X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper Covers for the X-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 08:00 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Caliper Covers for the X-Type?

Ever since I bought my 2004 XJR with the nice silver caliper covers with the Jaguar logo on them, it makes the raw and rusty cast iron calipers on the X-type look downright agricultural.

I searched the forum and I see where folks have painted their brake calipers, which is an improvement, and one person even put a logo on after painting them silver.
But painting the calipers only seems half-way since they're in two parts with a space in the middle. On new cars where they're showing off the calipers, its always a smooth cover with a logo.

Looking around, I saw some "caliper covers" for a jeep - and I see "universal" caliper covers that claim to fit the X-type - but a lot of those are made of ABS Plastic - and I wonder how that can be a good idea due to the high heat. They just look like cheap knockoffs - from the fake brake-lines and hex nuts right down to the "rembo" logo.

I did find one set that is made of Aluminum - in Red or in black - but it has a raised logo that would have to be ground off - and then repainted - to put a Jaguar logo on it.
Those aren't too pricey. Most of the cheap ones attach with silicon glue - some show giant gobs being applied.

I finally found a decent-looking set in black - but at $180, they are kind of pricey. The manufacturer's site - MGP - says they're aluminum - but they actually don't list them for the 2006 X-type - only the 2002-2004 models. (I don't think they changed the calipers - but maybe they did?) These attach with a clip and a bolt - no gobs of glue there.

Then I start thinking - If this was a good idea, then how come nobody on the forum has done it? and how come quality aftermarket shops don't offer them?

Anyone ever put caliper covers on their X-type?

Last edited by MeatBag; 06-24-2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:01 AM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm looking at the same issue. I have a set of MGP caliper covers on my XK-8, really like the way they look and want to do the same modification to my 2005 X-Type Sport. As the previous poster noted, MGP doesn't have set that fits; the fronts are okay, but Jaguar changed the rear calipers between 2004-1/2 and 2005 and MGP doesn't make a cover that fits the later caliper. Painting is an option, but in order to get a good job, you should really remove the calipers from the car and I'm looking for a simpler solution. The universal ABS covers hold no appeal and I'm not interested in a glue-on product. Has anyone found caliper covers that would fit a 2005 X-Type?.

Thanks.