X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Black Cat got new shoes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking The Black Cat got new shoes!

So after a month of waiting for this local shop to find the rims and get them in, I finally got my rims!

Before:

Name:  IMG_0002.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  129.2 KB

After:

Name:  IMG_0005.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  109.6 KB

Now I know what you guys are thinking... Why the hell did he get red calipers? Here's my answer... I DIDN'T!! The genius at the car shop thought I wanted red calipers for my black jag, and my brother wanted black for his red jag. Thank god I didn't take my brothers jag too!

The good news is he is going to fix his booboo on the house... I just have to wait till next week.. When he gets my RIGHT rotors in!!! I ordered slotted black rotors from EBC brakes and they sent him the OEM replacement rotors! GRRRRR

I got 19" Niche Euro's wrapped in 235/35/19 Kumho Ecsta's... No rubbing at all and full u-turn clearance! Even with four people in the car!

Here are more pics for your viewing pleasures:

Name:  IMG_0007.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  132.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0009.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  150.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0020.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  118.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0014.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  145.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0018.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  146.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0019.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  147.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0008.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  134.6 KB

I also finally put on my spoiler that I ordered off eBay and which was discussed in a previous thread.... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34820 ... and I love it! Really compliments my car in my opinion...

Name:  IMG_0016.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  122.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0024.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  152.9 KB

The red is temporary until next week and my rotors will also be changed, so I will definitely update with newer pictures when the time comes.

Please don't be shy on any opinions or criticism on my upgrades...

Last edited by JagXType620; 05-05-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

That looks great, the spoiler does add to the slick looks.The wheels are sick.
A very sharp cat!

Old 05-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

nice, but is this the spoiler you got off ebay?

Old 05-06-2010, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hey you should also buy chrome mirror covers and chrome trim surroundings for the rear lights

Old 05-06-2010, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Looks great. Nice choice.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by cadillac
Hey you should also buy chrome mirror covers and chrome trim surroundings for the rear lights
Since I don't have chrome rims, my personal opinion is that it would be too much chrome for my car. I never was a fan of chrome handles, chrome mirrors, chrome light surrounds, chrome gas lids etc...

shoot, I'm even debating if I should take off my chrome pillars or not since I have matte black/machined rims...

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
nice, but is this the spoiler you got off ebay?
Yes, Jaggyx, that is the spoiler that I purchased off of eBay last month. I had the shop put it on for me. I like it.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 AM

That looks clean!!! I also Have a black X-type and I've been waiting to throw on some chrome and black rims, just need the $$$ first. I placed a mina order that should be arriving this week, I'm getting the smoked side markers and front and rear bumper blades so that the red and orange will be off of the car, then I'm getting the taillights blacked out. I really like the wheels and that spoiler has me thinking about it too.

I've been trying to read up on the perfect size for rims and tires, and I'm hearing some ppl say 18's because the 19's rub and make for a rocky ride. I'd rather go bigger, so let me know how those turn out.

Dustin

Old 05-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

I vote black calipers. I see the chrome/black contrast theme. This is my favorite pic (looks best here):
Name:  IMG_0005.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  109.6 KB

But it conjures up images of other vehicles for me:

Springs coming?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Agreed ^ jagx620, what did the shop do to the spoiler. Did they just use the provided 3m tape? Also did you get the shop to paint it, or did you but it painted from the seller. If so how is the paint finish?

Old 05-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Personally I like the red calipers. They contrast very nicely with the black and chrome. I think you have just the right amount of chrome and the rear spoiler also works very well. The rims look great, I wonder if you can use the Jaguar center caps.

Interesting you went with the Kumhos. On my 2007 (I have the factory 18 inch rims) I did try out the Kumho Ecsta AST (If I recall correctly) based on a recommendation by the tire shop (I use tirevan for my installation - they come to your office and do the needful). Compared to the stock Continental ProContacts I found the ride to be much harsher; louder and no improvements in overall handling. In fact, within a month I hit a pothole in DC and front tire got a couple of bubbles.

I decided to replace all four with the new Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires and it's a huge improvement. Much more silent, at the same time hugs the road better. Wet handling is superb.

I really liked the way the Kumhos look though. Wonder what your experience has been with the Kumho's compared to the originals?

Old 05-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Default Mmmhhhh

I dunno. 20's are too much for me. Personally I liked the old setup better, looks classy. I like your tinted windows, and losing the chrome pillars would bring out the "black beauty" even more.

Can you change the side-indicators on the bumpers to white ones in te States? We don't even have those in Europe, We just have the small ones just behind the wheels. Those big one stick out like a sore thumb; one orange, one red?

Just my opinion, but then again maybe we don't get that whole US-pimpin' business...

Jagu_Ar

Old 05-06-2010, 02:58 PM

Oh; sorry, they're 19s...

Old 05-06-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
Agreed ^ jagx620, what did the shop do to the spoiler. Did they just use the provided 3m tape? Also did you get the shop to paint it, or did you but it painted from the seller. If so how is the paint finish?
I had to send the eBay seller my paint code to paint the spoiler. So, the seller himself paints it according to the color code you supply. And the paint is very good quality and it matches the color 100%

The shop I took it to just used the 3M tape that came with it. It's on there very sturdy and it feels rock solid. I am satisfied with the purchase off eBay.

Give it a try, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Originally Posted by exexpat
I vote black calipers. I see the chrome/black contrast theme. This is my favorite pic (looks best here):

But it conjures up images of other vehicles for me:

Springs coming?
Jeremy, I don't think I'm going to lower it, I like how it looks, I don't think its sitting that high, but I know what you're saying. I know it would ten times aggressive with a dropped body but I just think dropping a car takes away from the luxury and the ride. My opinion.

Although, in total contrast to what I just said above, Your dropped jag looks like one mean SOB. Very nice.

And you're vote is my vote for the black calipers. I wanted black, the shop dude just screwed up and put red... don't know how that happens lol

Old 05-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Chiming in:
Wheels - Yes
Red Calipers - Fine
Spoiler - Yes, Yes, Yes
Chrome - Be gone with it!

PS Had the Kumho ASX's on mine and switched to the Conti DWS's. Like the Conti's way better. Kumho's seem to "flat spot" a bunch parked overnight and took a while to smooth out. The Conti's also have a bit better lip protector.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 PM

car looks good! but i would black out everything. that chrome is to bling for me IMHO.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  19.3 KB

For me.....
Wheels look pretty good I think, maybe better with the Jaguar centre caps if possible though?
Calipers deffo Black....Red looks too boy racerish, so it'll be good when they're done. The EBC slotted rotors will also be a nice tough too!
Spolier - looks great! I too had one off an Ebay vendor and the fit / finish and paint match was unbeliveably good for a cheap cheap price.....a real good investement and the 3m tape works just fine!
Chrome - me perosnally, not a huge fan. I'd say lose the side pillars and also get the bumper inserts colour coded too

Old 05-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

I agree with the chrome pillars. I think black would sooth your car much better. Also, I might just give that spoiler a try. Do you mind posting the link so I buy it from the same seller?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Where did you guys find the Conti DWS? I've been trying to find a set for a couple of months.....back ordered everywhere. Awesome tires if you can find them, I guess! Went with some cheepo Fuzion HRi's to get by for a while. Like riding on four basketballs, LOL. They did, however, confirm that the struts and shocks are on the way out, so that'll be next....along with some poly sway bar bushings.
Sigh......money pit.....

Looks good, JagXtype620! I do have to agree with some of the other posters that given the subdued, black theme the chrome kind of smacks you in the face.

Last edited by PreJag; 05-06-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Got my Conti DWSs pre-spring from Tire Rack when they were in stock. Sorry.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mohrd
Chiming in:
Wheels - Yes but get some springs at least
Red Calipers - Not fine - make them fix them and do it in black
Spoiler - Yes, Yes, Yes
Chrome - Be gone with it!
Fixed.

I would have probably gone with black lugnuts.. But I'm just weird with details like that.

Last edited by ufoz8mycow; 05-06-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: The Black Cat got new shoes!