X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bi Xenon retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bi Xenon retrofit

I have a 2002 X, and I want to change to HID... lot's of writing on that.

Why I am here is because I want to know if anyone has changed the single beam halogen projectors (low beam), to Bi Xenon projectors (low and high beam).

The wiring and such is pretty well covered in other locations...its changing the projector itself that interests me. Has it been done? How difficult is it?

Why do I want this? More light down the road, without adding auxiliary driving lights...

Old 08-15-2016, 06:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Moose, 1 see one problem with what you are going after. That problem would be that you are using the same projector that is only aimed at a low point in front of the vehicle. SO, by using a bi-xenon bulb (ie, 2 HID bulbs at slightly different focal points inside a common housing), what you are going to get your normal HID beam when using your low (dip) beams and then a very diffused light when you apply your high (main) beams. The high (main) beams will be very diffused because the point of light generation will be outside of the focal point of the lens and will therefore be thrown all over the place.

Newer cars with a specifically designed projector can get away with this as they have designed the projector to have 2 focal points. One point is made such that it aims the light down and in front of the car and the other is designed to make a pencil beam pattern that goes straight out in front of the car.

So, unless you are also changing out the projector lens along with the swap over to bi-xenon bulbs, you are going to find that the amount of light making it out in front of the car that is useful will drop dramatically.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Moose, 1 see one problem with what you are going after. That problem would be that you are using the same projector that is only aimed at a low point in front of the vehicle. SO, by using a bi-xenon bulb (ie, 2 HID bulbs at slightly different focal points inside a common housing), what you are going to get your normal HID beam when using your low (dip) beams and then a very diffused light when you apply your high (main) beams. The high (main) beams will be very diffused because the point of light generation will be outside of the focal point of the lens and will therefore be thrown all over the place.

Newer cars with a specifically designed projector can get away with this as they have designed the projector to have 2 focal points. One point is made such that it aims the light down and in front of the car and the other is designed to make a pencil beam pattern that goes straight out in front of the car.

So, unless you are also changing out the projector lens along with the swap over to bi-xenon bulbs, you are going to find that the amount of light making it out in front of the car that is useful will drop dramatically.
Thats my question; not the bulb, the projector. Like changing to Morimoto Mini, or Lexus projectors, which have a mechanical shutter in the projector, not on the bulb (bi Xenon bulbs never work right)

Old 08-15-2016, 02:02 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by moose_herder
Thats my question; not the bulb, the projector. Like changing to Morimoto Mini, or Lexus projectors, which have a mechanical shutter in the projector, not on the bulb (bi Xenon bulbs never work right)
I swapped in some morimotos into my high beam location. Disabled the bi-xenon function and wired it to when I hit my brights the projector lights up on the brightest function...