X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burn-outs anyone?

Old 05-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burn-outs anyone?

Just wondering if anyone has tried burnouts in these cars? Well maybe not burnouts.. More like messing around and sliding out. Not in the snow, but wet or dry parking lots, reverse 180s, or handbrake turns. I'm used to doing those things in other cars (FWD and RWD) but not in AWD. So far all I've tried was to bring it into a wet parking lot, turn it and floor it. It wouldn't spin out. I thought the back might kick out after a few seconds. I'm afraid to go faster as I've come close to flipping cars before and I don't know anything about how an AWD handles... which BTW is the main reason I'm doing this...maybe. Also I don't want to try a handbrake turn bc I figure it wont lock up just the rear wheels and if it did it would probably be really bad for the tranny and/or handbrake.

Has anyone autocrossed in these? Although I find it very slow after first gear...

Old 05-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Red face

I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing your posts in this thread soon enough...

Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 AM

Did you ever look at the test drives of these cars... some english guy drifting around a racetrack... I don't exactly want to do that, but I don't want to not be able to do that either.

Last edited by PeelsOnWheels; 05-06-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:40 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

burn outs should be reserved for american iron... euro cars for the most part dont tolerate this.
Jaguars, and most significantly the X-type will absolutely, positively NOT tolerate that sort of driving. you may as well take your bank statement and give your money a big wet kiss goodbye.

That said, in the snow the X is a lot of fun doing what you describe.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PeelsOnWheels
Just wondering if anyone has tried burnouts in these cars? Well maybe not burnouts.. More like messing around and sliding out. Not in the snow, but wet or dry parking lots, reverse 180s, or handbrake turns. I'm used to doing those things in other cars (FWD and RWD) but not in AWD. So far all I've tried was to bring it into a wet parking lot, turn it and floor it. It wouldn't spin out. I thought the back might kick out after a few seconds. I'm afraid to go faster as I've come close to flipping cars before and I don't know anything about how an AWD handles... which BTW is the main reason I'm doing this...maybe. Also I don't want to try a handbrake turn bc I figure it wont lock up just the rear wheels and if it did it would probably be really bad for the tranny and/or handbrake.

Has anyone autocrossed in these? Although I find it very slow after first gear...
Grow up..what you are suggesting is is ignorant and immature..you should have your *** kicked over your shoulders for even thinking about it...

Old 05-06-2009, 09:05 AM
ud

doing burnouts is fun, safe, and hilarious.... an excellent use of youthful exuberance....
much better that getting into drugs. buying tires will use up all your party money too - keeps you out of trouble. There is all kinds of car control learned, skid control, weight shifting all sorts of good stuff ot learn - so that if you get into a real world situation, you will have some reflexes to cope with it. THere is much to be gained from practicing "controlled" drifts/skids, and a whole heck of a lot better that experiencing an uncontroled one.

Did I mention that it is fun?

what do you mean by ignorant Colt? I just dont see the need to chastise. I do feel that the Jag will not tolerate it.

I had a lotus esprit a couple of years ago... I cant say what was more fun, taking it on the track, or doing some donuts....

Old 05-06-2009, 09:27 AM
ud

i posted this poll to get more opinions.. albeit from a specific group of drivers...
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=62944

Old 05-06-2009, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by jimmy
doing burnouts is fun, safe, and hilarious.... an excellent use of youthful exuberance....
much better that getting into drugs. buying tires will use up all your party money too - keeps you out of trouble. There is all kinds of car control learned, skid control, weight shifting all sorts of good stuff ot learn - so that if you get into a real world situation, you will have some reflexes to cope with it. THere is much to be gained from practicing "controlled" drifts/skids, and a whole heck of a lot better that experiencing an uncontroled one.

Did I mention that it is fun?

what do you mean by ignorant Colt? I just dont see the need to chastise. I do feel that the Jag will not tolerate it.

I had a lotus esprit a couple of years ago... I cant say what was more fun, taking it on the track, or doing some donuts....
Thanks Jimmy. You're right. I used to auto cross. My first couple of months, I would regularly spin out going into turns with continuously sharper turning radii. Eventually, I reallized how light the back of the car was and learned to control it. A year or so later, I hit a puddle on the highway doing about 50mph after it had rained. My car hydroplaned a little right. When it gripped, it shifted left and the deceleration from the puddle caused the back to start coming around in a sideways spin. From just under 90 degrees sideways, I recovered without much thought or worry.

I want to know how this car can handle if that happens. I cant get it to slide and I'm afraid to push it too hard. I mean yeah, Occationally if I see a sandy parking lot, I'll throw a quick left-right in to throw my back tires out in a FWD, but that might happen every 3 months.

Colt, dont be so grumpy. I'm 23 and I'm a bridge engineer working in NYC. My fun is limited to driving my car and going out on the weekend. So..get a life, OK? No need to take it out on me..

Old 05-06-2009, 10:57 AM
ud

Peels, are you guys hiring? I am looking for work as an engineer... Car parts manufacturing supply chain sure is a sucky place to have experience these days.. lol.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:45 AM

Make sure your car is still under manufacturer warranty, or get a powertrain extended warranty. I'm having my transfer case replaced as I'm typing this and mine is just out of warranty so my wallet just took a hit.

I can drift with my X in snow. Just make sure you disable Dynamic Stability Control if your car has it. However in dry conditions you'll have a hard time doing what you're trying to accomplish. The X is heavy for its size and combined with its AWD system, it is very stable even without DSC.

I was driving a Honda Civic this morning and I almost crashed it because I was driving it the same way I drive my X. I forgot for a moment I wasn't driving my X and the car just spun out of control, even though I drive my X that way daily without similar effects.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:31 PM

Jimmy, don't know about any sections rather than the bridge section right now. Check out the website> www.gannettfleming.com and go to the careers section. There are a bunch of openings but i dont know what area you'd fit into.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

You guys are trying to figure out how to get your sideways and I'm trying to figure out how to keep mine going straight haha.. Jump in my car and push the throttle down more that 3/4 of the way and hold on.. The car sits in place and the rear of the car goes 4 feet to the right, then 3 to the left, then back to the right, and the speedo reads 84mph and your still sitting at the green light... Lol be glad you have AWD, not disappointed... AWD has saved my *** more times than I care to remember.. Eric

Old 05-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PeelsOnWheels
Colt, dont be so grumpy. I'm 23 and I'm a bridge engineer working in NYC. My fun is limited to driving my car and going out on the weekend. So..get a life, OK? No need to take it out on me..
I understand your youth and eagerness for a thrill..Don't get me wrong, I was young once too and did stupid things with my cars as you are..and I paid for it dearly...I just find it hard to deal with, taking a nice car such as the X, which Jimmy mentioned is not built to roughhouse with..It is a classy lux car meant to be driven graciously..sorry for the hot head remarks, but take it easy on the X, Get a rice burner or something that can handle the fast and furious style of driving you want to emulate from the Vin Diesel movies ...But to push the X and then later call it a POS because it broke, would be an injustice to the car...

Old 05-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see someone trying to find a transfer case my crystal ball...

Old 05-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Well said

Old 05-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWD becomes useful when you have lots of power like ur modded STR. I prefer RWD for lower power applications. Say sub-400hp.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:24 AM
ud

for everyday cars, (like the jag)

awd is for snow.... period...

Old 05-07-2009, 04:20 PM

So I've always been curious how RWD does in rain? I had a 328i loaner once when my 325xi was in for maintenance. It just stopped raining and roads were damp. I took a standard right turn a little slower than I would in my car and the back end kicked out. I didn't think I applied too much gas but that was the first time I really drove a RWD car outside of a parking lot. lol It was fun, but if I have to drive slow around corners everytime it rains then I don't know if the fun factor of RWD in the dry would offset the AWD traction in every environment.

Opinions from people with experience with both drivetrains?

P.S. I loved how the RWD 328i turned so much crisper when I was just turning normally while on the gas. It just like shot around the turn so sharply. Completely different feeling than my 325xi and x-type. My AWD cars never felt that sharp during turn in.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

If that's what you reeaally want to do, you should buy one of these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-jAImScms

Old 05-09-2009, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by RudyF6
If that's what you reeaally want to do, you should buy one of these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-jAImScms
OMFG...that's it...I'm selling my X-Type.

Seriously though, that was some amazing car control. And towards the end, I've never seen and awd car rip donuts that were that small in diameter. I thought only RWD could do tiny donuts.

Search this Thread