XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 2001 High Beams Will Not "Flash"

Old 04-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry XK8 2001 High Beams Will Not "Flash"

High Beams will not "Flash" when I pull the lever towards me. They work fine when I push the lever forward. So far no luck tracking it down.

Has anyone had (and solved) this problem? Need to get it fixed to program my remote.

Thanks in advance.

GE

Old 04-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Do the front fog lights go off when you pull it? Just thinking of things that occur when functioning properly to help get to the bottom of it.

I'd bet the switch is the problem. Normal highs work ok right? There is a circuit board with multiple wires connections at the bottom of the switch stalk.. The wires sometimes work loose and just need to be resoldered. I've looked high and low there is no wire diagram mapping these wires out, but a quick look is not too hard. A new switch is jaguar expensive so just ask if you want instructions to get to those wires.

Maybe someone else will have experienced this but the more i think about it i suspect the switch stalk is the root unless you tell me the fog light goes out.

The following users liked this post:
pilot435 (04-16-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 10:17 PM

John, Thanks for the input. Not sure about the fog lamps. I'm on travel for a few days and will check them when I return.

I do know that the problem prevents me from programing my remote as the procedure uses the High-Beam flash switch. Also, the "Normal" highs work fine.

Regards

Gordon
1997 XK8 Conv.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
Do the front fog lights go off when you pull it? Just thinking of things that occur when functioning properly to help get to the bottom of it.

I'd bet the switch is the problem. Normal highs work ok right? There is a circuit board with multiple wires connections at the bottom of the switch stalk.. The wires sometimes work loose and just need to be resoldered. I've looked high and low there is no wire diagram mapping these wires out, but a quick look is not too hard. A new switch is jaguar expensive so just ask if you want instructions to get to those wires.

Maybe someone else will have experienced this but the more i think about it i suspect the switch stalk is the root unless you tell me the fog light goes out.

+1

These wires fatigue over the years from movement - or at least the end connections do.
The flash signal from the stalk goes to the BPM which fires the headlamp relay. BPM also messages the security system so it knows when you're attempting to program the fobs.

Mike

pilot435 (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 08:13 AM

Hi, I just got back from my travel. There was mention of "Instructions" to access this switch & wires. Where would I those instructions (or is it obvious once I get in there ?

Gordon

Old 04-16-2016, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Gordon i am on my phone hard to type. I posted instructions or my findings after doing same job. Search on my name for now.

Let me try:

1 you need 2 remove lower valance panel, upper and luwrr cowl. All easy except upper cowl. Disco battery. You know what this time you have to search 4 my previous post with photos and screwdriver sizes.

There are 4 screws in upper cowl see my post.

2 remove steering wheel. Disco battery wait 30 sec, unscrew air bag.

Disconnect air bag wires and connections that come through steering wheel. There is plenty of play in these wires. Unbolt steering wheel bolt give yourself a deadeye mark for replacement orientation, remove steering wheel.

You will have access to the wires ans circuit board.

Do not waste time trying to use a soldering gun. You need a needle nose solder to get to these wires in situ. Costs about $12 in radio shack.

John

pilot435 (04-17-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member

Gordon, Took a look tonight, there are 3 upper cowl screws, not 4. See this link for a photo: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ctions-155390/

Notes on steering wheel: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ht-now-155371/

Gordon, the biggest headache will be the upper cowl. For myself and many of us we found the screwheads appear stripped. When I finally got a bite on the screw and got them out, I came armed with a #2 phillips, a #3 philips, and a square screwdriver.

Do yourself a favor and plan ahead. Purchase three 3/16 inch fine thread 1/2 inch long screws to replace the ones you just took out of the upper cowll That way you'll get some bite with the screwdriver imediately for the next go around.

Hope this helps, let us know how you did. Hey if you wouldn't mind could you take a color photo of the wire connections at the bottom of the turn signal stalk when you have it open? I wish I had done that when mine was apart. I was able to spot where it detached from with a magnifiying glass but a photo or two could be a great reference for us all.

just ask if you have more questions.

John