X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things to check on a junkyard motor before install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Things to check on a junkyard motor before install?

Hi all,

My 3.0L died, not yet taken her apart but it rod knocks rather hard. I've dropped the subframe and am getting close to installing the junkyard motor.

What should I check before installing this unknown engine?

I planned on removing the intake seals and replacing with new, was debating on doing cats since I know mine were going and its a lot easier to do out of the car. I noted there was a lot less carbon on the runners / ports of the intake manifold and LIM on the new one which I felt a good sign. I was going to spray carb cleaner and get as much out of the intakes as possible.

The junkyard engine came without accessories - power steering pump, alternator, a/c condenser. Otherwise complete. They hacked the wiring harness so I've removed that to install my original. No cats on the junkyard motor. I was told it has 70k miles, what do I check before install?

I was debating on pulling the oil pan, let me know if there is significant benefit? Should I do any lower bearings or stuff? M shell has less than 100k and I want the car to run smoothly for a while so I'm not afraid to spend a few extra dollar on preparing this junkyard engine for a long life. I'd rather do it once right than twice angrily.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Since is will be easy to re-seal the oil pan with the engine out you should probably
do that. The 3.0 engines all seem to leak there eventually.

Pete.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would at least take the oil pan off to see what kind of condition it's in. Any metal shavings? Any sludge? It's up to you about the bearings depending on the bottom end looks. It would be a real good time though to replace any parts known to fail. Water pump, oil pan gasket, thermostat. Plus you can always do a compression test while it's out just as a little reassurance.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pulling the oil pan and checking condition there makes a lot of sense. Just gasket sealer putting it back together?

Old 03-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

You mentioned most of the parts were removed, so check all the holes and studs they were mounted to before install. Make sure no studs are broke or missing and no holes are stripped out.
Give the oil a good sight smell check, maybe even do a collant in oil test just to ease the mind of that issue. Try and give the collant system a good flush, and look at that for any signs of water pump wear or any radiator repair additive.

I would use a gasket on the oil pan and maybe a lil liquid gasket on it.

I guess you already put a wrench on the moter and turned it to make sure no siezed, or the junk yard gave a warranty against that.