X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing transfer case. Is there how to?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Replacing transfer case. Is there how to?

At 75,000miles my dealer just told me my transfer case need to be replaced - $3600(!). I called Jaguar central office and they would not offer any assistance.

Is there another option or DIY route? Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

TOny, look on the next few pages of this section. There's a few "how-to's" here. It isn't too hard, the hard part will be finding a good case to use. With that being said, you have 2 options: 1) go with a 02-03 case with the viscous coupling, or 2) go with the 04+ case without the viscous couping. The main difference is that the 02-03 cases with the viscous coupling seem to have a better all wheel drive feel to them. So, if you are driving in inclimate weather, the power seems to transfer around better. But, the down side to this is the cases tend to flex more and will fail sooner. If you do go this route, I would recommend having it rebuilt just to make sure that you have a good case before getting your car back on the road. The 04+ cases don't have the viscous coupling in them, so, you get a feel more like a rear wheel drive car. Great if you love to chirp the tires, but when you want the AWD, may not be there for you. The 04+ cases also don't tend to flex as much, therefore will tend to be more reliable. Either one is going to cost you about the same.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Tony,
The TC cannot be rebuilt. The outer shaft seals can be replaced and the seal on the LARGE nut that holds the case together, via a pressed in shaft from the other side. The "shaft seals" refer to the half-shaft that goes thru the TC and the "out-put" to the rear wheels. There are some precautions to take since "rebuild information", specifically torque settings are not published. If you try to replace the output to drive shaft seal you will need to disassemble with a torque wrench to determine EXACTLY what the torque was set to on the nut that holds the collar to the gear on the output to drive shaft, also the 4 bolts that hold the plate on. JTIS says to look at the "spacer" locations so you can put them back in the right place. Mine had a single spacer with a tab. The reason for torque wrench removal, the bearing inside is pre-loaded. But BEFORE you go to all that trouble, look down the hole where the half-shaft goes thru the TC. You will see two seals in there. Examine them closely with plenty of light. If they are scared, pinched or in other words bad you will have to replace the entire TC. BEWARE that salvage yards who sell these TC's may not take care to remove the shaft smoothly. JITS says DO NOT allow the shaft to come out more than 7" or damage may occur. jag_genius on this forum sells parts. I have requested one of these TC's from him a couple of days ago and he says he had 2 left. If these seals are bad and you go ahead and use this TC, fluid from the Tranny and/or TC will mix with no sign on the outside of cases. The fluids are spec’d radically different.

As far as the install goes. I have access to ALLDATADIY and in the Service bulletins states that the sub-frame no longer has to be removed to install the TC. With that said there are a couple of bolts that WILL BE very difficult to get to, let alone to torque correctly. But it can be done. Alot of shops will leave out putting back "the impossible bolt" but it can be done with patience and more patience. Your biggest hurdle is NOT TO DAMAGE the inner seals re-installing the half-shaft.

I plan to turn the TC on end, so I have a straight shot from the top. Take of the half-shaft clip-ring and lubricate the shaft. Carefully, using gravity and a steady hand, slide the shaft into its position. Then using a piece of steel bent to fit the shaft, much like the Jaguar special tool, attach it so the shaft cannot move in and out. Once I am ready, I will install the TC removing the tool and putting the clip-ring back on and attach to the TC to the Tranny being careful not to allow the shaft to slide in or out.

My dealer quoted me $2500 for the TC. AlldataDIY service bulletin says 3hr labor.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car22.jpg
Views: 5105
Size:  16.5 KB

Nice one jf

Old 03-28-2009, 07:33 AM

Thermo, Jfenley,
Thanks both for your reply. I understand better some of the critical points you mentioned:
* subframe does not need to be removed
* seal integrity between transmission and transfer case
* caution of rebuilt or used units due to torque spec unknown and again seal integrity
* difficult access to some of the bracket bolt

Did I capture all the key points? This seems to point buying new unit from Jaguar which will run around $1850 with $300 core charge. Does jag_genius sell carefully rebuilt units or new units?

Quick questions on the points above:
* Do you have to disassemble the front lower ball joint to slide out the front half shafts? This requires detaching subframe on the rear side?
* Exactly how do you access the upper left catalytic converter bracket bolt? Jaguar specifies special tool that looks like crowsfoot but with closed end.

I appreciate your insight on this.

Last edited by TonyX; 03-28-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

specially tool is basically a 13mm wrench cut in half.. and pryed to loosen the bolt off...

Old 03-29-2009, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the tibit, j_g. Looks like I need to find a sacrificial 13mm wrench and take a saw after it. Is there anything else you can think of to share with the forum members?

Old 04-20-2009, 01:12 AM

Just a quick update, I acquired a new transfer case and it has been installed. The loud noise is gone, vibration while coming to stop is gone. I'm very happy to have the quiet car back. Big thumbs up to Bojangles(Bruce) for his experience and willingness to help other forum members. Without his help, I may still be on my garage floor wondering how to get the transfer case out.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I need to replace my transfer case as well. Can I ask you whether you bought yours new or used? Also, where did you buy it from and how much did you pay for it?

I need advices as I have a 2005 X-Type and I'm having a hard time findind a used one that comes from a 2005. There are a few deals on eBay UK with TC from other years but I'm unsure if they will fit my car.

Does it matter of the T/C comes from a manual or automatic? Does it matter if the engine is 2.5 or 3.0 (Petrol, obviously). Does it matter if it's older (2003 for example) and my X is a 2005?

Thanks if advance :-)

Old 04-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

All of those specs matter and you have a newer design tc in the 2005 which I believe came out in 2004. So a 2004 or better is what you want for your car. Maybe someone might know better about the manual or auto - but I would say stick to exactly what you have.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:32 PM

I'm a little confused. If you look at this ad :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAGUAR-X-Type-...1%7C240%3A1318

It says "This Transfer box fits ALL 2.5ltr and 3ltr X-TYPES (both manual and automatic) from 2001-present".

Should I take it that the seller is full of crap?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No not exactly, all transfer case "may" bolt on the same for all x-types. However there are differences in the internals between the <-2003 and 2004->. Jaguar removed the viscious coupling from the newer design. Some people say it isn't as good in the snow as the older version but there has also been less problems with it too. I would stick to one that came out of the newest car possible (2004 or better).

Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 PM

Ok thanks for the info. I will look for a 2004+ TC but they are not so easy to find and I'm not paying 3k for a new one. So if they are compatible, I may just end up picking an older one and hope it lasts a few more years.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in transfer case removal. Please let me know how can I pull the shaft from transfer case. I tried, but i don't have special tool. Any family garage way to pull shaft 7inch from TC ? I have no idea.

Thank you!

Old 07-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Default TC "special tool" for "right output shaft"

The tool in question is simply a bent peice of metal with a through hole on the end so you can bolt onto the output shaft. If I recall correctly it is about 7" long. You can locate it in the Maintaince manual and I think it has the specifications.

The purpose of the tool is to keep the shaft form sliding all the way out. If the TC is already shot then you do not have anything. Simply remove the shaft.

Now when installing into the new TC you MUST be VERY careful inserting the shaft through the TC. Keep it level and centered. I turned my TC on it's side do I was looking down the output shaft through hole. I then, using the weitht of the shaf to keep it straight and centered, lowered the output shaft through the hole with kid gloves and as gentle as possible. I then was very very careful not to allow the shaft to slide from side to side as it will rip up the inner rubber seals that keep the Transmission fluid our of the TC.

I can be done without "special tools". Keep the shaft from sliding arround.

Good Luck. It is way easier if the engine and transmission are dropped. There is a blot on the top of the installed TC that is almost impossible to get to, even with woble joints.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:42 AM
Default dilemma

Gentlemans,

Thanks for the help, I removed transfer case and I recognised, the rear two hypoid gears (which turn drive 90 degree to rear) are done inside (and their bearings). All other part looks like a new.

I found a transfer case in a car from year 2007. Transfer case on internet. I'm not sure will it fit to my year 2001 car or not, Jag delaer don't exactly know too (typical jag dealer). At the good side it is a closely new equipment, but at the wrong side, I don't have money and time to buy one for a test.

Do you have experience the two type or transfer case before/after 2004 can replace each other or not ? I read that "maybe", but did somebody done it really ? Please let me know.

Have a nice day,
Istvan

Old 07-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Default jag dealer answered my question

A jag dealer said me not possible to replace all transfer cases with each other at X-Type. He said there were about 7-9 different types of transfer case. Differences are small between types and a lot type can replace each other but not all of them. Before VIN: ...D55321 is right for old cars like mine, but after that VIN the change was too significant. So be careful.

This info came from a dealer, I cannot check it.

regards,
Istvan

Old 07-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

What's the big deal with the 7"? Well it's because there is a snap ring on the drive shaft that holds it in the differential. Pulling the drive shaft out or putting it in without removing this snap ring damages the seals in the Xfer case. Think about this when you're doing anything with the Xfer case.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:45 AM
Unhappy new seal ?

Thank you for the info Tony. I was care during removal.

But ...

I went to a local automatic transmission rebuilder company, they repaired some transfer case in the past. The boss of that small company started the work with pulling the shaft quickly from transfer case. I shouted 'nooo', but he did it too quickly. I don't know how is it now.

At the good side they know which bearings inside (same bearings in skf or timken catalogs), they can replace bearings and shaft outer seals and they can fit the new rear gears well (yes, I found two totally new gears on ebay. God, thanks for the internet). They will do the rebuilding process for 35.000-40.000HuF which about 160-180$ including new bearings&seals. The two hypoid gears were about additional 160$, so 320-340$ is a good price for the whole.

But the problem is, they don't have new internal seal what we wanted do defend.... . Sounds bad if I can ignore all because of one seal.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts
Default 2002-2003

if you need to replace the tc go for the 2002-2003...due to the fact my cousin specialzes in the transfer cases for jaguar .. he showed me how to replace them and service them ...once you replace them knew put redline transfer cases oil in it to bullet proof it..no more headaches

Name:  100_0384.jpg
Views: 5690
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:  tcpic.jpg
Views: 5922
Size:  18.8 KB

Name:  transfercase013.jpg
Views: 5181
Size:  63.2 KB

Name:  transfercase011.jpg
Views: 6759
Size:  69.2 KB

The following 2 users liked this post by dennis black:
Panthro (10-03-2020), Thang Nguyen (11-02-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing transfer case. Is there how to?