X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrier Bearing - Can it be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Carrier Bearing - Can it be replaced?

Can the carrier bearing be replaced by itself? Or do you have to replace the whole drive-shaft?

Jaguar wants $577 for the drive-shaft plus a $231 "core" charge which is refunded to you when you bring back your old drive-shaft.

Where do you recommend I look for cheaper parts? Thanks!

Old 03-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

If it's the whine you're trying to vanquish, the shop I usually go to said they've spent something like 20 hours total trying to make it go away. They concluded that replacing the driveshaft or just the bearing itself made no difference, and while the whine comes from the carrier bearing, it seemed apparent that the actual source of the resonance that causes the bearing to whine is elsewhere. Some customer's car had almost all of the drivetrain changed bit by bit, until adding an additive lubricant thing ("X1R") into the rear differential finally cured it.

The same thing however did nothing on my car, so I guess there are several parts in the drivetrain that may cause resonance that then causes the bearing to whine.

Have you tried greasing the bearing?

Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My bearing is the non-grease-able type. I tried. No place to stick the needle.

My car does not whine (maybe just a very little when its cold out.) My car vibrates, from 50mph until 75mph. Sounds exactly like this guy's experience:

Post #2 here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-problem-271/

The Jag dealer says they do about one X-Type driveshaft replacement every month. That sounds extremely high to me, given the rarity of the X-Type and the fact that they haven't been in production for 5 years.

I'm still troubleshooting. Will advise of the cause once it's discovered.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also been following any threads on vibration. I can't feel it but I get a "hum" sound such as a bearing. It sounds like the beginning to a wheel bearing, however, does not change on turns. Also it is only there when there is stress on the drive line. If your on the throttle, you hear it.. just barely where the driveline will just about free spin it goes away, and if the engine/trans is going slower than the wheels you will also slightly hear it. Its not getting any worse...just annoying.