X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant select gear!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant select gear!

Hi, girlfriend was driving and got to a roundabout. When out of no where I couldn't select gear. The AA guy said the clutch / Dual Mass Flywheel had collapsed. Funny thing is I was told this was already just replaced when I got the car 3 years ago.

Right here's the thing. I towed the car to the a friends driveway and only had a chance to look at it today. I noticed there was very little brake fluid. After topping it up I noticed it was running out the back of the car (Offside).

I assume this will be the 'real' problem with the clutch but I wanted to double check with you guys.

Problem is I'm not the main driver of the car so I cant be certain about spongey brakes or anything and I wasn't there when it broke.

So what do you guys think? Change the brake pipe and bleed the clutch / brakes?

Old 04-22-2017, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

You need to clean the area and visual determine where the leak. Unless it has been impacted and damaged it most likely isn't the tubing. The most likely is that the slave cylinder seal have failed and you will either have to rebuild the slave cylinder or replace it with a knew one.
You will have to fill and bleed once repairs are made.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:38 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I have never checked out a manual x, do the brakes and clutch work off the same hydraulics?

Old 04-23-2017, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The master cylinder for each is separate but they share a common reservoir.

The following users liked this post:
innzane (04-24-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 01:36 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

+1 on failed slave cylinder or supply line from the (brake) fluid reservoir. The clutch master cylinder is attached to the clutch pedal. Any fluid inside the car near pedals?

Old 05-15-2017, 05:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I'm a bit late on responding. I was on holiday. No fluid inside the car, just fluid near the rear offside wheel but closer to the middle of the car as apposed to the rear. I only got back yesterday and its been raining since so not had time to look at it further. When I get a chance to fix the leak I will post the results either good/bad.