Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bonnet (hood) catch emergency release

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 06:09 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Bonnet (hood) catch emergency release

3mm hole

wire jointing connector in place - needs taping away from catch spring mechanism.

Routing the emergency cable well away from the slot designed to take the bonnet release cable nipple

One of my x-type bonnet catches has been playing up. The drivers (UK) side (passenger side on LHD cars) catch became very stiff to the degree the bonnet would not latch, then after liberally soaking with oil it started to work again.

However a few weeks later the same catch would no longer release. This was particularly annoying as on the early 3.0 like mine the catch is very difficult to even see from under the car - leave alone to get at.

Eventually I managed to trip the catch by using a piece of 15mm copper pipe (water tube) but this was at the cost of much frustration , bad language and time.

There did not seem to be much wrong with the catch mechanism itself, but I cleaned the unit up in a parts washer and soaked it in light oil overnight.

Although I anticipate no further trouble, we all know that if the problem strikes again it will be at the most inconvenient moment, probably at the roadside and in the middle of a snow/hail or thunderstorm. I therefore decided to fit emergency release systems to both catches.

All I did was drill a 3mm hole in the side of the catch body and thread a standard bicycle brake cable through the hole. At the free end I fitted the steel cable clamp from a standard domestic wire connector. When the cable is pulled, the metal clamp jams against the catch rlease and pops the mechanism. The brake cable is routed through its sleeving to a convenient spot under the wheel arch where I have attached it with ordinary cable ties.

Obviously the emergency release is intended for emergencies only and it must not foul the ordinary working of the bonnet release cable. This is achieved by allowing plenty of slack to in the emergency cable to clear the catch components, and taping the excess down with insulation tape.

It works, cost only pennies, and provides peace of mind.

Last edited by Bogbrush; 04-19-2015 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Grammar, spelling
The following 2 users liked this post by Bogbrush:
Steve M (04-19-2015), TR64ever (04-19-2015)