X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Booster Replacement - Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Booster Replacement - Tips?

Hello All -

I recently identified that the two lean codes I was getting is due to a vacuum leak in the brake booster.

I've ordered an OEM Bosch booster and plan to replace it this weekend.

Any tips from anyone that's done this before? Do the brake lines have to be removed from the master cylinder?

Seems pretty straight forward, get coolant tank out of the way and then have at it....but wanted to check.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2017, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Yes. Pull up carefully on the side that goes in the intake. I broke the tip of and it fell in the manifold

Old 07-25-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by mark1210
Hello All -

I recently identified that the two lean codes I was getting is due to a vacuum leak in the brake booster.

I've ordered an OEM Bosch booster and plan to replace it this weekend.

Any tips from anyone that's done this before? Do the brake lines have to be removed from the master cylinder?

Seems pretty straight forward, get coolant tank out of the way and then have at it....but wanted to check.

Thanks!
What codes did you get? If they were P0171 and/or P0174 those are very common vacuum leaks. To remedy there is a brake booster HOSE that has a check valve bulb in the center of it. That is known to fail. That is cheap and easy to replace. Like, less than $50 and 5 minutes of time We don't hear too often that someone needs to change the actual brake booster itself. Are you SURE you need to change the brake booster? You could be making a lot more expense and work for yourself needlessly.