may have not even needed a battery or alternator.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Idk for sure, but I remember reading a post by Thermo (gotta trust that guy!) That when the car is running (i.e. Alternator powering the car) it should register around 14.5 volts, not in the 12's as just the fully charged battery should be. I know mine registers (new battery) 12.7 volts on battery alone and 14.6 with alternator going.