X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW Guy, looking to buy 02 X-Type. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb BMW Guy, looking to buy 02 X-Type. Advice?

Looking to buy an 02 X-Type, 2.5

I know in the BMW world, if you go for the smaller engine of two choices, you get eaten alive... so here's the link. It seems to have a misfire. Any ideas? Thoughts? Comments? Personal opinions?

Thanks everyone, hopefully y'all are as cool as everyone over in the bimmerforums!

2002 Jaguar X-Type/Auto/Air/6cd/Sunrf/Lthr/112k/Good Looking--Trades?

PS: The smilies here are MUCH cooler.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

For me that's wayyyy too many miles. I wouldn't even consider it.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by totalimmortal363
For me that's wayyyy too many miles. I wouldn't even consider it.
Because? Are they unreliable? Or you just like cars with low miles?

And again, I've never owned a jag. My E34 is good up to 300-400k miles, so 100k miles is like being 20 years old.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  19.3 KB

This post has been moved into the X type section for you to get much better responses from the X typers.

Good luck and enjoy the site
I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features

The following users liked this post:
travbjork (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 06:17 PM

Haha, thank you, total noob move on my part! xP

So anyone, what're your qualms on the X-Type and the 2.5? And the one I've linked to?

Old 01-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Trav, I would say to go for the car. I don't think that 112K miles is all that much. The motors are good for up to atleast 200K miles, if not over 300K miles. One side note though about the car. If you are looking for something to go stop light to stop light and really move, then this is not the car for you. Not that the 2.5L motor is not capable of making the car move, the problem is the transfer cases are weak and if you decide you want more power or like to "get to 60 in a jiffy", you are going to be replacing transfer cases about every 30K miles to the tune of $3,000 a pop. You want something that is a nice ride and draws the eye of a lot of people, then this is the car for you. I am not saying that you can't get into it once in awhile. But, if you are wanting to drive it "spirited" a lot, you are going to need some deep pockets.

So, along those lines, give the car a good drive and if you hear any gear noises, then you will want to walk away from it. After that, most of the problems with the car are fairly easy to deal with.

As for the misfire issue, I would venture to guess that it is a coil issue (each cylinder has its own coil). This is where things can be either really cheap or really expensive for you. To access the #6 coil (driver's side, back side of the engine), you have to lift the top half of the intake off of the motor. Takes about an hour of wrenching to get to that point. The coil is fairly cheap and I would say to replace the plug since you are in there too. So, you will save yourself about $200-250 in just labor if you can do it yourself. The parts will run you maybe $50.

As for the 2.5L motor being "underpowered", it is only 20 hp less than the 3.0L motor. This is the trick with the engine. The 2.5L motor likes to be wound up. You get it up above 3,000 RPM and it will make the car scoot. The trick is getting the revs up to that point. If you are looking for power boosters, first off, remember me cautioning you about quick accelerations? I would not necessarily recommend them. Also, you are going to find out that Jaguar just doesn't seem to have a big mod following. So, any sort of power adders will more than likely be either worthless (ie, the intake tornado inserts, the temperature modifiers, etc) or very expensive (Mina exhaust system for example).

Also, looking at the pics, that car is a sport edition car. So, you are going to get some upgrades in the car that are limited to only the sport editions. Mostly they are cosmetic things (no chrome on the corners of the bumper, bigger rims, color matched grille, color matched trim above the license plate, slight changes to the interior). So, that is only helping the car retain more of its value. For $3500, you can't go wrong provided that the misfire is the only problem. From the looks of it, the car has been well maintained.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
JimC64 (01-05-2012), travbjork (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Trav, I would say to go for the car. I don't think that 112K miles is all that much. The motors are good for up to atleast 200K miles, if not over 300K miles. One side note though about the car. If you are looking for something to go stop light to stop light and really move, then this is not the car for you. Not that the 2.5L motor is not capable of making the car move, the problem is the transfer cases are weak and if you decide you want more power or like to "get to 60 in a jiffy", you are going to be replacing transfer cases about every 30K miles to the tune of $3,000 a pop. You want something that is a nice ride and draws the eye of a lot of people, then this is the car for you. I am not saying that you can't get into it once in awhile. But, if you are wanting to drive it "spirited" a lot, you are going to need some deep pockets.

So, along those lines, give the car a good drive and if you hear any gear noises, then you will want to walk away from it. After that, most of the problems with the car are fairly easy to deal with.

As for the misfire issue, I would venture to guess that it is a coil issue (each cylinder has its own coil). This is where things can be either really cheap or really expensive for you. To access the #6 coil (driver's side, back side of the engine), you have to lift the top half of the intake off of the motor. Takes about an hour of wrenching to get to that point. The coil is fairly cheap and I would say to replace the plug since you are in there too. So, you will save yourself about $200-250 in just labor if you can do it yourself. The parts will run you maybe $50.

As for the 2.5L motor being "underpowered", it is only 20 hp less than the 3.0L motor. This is the trick with the engine. The 2.5L motor likes to be wound up. You get it up above 3,000 RPM and it will make the car scoot. The trick is getting the revs up to that point. If you are looking for power boosters, first off, remember me cautioning you about quick accelerations? I would not necessarily recommend them. Also, you are going to find out that Jaguar just doesn't seem to have a big mod following. So, any sort of power adders will more than likely be either worthless (ie, the intake tornado inserts, the temperature modifiers, etc) or very expensive (Mina exhaust system for example).

Also, looking at the pics, that car is a sport edition car. So, you are going to get some upgrades in the car that are limited to only the sport editions. Mostly they are cosmetic things (no chrome on the corners of the bumper, bigger rims, color matched grille, color matched trim above the license plate, slight changes to the interior). So, that is only helping the car retain more of its value. For $3500, you can't go wrong provided that the misfire is the only problem. From the looks of it, the car has been well maintained.
Thank you, incredibly helpful. I haven't fully looked into the specs, but you sold me on the 2.5. I'm really looking for something that won't cost me an arm and a leg to boot. My BMW would routinely cost me about $200 a month in random crap breaking lol.

As far as my driving style, this sounds like it would fit my bill. I'm not a stop light jumper, but I like something that'll still stay ahead of everyone at the light if I'm not heavy footing it. I'd say I get heavier on the pedal when the speed limit jumps, if I'm passing someone, or on the highway from time to time. I've never actually gotten a speeding ticket... knock on wood. And I'm 23 My bimmer had a lot of high end power too, so it wouldn't be too big of a change.

I'm mechanically inclined so I'd be able to take care of that fix pretty easily. I'll keep an ear out and drive around with the windows down listening for any gear box noises. I've read some horror stories here already about the AWD systems. Thanks for the heads up on luxury package too, it definitely looks like a nice clean car and the miles really aren't bad.

How are the transmissions on these things? I know, again, on my BMW, the auto trannies tend to die out at about 140k miles. Anybody have any experience with high mileage?

And I could probably do a search for this and find plenty of threads, so I'll make this question optional. What has been your most frequent repair? Or something you were told would fail and never has? How about things that have randomly failed which you thought would last forever?

Thanks everyone!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

My grandfather has owned several jaguars and very rarely keeps them past say 75,000 miles and I guess that thinking has transferred to owning mine.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Trav, as for the 112K miles, I wouldn't really worry about it at all. The key to making the transfer cases last is to just flush them and fill them up from time to time. I am currently at 140K and the car has seriously been knock on wood! This is the first car that I have owned that I get the sense that it will last forever. Plus, with Jags, and especially the X-Type, it just takes a few cosmetical tweaks and a good detail and you will turn heads at every block! I have owned two BMW's, and although the cars are technologically advances, these are their downfalls. My 07 X5 never spent time at home, just at the shop, and it only had 50K miles. Plus you will be pleasantly surprised at how cheap some parts can be compared to bimmers. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I completely second what aCapiz and thermo have said. The mileage is not an issue. I bought my car with 94k on it and right now it has 112k and is running extremely well. Remember that the 3.0 engine is almost the same engine that came out of the ford mondeo. People hear horror stories about jaguar engines because the v8's have some serious problems with plastic timing tensioners and what not, but I am very tempted that the v6 will last forever! The great thing about this is that everyone else will turn up their nose at jaguars with this mileage because of the unreliability of the previous models which makes the xtypes extremely cheap! I own a 3.0 sport manual and I would have to say that the 3.0 and the manual are a necessity for me. I live in the mountains and drive across the continental divide about three times a month and I have been in a couple situations where I might have been in a snowbank if I didn't have the 3.0 or the 5spd. On that same note, if you are going to be doing any driving in foul weather, you will really be glad to have the optional stability control. Just my 2 cents about the x type.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't recommend the X-type too highly. I have owned my 02 2.5 manual sport from new and apart from a clutch failure in 2005 it has been staggeringly reliable. I use it as my 'commute' car. It now has over 200k on the clock!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That car looks beat on to me. I would pass.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:25 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Were all X-Types AWD? I usually see the AWD badge on the left side of the trunk lid but this one doesn't seem to have one. Other than that it looks pretty good.

Have you shopped for other X-Types? An '04 or later car will have eliminated some the problems of earlier cars (e.g., particularly weak transfer case).
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 01-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Too many miles? On a 10 year old car? That is 10K per year. If it is well maintained I wouldn't be concerned about that.

Car looks beat? Not sure what that means, but it looked pretty decent in the pictures, although in some shots it ishard to tell if there are some scrapes or it is just light reflecting.

These cars can be very reliable. Seems like there were a lot more issues with the early models (2002-2003) than later years, but if this is the original owner and he has records of routine maintenance and what he tell you give you a comfort level it could be a good car. Some early models seem to have had issues with the transfer case, but if this guy owned it for its whole life I'm sure those issues would have shown up a long time ago. This car looks like one that belonged to a former member on here named Aquill. I think he lived in Texas. Not sure if this is the same one or not, but he took very good care of his.

Best advice I can give you is do your homework on this site to familiarize yourself with possible issues. There really aren't a lot. Most common seem to be are vacuum leaks, weak batteries, rear control arms, fan control modules, ABS reluctor ings, climate control blend door issues and ECU issues related to water leaks, along with the aforementioned transfer case issues in the early cars. Search on here to familiarize yourself so you know what to look for. Do your homework befor you buy and you should be able to make an informed decision. I personally love mine and it has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I just bought a 02 with 185k for $1500, and have spent $700 fixing everything and includes new brakes in front, 4 tires, new belts, hoses, water pump, rf axle, hub, hub bearing, 1 control arm, and alignment. Check the headlight to see if theyre broken inside, its common and theyre not cheap either about $400ea new aftermarket. I would at least shoot for $3000, why because theyve let the misfire go and that can and will take out catalytic convertors that are not cheap.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
Were all X-Types AWD? I usually see the AWD badge on the left side of the trunk lid but this one doesn't seem to have one. Other than that it looks pretty good.

Have you shopped for other X-Types? An '04 or later car will have eliminated some the problems of earlier cars (e.g., particularly weak transfer case).
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
All xtypes had a transfer case and therefore all x types sent power to all four wheels. The only exception to this is the diesel models in europe which were only front wheel drive and also came with a 6spd manual instead of just the 5spd manual that the 2.5 and 3.0 come in.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:06 PM

If this is say a third vehicle and you're not really depending on it as a daily driver then go for it...when they are working as they should they can be enjoyable...but in my limited experience with these vehicles they are going to be very needy...especially with drive-train issues...I have 39k on mine and it was owned previously by the mayor of my town who is like 80 years old and drove it that way...it has already had 2 drive shafts and now I think the TC case is about to go....along with a slew of random crap that, in my opinion, failed about 45k sooner than it should have. Not to say that BMW doesn't have its issues but again, in my opinion, it is a much more dependable vehicle in terms of just starting it up and driving down the road...Thermo had some good advice for you in his earlier reply...The thing I can't get my head around is that if you floor the vehicle it pretty much starts to break down rapidly and that for me takes some of the prestige away from owning a Jag...engine and transmission should be car building 101...if you have a strong power-train then it makes the other faults not look so bad...just my .02

Old 01-06-2012, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by zoolander
if this is say a third vehicle and you're not really depending on it as a daily driver then go for it...when they are working as they should they can be enjoyable...but in my limited experience with these vehicles they are going to be very needy...especially with drive-train issues...i have 39k on mine and it was owned previously by the mayor of my town who is like 80 years old and drove it that way...it has already had 2 drive shafts and now i think the tc case is about to go....along with a slew of random crap that, in my opinion, failed about 45k sooner than it should have. Not to say that bmw doesn't have its issues but again, in my opinion, it is a much more dependable vehicle in terms of just starting it up and driving down the road...thermo had some good advice for you in his earlier reply...the thing i can't get my head around is that if you floor the vehicle it pretty much starts to break down rapidly and that for me takes some of the prestige away from owning a jag...engine and transmission should be car building 101...if you have a strong power-train then it makes the other faults not look so bad...just my .02
engine, non issue, dont fail etc for random stuff, tc cases. Yeah they go out, but keep the same size (pyhsically) tires on the car, replace the tc cooling duct underneath(most people rip them off going over stuff and dont think theyre important) you know the ones i see on 1 out of 50 x's. Change the tc fluid. Trans, early issues and replaced under recalls. If you have a trans issue, blame the japanese, its a jatco(japanese automatic transmission company)
2 driveshafts, must have been complaining about the howling they tend to exhibit. The biggest issue with xtypes, cheap assed owners that bought an entry level jaguar and dont amintain it. So they become plentifull in the amrket and need lots of work becasue owners (as a whole) tend to not keep up with normal wear and tear, and breakage. The one i just bought has been nursed along for the past 4 or 5 years and nothing ever hardly done unless broken. And Zoolander, remember even though you have low miles, you have a9 year old car and stuff goes out from time and lack of driving

Old 01-06-2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
engine, non issue, dont fail etc for random stuff, tc cases. Yeah they go out, but keep the same size (pyhsically) tires on the car, replace the tc cooling duct underneath(most people rip them off going over stuff and dont think theyre important) you know the ones i see on 1 out of 50 x's. Change the tc fluid. Trans, early issues and replaced under recalls. If you have a trans issue, blame the japanese, its a jatco(japanese automatic transmission company)
2 driveshafts, must have been complaining about the howling they tend to exhibit. The biggest issue with xtypes, cheap assed owners that bought an entry level jaguar and dont amintain it. So they become plentifull in the amrket and need lots of work becasue owners (as a whole) tend to not keep up with normal wear and tear, and breakage. The one i just bought has been nursed along for the past 4 or 5 years and nothing ever hardly done unless broken. And Zoolander, remember even though you have low miles, you have a9 year old car and stuff goes out from time and lack of driving
Very true! It is a nine year old car so I certainly expect problems...I think my point was more if you're not a meticulous vehicle owner, or a technician (like yourself), or a guy who is really handy (like myself), or have really deep pockets (which I'm guessing most of the people on this site don't have if they're looking up answers on this forum in order to try to avoid taking the car to the dealer) then maybe you should look at another vehicle. You're right this car was probably purchased by cheap *** people who wanted a luxury brand without a luxury price which means they drove them into the ground and then when the warranty was up they walked away...that should be even more reason to avoid them. The real B**** is despite all of the many problems that I've had with the car I still really like it...when the car works as it should there is nothing better I just felt obligated to share some potential short falls that an x type owner could run into. No harm intended.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:11 PM

And you just said what ive been for saying for years about the xtype.
And if you pull the carpet, seats and door panels and install dynamat. The car will not sound so much like a tin can and sound more like the rest of the jaguar family

Quick Reply: BMW Guy, looking to buy 02 X-Type. Advice?