X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C - is it low freon or bad compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 01:34 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default A/C - is it low freon or bad compressor?

So, here in the rainy state of Washington we are.........experiencing a pretty bitchin heat wave. I'm hard pressed to say I dislike it, but I wouldn't say I'm thoroughly enjoying it either. It's been about 85-90 degrees every day and with the humidity its close to being outside in Florida. With that said I discovered something that, living in Washington, I likely would not have discovered if the temp here wasn't so high. My AC isn't quite working to expectations. I've read a few posts but none have highlighted exactly what I've got going on.

Basically at idle it blows warm air if the temp outside is over about 80 degrees. Not hot, just warm. If it's cooler than 80 degrees I seem to get cool air. If its over 80 and I rev the RPM's up to 2K it begins to cool, but doesn't feel ice cold. If I drive on the freeway it gets cold. Not sure I'd say ice cold though. All vents blow cold above 2K RPM's so its not the thing that gets stuck and blows through the heater core causing the drivers side to be warm and passenger to be cold. It's either warm below 2K or cold over 2K (assuming it's still over 80 degrees out).

I would assume this is low freon, but on a check up I was told the AC Compressor was leaking or would eventually need replacement. It wasn't disclosed to as if it was major. Am I looking at the Compressor failing though, or is it more along the lines of low freon and I need a recharge? I'm not sure how the Compressor might act even if the charge of freon was still strong. Advice? Approximate cost if it is a freon recharge? Can i do this myself? I read that the High and Low need to be pressurized simultaneously to their spec charge or else the AC will never function correctly, is this true? Thanks!

Last edited by ugotmale; 06-30-2015 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

ugotmale, it is sounding like you have a low freon charge. I would say to stop by the local auto parts place and get yourself a can of freon (R-134a). Connect it up to the low side port (the ports are different sizes between the high and low, so, if the connector fits on with minimal force, you are on the correct connection) and follow the directions on the can. Recharge til the system is at the correct pressure and then see what you have. If you are still having issues, then I would be looking at the compressor based on what the shop told you before.

The following users liked this post:
ugotmale (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 04:19 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

And DO NOT use freon with system sealer in it!

The condensor on our cars has about a zillion tubes the size of pencil leads in it, not the big old ones that they used to have.

Anything big enough to seal a line leak is more than big enough to seal some of the tubes.

You'll get great cooling as the number of tubes gets reduced, until the pressure gets too high due to the reduced space for the gas to occupy, and all hell breaks loose!

ugotmale (07-06-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 06:16 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Unless you get the seal replaced in the compressor, (stopping the leak) you'll continue to lose refrigerant, topping up only injects air inadvertently into the system if you don't know what you're doing...and you could be losing small amounts of refrigerant oil as well (typical)..in either case, you will be looking at a major expense with replacing the compressor, dryer, metering orifice, etc. when it fails (and it will fail eventually if this deficiency isn't corrected)

ugotmale (07-06-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Low refrigerant level is indicative of a leak, and if the leak is from the compressor front seal, the compressor and dryer should be replaced given the age of the vehicles.

There are vendors who sell a 'kit' for replacing the compressor, which includes the compressor, refrigerant oil, dryer or dessicant bag and various seals. Depending on the source, the cost for these kits are between 300$US and 500$US.

It is also illegal to discharge refrigerant into the atmosphere, so the vehicle must be taken to a shop having the necessary equipment to discharge the system prior to any work being performed that requires opening the lines.

ugotmale (07-06-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 07:01 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Check the pressure in your compressor. I had the same problem here in Florida. Cold air when driving but warm when idle. I charged the freon but no change.
I ended up needing a new compressor. My local jag guy sourced a reconditioned unit at a good price. Now I have ice cold air. In fact, on LO it's too cold.

ugotmale (07-06-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 393 Likes on 289 Posts

FIRST make you depressurize you system and all the old stuff out,then put one small can in and run about with it,if not cool enough add more with a gauge so you dont overfill and damage your compressor, the biggest mistake is just adding a can with out getting the old stuff out then overfilling ,then theres your damage

ugotmale (07-06-2015)