X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBS Split rim valve adaptor issue.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBS Split rim valve adaptor issue.

I own a Jaguar X-Type Indianapolis edition (2003) with BBS Split rim tyres.

I have the genuine BBS genuine valve kit (the key to open the screw and two BBS valve adaptors).

When I screw on the valve adaptor I, none of my plug in tyre inflator machines screw onto the BBS valve adaptor. It seems that the BBS valve adaptors are too big to be screwed onto. I have tried both adaptors.

Furthermore, when I went to Tescos petrol station recently I tried their own tyre pressure machines which usually work well, but when I put Tescos inflator machine onto the BBS valve adaptor all that happened was lots of air was being let out and nothing was going in, eventhough it did fit better than the ones I tried at homs. I could visibly see the PSI being lowered on the machine, so I stopped.

Perhaps you could put me in the right direction of what I am doing wrong? Because I have looked at getting new valve adaptors, but I am worried this will not solve the problem? Most people have said I should go to the garage for help, but it seems drastic for such a straightforward issue.

Perhaps I need a bigger adaptor for my home plug in inflating machines that will actually fit the BBS valve adaptor?

Any help or advice will be great!

Old 09-01-2016, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

I don't remember having to screw the hose on to the valve adapter. The valve adapter is screwed into the valve and the connecting hose is just clipped on over the top.

Perhaps you're not pushing down far enough on the hose to make a good connection.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

The connecting hose on my michelin tyre inflator only covers the very tip of the valve adaptor, I am having to hold it in place and the psi level on the inflators gauge doesn't increase. Whereas on my other cars, which are not split rims, I simply screw the michelin hose onto the inbuilt valve and it gives a tight fit and it inflates. With the adaptor, it feels like too much of a lose fit.

I will try pushing down harder next time, see if it helps! I have read elsewhere that the adaptors are delicate so I didn't want them breaking off whilst screwed in place!

Old 12-25-2020, 04:48 AM
Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi, did you manage to find a way to screw onto the valve? I have the same valve for my BBS Montreal split rims and just discovered that my normal battery opperated tyre inflator won't fit the threads on the valve as they are to large for the nozzle to thread onto.
If not, then how did you manage to get air into this devise?
Kind Regards
S. Degenkolb