X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best price ever on service and Brakes!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 06:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up Best price ever on service and Brakes!!

Hi guys, not sure if im allowed to do this, probably wont affect anyone anyway as there arent many of ye from ireland and less from the south!! Anyway, just wanted to give a shout out to my local Car sales guy / Mechanic,

A few days ago I heard the dreaded metal on metal sound from the rear of the car while braking, I assumed that either the brake pads were worn down or a bearing was giving out. Turns out it was the pads.

I brought it into the guy who sold it to me last February and as im due for a full diesel service in a few hundred miles, I asked him to do the whole lot together.

I know we always complain about garages and prices, but in fairness this guy, and I am in no way affiliated with him, said that he would do the full filter and oil service, new brake pads and discs (the old discs had gotten fairly torn ) for around 220 Euros!! Thats around 180 pounds sterling or 250 dollars, given that I bought the car from him and even though it is out of warranty, he still looked after me. Now thats a price that cant be beat. I know that the first thing that comes to mind is that he will probably use substandard parts, but I do know for a fact that he gets his parts from main dealers so I have no worries there.

Just wanted to show that there are still honest car salespeople about! If the mods have no problem I'll post the name and location of the garage in a later post, I do believe that this guy deserves to be advertised and that us Jaguar owners deserve to get a break on prices every once in a while!!! Benificial to all

Old 10-16-2014, 11:40 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Not too bad.

Conversion from Euro to USD is approximately 1.3, so your looking at $280 USD.

You can get OEM pads and rotors for the rear for $100, OEM oil filter for $10 and lets go high on the oil at $5 a quart,so $35.

That's $145 for parts, which means you are paying about $125 for labor. I don't know what the hourly rate is in Ireland, but it seems reasonable for a brake job labor.

Glad you found a trustworthy shop.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:34 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

God bless American oil prices! I think that one of your quarts is just over a litre, and a five litre can of decent oil over here would set you back around 50 Euros.
Thanks to our wonderful VAT system, parts are taxed at a whopping 21% while the labor is taxed at 13.5%.
Garages over here normally charge between 45 Euro and 65 Euro an hour,
All in all I had the air filters, the fuel filter, the oil, the back discs and pads replaced and he gave me a loaner for the day while he had mine!

Old 10-18-2014, 05:08 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by barryo2002
............. Just wanted to show that there are still honest car salespeople about! If the mods have no problem I'll post the name and location of the garage in a later post, I do believe that this guy deserves to be advertised and that us Jaguar owners deserve to get a break on prices every once in a while!!! Benificial to all
Good to hear you found a reliable Independent.

Best place to post details is UK & Eire - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum forum.

Interesting that Eire has different tax rates on parts and labour. UK is 20% on both goods and services.

Graham