Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Cowl Removal Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Upper Cowl Removal Instructions

The other day I posted a question about getting the upper cowl off. I was asked to post photos of the scew positions once I had it figured out for future reference.

There are 3 scews holding the upper cowl down. Two in the back (left/right); One in the front right.

For your orientation. Forward end of the cowl at the top in photo, cowl being rotated backwards onto it's back.

Underside of the upper cowl. The two screw recepticals at the bottom are the two screws in the back when looking from underneath. The one up top in photo is the tough one to get to.

View from Top. Steering wheel on right; dash on left. See the threaded screw hole in front of the finger- this is where left rear screw comes in from underneath. other rear is easy to see from underneath.

Underneath looking up. See silver screwdriver pointing up to 3rd screw location. With flashlight lay on floor look up you will see it. Use this for orientation.

Very hard to take photo from underneath. Some photos are from top down, but this should give you all you need and more for dead reckoning the screw's positions. These screws look golden from underneath, turn out to be the exact same screws that hold the lower cowl on.

You will need to disco battery for screw #3 (last screw towards front). There are numerous exposed wires & binding posts in the way.

For some reason my screw heads were distorted like someone overtightend them. Made it very hard to remove. Since this is the 1st time anyone went there since factory assembly I suspect it may be endemic and you may see it too. As mentioned earlier, use the lower cowl assmbly screws as model to prep tools for the job. If you have a square head screwdriver give it a try. I don't and needed a #3 phillips on this last screw, probably because it fit the distorted head the best.

Make your life easy for next disassembly. While I'm sure the screws are metric in design, 3/16 inch fine thread screws fit these just fine. You will need 1/2 inch length to clear, but next time you have to go in, it will be a breeze with good screw heads to work with. IOW have the replacement screws ready for reassembly - unfortunately you'll understand why I'm saying this all too well after you remove the upper cowl 1st time.

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
cjd777 (12-31-2015), rwilcoxen (07-20-2017)
Old 12-31-2015, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

Thanks for the write up, when you say "square head screwdriver" do you mean something like this?

Old 12-31-2015, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

That's really helpful - thank you. Mine doesn't fit properly, and I suspect it's because someone DID go in there before, and couldn't get that third screw back in properly.

Time to get on my back methinks !!

Old 12-31-2015, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Yes that was the kind of screw driver I suggested. You can 2x check it by seeing how it fits the screw that comes out of the lower shroud. They are the same screws. Good luck with it mate.