XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Not the same old AC drain problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 08:40 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Not the same old AC drain problem

i am aware of the AC drain problem, and have read many threads on this forum. My car has showed no signs of it until the past few days. 2 days ago, I heard a sloshing noise going around sharp curves. But I did not notice any other signs, so thought it was a bag or cargo sliding. However, this morning, I noticed the passenger footwell was wet. I thought this must be the dreaded AC drain clog. I pulled back the carpet, but saw a crack in the black plastic. At first I did not see any leak. Than, I closed all of the vents, put the fan on high and water started to spray out of the crack. Even now, I still have 2 puddles under the car, which makes me believe the drain is not actually clogged. I have a video that illustrates the problem very well. Does anyone have any ideas of:

1. Is there something I can seal the crack with temporarily until I get it fixed? Or permanently?

2. Is this a major/expensive repair? I am guessing, yes!

3. What on earth would have caused this crack?

Thank you all in advance.

Attached Files
Old 08-22-2015, 09:50 PM
Dan
Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

wow that is really strange. I would definitely be tempted to try to repair the crack with epoxy or fiberFix https://www.fiberfix.com/ . It's already cracked so there's not much else you can do to damage it.

Not sure what would cause this crack.

The following users liked this post:
Jpav27 (08-23-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

That is some amount of water coming out, if that was me and it was cracked like that and had to fix it anyway, i would cut a square hole and have a look to see whats inside. you can easily fix it by placing a plastic patch over it or fiber. I would have a look and see whats in there.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:49 AM

I literally made a "band aid" with some absorbent material, some plastic and some tape. It doesn't seem to leak unless the AC is on high. So maybe that will help until I figure out how I want to approach this before I patch it up.

I have been trying to find some diagrams online. But does anyone know, if that plastic area is just the AC housing? Should there normally be water or condensation behind the plastic in that location?

Old 08-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jpav27
I literally made a "band aid" with some absorbent material, some plastic and some tape. It doesn't seem to leak unless the AC is on high. So maybe that will help until I figure out how I want to approach this before I patch it up.

I have been trying to find some diagrams online. But does anyone know, if that plastic area is just the AC housing? Should there normally be water or condensation behind the plastic in that location?
On further looking at the video , there seems to be a finger size hole in the casing, how did it get cracked, was it kicked by accident, can you get your finger in to feel anything.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

just found this post, what a mess with the dash out, what kind of stupid *** engineered this part.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...l-55703/page6/

Jpav27 (08-23-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by powerhouse
On further looking at the video , there seems to be a finger size hole in the casing, how did it get cracked, was it kicked by accident, can you get your finger in to feel anything.
I wish I knew how that crack/hole got there! The car is still fairly new to me. I would have never found the hole if I hadn't thought the water was from a clog in the ac drain. There is no way it was kicked, it's difficult to get to. The scenario I have Invented as a potential cause is: someone was fixing the AC drain and accidentally hit/damaged that area. They didn't think it was a problem, and over time the crack has expanded? That's just a theory.

It's not a complete hole. It's crescent shaped with a portion pushed in a little. It's about the size of an american dime, so larger than a pea. I'll attach pic.

Thanks again everyone

Attached Thumbnails Not the same old AC drain problem-image.jpg  
Old 08-23-2015, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

I wish I knew how that crack/hole got there! The car is still fairly new to me. I would have never found the hole if I hadn't thought the water was from a clog in the ac drain. There is no way it was kicked, it's difficult to get to. The scenario I have Invented as a potential cause is: someone was fixing the AC drain and accidentally hit/damaged that area. They didn't think it was a problem, and over time the crack has expanded? That's just a theory.

It's not a complete hole. It's crescent shaped with a portion pushed in a little. It's about the size of an american dime, so larger than a pea. I'll attach pic.

Thanks again everyone
As you say Maybe it got cracked when someone else had the car , if you read the start of this post below some people were hitting theirs to release the problem. IMO this may have what happened, anyway if i was in your shoes i would cut a hole and see could i get at the tube from inside, you could push a pipe through the duck bill, and leave it in and it would drain the water, then fix the hole, it's cracked anyway, what have you got to loose by trying.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...in-fix-135630/

Old 08-24-2015, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

just found this post, what a mess with the dash out, what kind of stupid *** engineered this part.
Holy Mother, that is so intense!
Geez.....

Old 08-24-2015, 11:47 AM

As you say Maybe it got cracked when someone else had the car , if you read the start of this post below some people were hitting theirs to release the problem. IMO this may have what happened, anyway if i was in your shoes i would cut a hole and see could i get at the tube from inside, you could push a pipe through the duck bill, and leave it in and it would drain the water, then fix the hole, it's cracked anyway, what have you got to loose by trying.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...in-fix-135630/
Hey, if I hadn't found the crack, I would have given it a good whack to see if that fixed it, lol

Old 08-24-2015, 01:05 PM
Default Quick update

I sent the video and a pic to my friend who works at my jaguar service dept. They had a tech take a look. They said to just patch it with some epoxy or RTV.

I don't know enough about cars to go poking around too much. So I will fix the crack and keep an eye on things.

Thank you all for your help. I appreciated the suggestions and links. And thank you all for being patient with me as I learn

Old 08-24-2015, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

And it wasn't always that was with the drain design on a Jag. To get it fixed by a consumer friendly Jag dealer is just under 1K.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member

Was it the same design on the old xkr, mine always had 2 puddles under the car. There was never any problems like this, from under the car i could never see the a/c drain pipe either like by car now, but it must have been a better design.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

If you mean the X100, yes, different design.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:01 PM

You just can't make these things up: since the RTV will take 24hrs to cure. That means I can not use the AC during that time. It is hot here. So, I figured I would just drive my Lexus for a few days. I leave my Lexus at my father's house because he has more garage space. He had company over the weekend, and they had to move my car to get a cart from the garage for a BBQ to put food and drinks on. Apparently, when they moved my Lexus, they left something on in the car and drained my battery

On a positive note, I keep a battery booster in the trunk of the Jag, so I was able to test it. It works great jumped the Lexus, no problem.

I do not recall where I purchased it, but this is the one I used. I bought this one because it also has the air compressor.

Amazon.com: Wagan 900 Amp Battery Jumper with Air Compressor: Automotive Amazon.com: Wagan 900 Amp Battery Jumper with Air Compressor: Automotive

Old 08-25-2015, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

You just can't make these things up: since the RTV will take 24hrs to cure. That means I can not use the AC during that time. It is hot here. So, I figured I would just drive my Lexus for a few days. I leave my Lexus at my father's house because he has more garage space. He had company over the weekend, and they had to move my car to get a cart from the garage for a BBQ to put food and drinks on. Apparently, when they moved my Lexus, they left something on in the car and drained my battery

On a positive note, I keep a battery booster in the trunk of the Jag, so I was able to test it. It works great jumped the Lexus, no problem.

I do not recall where I purchased it, but this is the one I used. I bought this one because it also has the air compressor.

Amazon.com: Wagan 900 Amp Battery Jumper with Air Compressor: Automotive
FYI, I have the 400 Wegan version. Recently, it's battery failed to hold a charge sufficient to "jump" another vehicle. Did you know the batteries can be replaced?
I pulled mine and Battery Warehouse carries 22Ah replacements for $54.

Last edited by RedRider48; 08-25-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Jpav27 (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by RedRider48
FYI, I have the 400 Wegan version. Recently, it's battery failed to hold a charge sufficient to "jump" another vehicle. Did you know the batteries can be replaced?
I pulled mine and Battery Warehouse carries 22Ah replacements for $54.
I had to re-read this, because I read it quickly, and thought you were making fun of me, asking if I knew car batteries can be replaced, duh, lol I did not know the wagan battery could be replaced... Good to know. I charged the wagan overnight, and had to jump the Lexus again this morning. The wagan worked perfectly again.

Of course, where is the fun in just replacing the car battery? I not only got to test the wagan jump start, but tonight, I got to try the CTek battery tester, and am trying the recondition mode. I am getting to use all of my toys it is fun is a twisted sort of way.