X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cambridge version / Oxford version / other versions... Whay does it entail?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cambridge version / Oxford version / other versions... Whay does it entail?

As a new owner of a 2007 X-Type I got told that mine was a Cambridge version. Some other cars are said to be an Oxford version. So far I haven't been able to find any information about the difference(s). I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me.

A full list of differences between a classic, an executive, and a sport version, would also be very welcome. Does that differ per period?

​​​​

Old 04-11-2018, 02:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

oqouoq, I am not aware of any edition of the X-Type that was labeled Cambridge or Oxford. Sounds like someone is pulling your leg there. Now, there was the classic, executive and sport versions. The classic is your basic X-Type with the chrome grille and chrome corners on the bumpers. The sport gave you a few more choices on the interior, got a 25mm drop from the factory, and a few more options in the rim department along with a lot of the chrome exterior pieces becoming color matched pieces. That was about it. As for the executive, if I remember right, it gave you the Sport interior options without getting the sport exterior upgrades (ie, color matched corners/grille, different rims, etc).

The following users liked this post:
3bd2lr7mn (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 02:37 PM

Cheers for explaining about the classic sport and executive. Mine has mainly colour matched pieces where others have chrome pieces on the exterior, so it might be a sport version.

On the Cambridge and Oxford editions: I also see a good number of ads that include one of the two terms, but that seems to be separate from whether it's an 'executive' or not (because that gets mentioned with some but not all) and it also doesn't seem to refer to one engine type only (off the top of my head I've seen it mentiones with 2 liter diesels and with 2.2 liter diesels). Since I've only been looking at ads for cars in Belgium, it could be about the version/layout/setup that's specific for a country or region. That's just a guess though.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

oqouoq, this "option package" was not offered in the USA as I recall. You are probably the first that I have seen reference this sort of thing. I am going to do some more research as you have sparked my interest.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:14 PM
Veteran member

oqouoq, I did find a few references to the Oxford and Cambridge editions. From what I can tell, they were a very limited market release. In short, the car came with all the bells and whistles straight from the factory. It got the sport seating and exterior trimming, but they retained the "comfort" suspension (ie, non-sport suspension). The car was only offered with the diesel engine option. So, that would have been the one "limitation" that would be present.

From the sounds of things, Jaguar was probably trying to see if a "limited edition" car would spark interest and potentially boost sales. Because the X-Type faded out in 2009, odds are, this did not have the intended interest that was desired. So, it would look like you have a very limited car and should be something that in the future can be of interest to a collector or the like.

The following users liked this post:
3bd2lr7mn (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 04:35 PM

Thank you Thermo
It's nice to learn something about the car we bought (and about these cars in general). One of the things that drew my attention was that the wood in our X-Type is a bit darker than I've seen in other ones. That's probably part of the Cambridge option pack too then. It doesn't hurt to have yet another reason to take extra good care of it. You're a bringer of good news (news to us anyway).