Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bulb Replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulb Replacement!

2002 X-type 3.0

My passenger side dip beam is out. I tried to pull the plastic cover off the back of the light but there isnt enough space to manuever the plastic cover out of the way. There are some hoses and what looks like brake lines blocking the cover from easy removal. Does anybody have a solution??
Please Advise, thanks

Old 09-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Bulb Replacement!

just a shot in the dark, but much easier to check is the fuse for the light. recently i thought i had a blown bulb and it turned out to be the fuse. the enginge had recently been powerwashed (from the dealer - and this was the explanation) and some water got onto the fuse. i think it's a load of bs, but once the fuse was changed it was fine and has been for 3k miles so far.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:35 PM

just a shot in the dark, but much easier to check is the fuse for the light. recently i thought i had a blown bulb and it turned out to be the fuse. the enginge had recently been powerwashed (from the dealer - and this was the explanation) and some water got onto the fuse. i think it's a load of bs, but once the fuse was changed it was fine and has been for 3k miles so far.

Good idea, but I checked the fuses and everything was good. I still believe a bulb may be out.

Thanks,

Old 09-16-2006, 02:30 PM

Just got finished changing out the passenger side dip beam(inner). It wasnt easy![:@] You cant really remove the plastic housing from the back of the light, you just have to manuever it out of the way, you might have to reposition some washer fluid tubing. Then you reach your large hands into the smallest of spaces to unclip the bulb. Once the bulbs unclipped your home free. Pull out the bulb, replace with a new one(H1) and insert back into light. Then Test!! You dont want to put it all back together and then realize its not working. Now reposition the plastic cover onto the back of the light, snap in the clasps and thats it! Took me about 30 to 40 minutes depending if you acquired any cuts on your hands.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:37 PM

sorry for the dumb question on my first post, but how exactly does the H1 bulb "unclip" so i can take it out. my gf's driver's side dim just went out and im used to having Fords all my life, which are pretty easy to work on. im not trying to mess this car up but also dont feel like spending an insane amount of money for the dealership to fix it. thanks for all your help in advance.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:40 PM

do you guys also know how to adjust the headlights? my driver side is low and passenger side is high up. I did a bit research and they said there is a screw you use to adjust it but i can't seem to find anything since there are metal covers right above the headlights when you open the hood and looking behind it i can't see anything in there to adjust. any help will be appreciated.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

It's difficult to describe how the bulb unclips, but once you get the back cover of the headlight off and see the rear of the bulb, you'll see how it works. It couldn't be simpler.. really. I'm even kind of surprised that the car uses such a seemingly flimsy method of securing the bulbs into the housings.
As for adjusting the headlight, there should be a white plastic circle with an 8mm (?) hex head molded into it ontop of the headlights. See the red arrow in the pic below. Turning it one way will raise the beam, turning it the opposite way will lower it. I don't believe there is any kind of left to right adjustment.
Hope this helps!

Name:  headlightadjust.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  85.2 KB

Old 03-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

I think it is a 6mm hex.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:07 PM

thank you guys, you are both so helpful

Old 03-20-2008, 08:32 AM

so i replaced my headlights with white/blue lights (i don't know what they are technically called LOL) and i found out that my whole housing inside is moving around a bit. Not the light bulbs but the whole assembly that holds both sides together. Is that supposed to be that way?

Old 03-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to replace that bulb was a real pain especially when you have big hands.

What worked for me is that I had to move the plastic cover away. I could not remove it. and I wore plastic surgical gloves which helped tremendously since you can't touch the bulb anyways. Believe me the glove was all ripped apart by the time I was finished. Just take your time and don't force anything.

Worse case scenario, get somebody with smaller hands to do it for you!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:11 PM

i actually got everything done, and even touched the bulb with bare hands. (ooopppss) and everything is in place. What i was wondering: The unit itself that is holding both bulbs inside (once you take the covers off) is moving and not stationary. Is it supposed to be that way?

I mean the whole fixture moves inside back and forth left to right. Not alot but enough that if i go through a bumpy road it might mess my light alignment. Is there a way to tighten that up? maybe with that hexagon screw on the top? i dunno... any helpful info is appreciated.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

If the inner housing is moving it means the adjuster rod is broken. Some people have had success fixing them, there are threads about it. I have a drivers side that I am either selling to another member on here or I am going to attempt to fix it this weekend.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:11 AM

sounds like i got myself another project to work on LOL. ohh btw FJT, i just got all my windows tinted so i don't know how to make the mirror work now (as you asked me to see if it darkens and lightens. ) i know it darkened prior to tinting when there was a car behind me with their lights on. After the tint i tried to shine a flashlight to see if it would do the same thing, and it didn't.

how am i going to test that now my windows are tinted 20%?

Old 01-27-2010, 12:19 PM

I'm sure this is covered somewhere but I can't find it.

How in the world do you replace the passenger side high beam on the 2003 X Type?

As said above, I can't get the black over out of the way because of the ABS unit/brake lines.

Is that the right approach or do you remove the assembly from the front of the vehicle?

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:41 PM

It seemed like everyone has problems with the lights. I had a lot of trouble with mine when I had one of the smaller decorative bulbs burned out. (The one that's in the high beem, that's beside the actual high beam, and it is on 24/7 as long as the car is running.) It turned out that a car mechanic from Audi changed the bulb for me in like 30 seconds. By the way, I bought my 2005 X-type used from an Audi dealer.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:32 PM

i found it fairly easy to replace the bulbs i poked a screw driver through a hole in the slam panel to unclip the outer clip on plastic cover the other is easy reachable

Old 01-28-2010, 04:05 PM

Muddyjag - that is the exact problem I have. That outer clip!

What the heck is a slam panel?

Old 01-28-2010, 04:13 PM

the slam panel is the panel the bonnet closes on ,the flat panel above the headlights,there is a small hole in it that you can poke a long screw driver through and just reach the clip

Quick Reply: Bulb Replacement!