X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake-fade in the Wet.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake-fade in the Wet.

It's been raining here in the North East and whats grabbed my attention since I got this car last summer is this: my braking system has been under-performing when the roads are damp.

On the contrary, I suspect it's been over-performing.

I can smell my brakes; I can feel my ABS hampering the performance; I brake early at a stop but still end up a little further than I want.

On clear days, the Jag brakes flawlessly. Even on hot days. The car is absolutely the best handling car I've own so far. I've never had a car ascend a refrozen road effortlessly and hold the road in the worst of winter or heavy rain conditions. It has phenomenal grip and yet brakes like a pig.

I've changed my rear pads last fall; my fronts this spring; brake fluid is full; tires are newish.
Though, I haven't flush the brake fluid on my 11 year-old second hand car and can't find out when/if it was flushed.

On every morning start, the brake pedal is resistant and braking is sudden and firm. I can hear the system grumble each time I hit the brakes. The sound and strength of the brakes and pedals normalize after allowing it to warm up and driving for 2-3 minutes.

1. Is Brake-fade a common issue with X-types (2002) in damp conditions?
2. Brake booster problem?
3. How badly should I perform a brake fluid flush/change?
4. Should I upgrade brake pad? (they aren't the cheapest)

Old 08-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

xFyght, the brake fluid only needs to be changed out say every 2 years or so. If you remove the cap and it is looking really green, time to change. Should be fairly clear, maybe a light green tint to it.

As for brake fade, I can not say that I have experienced any other than an initial "slippage" when it is wet. But, that is true of any vehicle due to the water acting as a lubricant. so, once you wipe the water off, the brakes will function normally.

It is somewhat sounding like your problem lies with the check valve between the intake and the brake booster. In short, when it is cold, the check valve moves freely and can give you full boost. But, once it gets warm due to the under hood conditions, it sticks internally, resulting in you not getting assistance, making you feel like you are not getting the full braking.

If you want, come on down to California MD and I will take a look at your car. I am sure we can get you taken care of. It would be about an hour drive for you.