Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken tube near throttle assembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken tube near throttle assembly

Hi all-

I was replacing an ignition coil on bank 1, and everything was going fine up until reassembly. One of the tubes that runs from the engine to the side of the ribbed rubber hose between the air filter and the throttle body snapped while I was reattaching. <insert PANIC>

Three questions:

1) What does this tube do? Vacuum? Breather tube?

2) Is there a replacement part?

3) Is there a temp fix in the meantime? Epoxy or high-temp foil tape?

Pics are attached to clarify what I'm blabbering about. In the 3rd picture, the tube is in the middle of the image. Thanks for the help in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Broken tube near throttle assembly-photo1.jpg   Broken tube near throttle assembly-photo2.jpg   Broken tube near throttle assembly-photo5.jpg  
Old 02-14-2013, 05:26 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello,
It's a breather tube, can you possibly show a picture with damage? That way might be able to advise better?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

There is a product sold in most hardware stores for dipping tool handles in, to give them a rubberized grip. It's usually under $15 USD,
here it is here it is
at Amazon.com.

Just paint this stuff over the cracks. It is flexible, and will seal and hold. Actually, it sticks to everything like all get-out - be careful with it.

It is also great for building up and repairing worn door and trunk weather seals, and works great on the ends of earpieces of your glasses if the cat (or you) chews them all to heck.

I use it a lot. I've bought one can, and it has lasted 4 years so far. The trick is to mix a bit of solvent in the can every 6 months or so after you open it, as it starts to gum up in about that long.

(It makes a pretty good no-slip grip in the bottom of the shower, too. Just mask with tape and paint some on!)

Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagman68
Hello,
It's a breather tube, can you possibly show a picture with damage? That way might be able to advise better?
Here are a few more pics...sorry for the flash blowing it out, I can take better ones when I get home tonight. The tube snapped at a point where it sits behind the engine...you can see where it broke in photo 3 in the OP.

Thanks for the help so far, I've been lurking for awhile but this is my first real post. Appreciate the assistance!

Attached Thumbnails Broken tube near throttle assembly-photo3.jpg   Broken tube near throttle assembly-photo4.jpg