X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cat delete?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cat delete?

Hi my catalytic converters are bad, i was wondering if anyone had ever run their cars with "test pipes" I know that the o2 sensor might be a problem, so i have a few of the spacers ordered. One problem im having is finding one that is specifically designed for the x-type. Maybe i can find a shop that will make one for me. To answer the question you might already have, no there is no emission testing out here in the sticks, & yes i have a p0420 code. Any ideas? thoughts? concerns?

Old 09-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

They don't make one for the xtype and you are going to wish you had your cats after your car starts throwing codes and going into limp mode because it realizes there is something terribly wrong in the engine bay. The xtype is very finicky and will go into limp mode for almost any reason.

The following users liked this post:
unclefish (09-20-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

unclefish, while they don't make a cat delete for the kitty, what you can do is find the exhaust headers from a Ford 3.0L motor and use that. The exhaust headers will bolt right up to the block and then all you have to do is extend the pipes to fill in the gap. Just be ready for lots of codes to come up. The least of your problems being the P0420/P0430 codes.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by unclefish
Hi my catalytic converters are bad, i was wondering if anyone had ever run their cars with "test pipes" I know that the o2 sensor might be a problem, so i have a few of the spacers ordered. One problem im having is finding one that is specifically designed for the x-type. Maybe i can find a shop that will make one for me. To answer the question you might already have, no there is no emission testing out here in the sticks, & yes i have a p0420 code. Any ideas? thoughts? concerns?
I just googled catalytic converter jaguar x-type and found plenty of them

Old 09-20-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Green Machine
I just googled catalytic converter jaguar x-type and found plenty of them
yes, i also googled those but, i have heard that using anything but genuine jaguar cats are just a waste of money and time. xtypeparts.com has a few that i might be able to use. Here is my thinking; I ordered cataclean (i will post my review and results in a new thread) if that doesn't work, then i will probably use and o2 spacer installed into the stock cats. If that doesn't work then i will replace the cats with used jag parts. any thoughts on the new plan?
p.s. thanks to all

Old 09-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I always go used on my kitty. If you're doing it yourself, you can buy used for 25% of the new part price and if it goes out, you've already replaced it once!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:25 PM

i just recieved my 2 bottles of cataclean. i will follow the instructions and post the results. if this is an approprriate solution then all the better for us.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

yes, i also googled those but, i have heard that using anything but genuine jaguar cats are just a waste of money and time. xtypeparts.com has a few that i might be able to use. Here is my thinking; I ordered cataclean (i will post my review and results in a new thread) if that doesn't work, then i will probably use and o2 spacer installed into the stock cats. If that doesn't work then i will replace the cats with used jag parts. any thoughts on the new plan?
p.s. thanks to all
I found a few (New) direct fit OEM no cutting or welding just remove old and bolt in new and at reasonable prices compared to dealers.

Last edited by Green Machine; 09-22-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I emptied recently catalysts and assembled them back empty. Of course immediately appeared errors P0420 and P0430 and the noise is a little larger. I installed a device that raises the voltage of sensors with 0.15V (offset). This deceives ECM that the oxygen level is low. You can see in the picture below. There on one sensor device is mounted, and the other's not.

But it appeared that this is not enough because:
"The fuelling is cycled rich and lean (called dither) by approximately 3% to get a reaction at the downstream Oxygen Sensor (O2S). At the
start of the monitor, delay counters operate so that the fuelling is stable when the diagnosis takes place."

This means that ECU observed and reaction time of the sensor, not just oxygen level. So I put one tube that covers the holes of the sensors about 80% and thus slows their reaction. And "check engine" disappear!

The following users liked this post:
brennanlawton (02-18-2024)
Old 09-25-2012, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Luka
I emptied recently catalysts and assembled them back empty. Of course immediately appeared errors P0420 and P0430 and the noise is a little larger. I installed a device that raises the voltage of sensors with 0.15V (offset). This deceives ECM that the oxygen level is low. You can see in the picture below. There on one sensor device is mounted, and the other's not.

But it appeared that this is not enough because:
"The fuelling is cycled rich and lean (called dither) by approximately 3% to get a reaction at the downstream Oxygen Sensor (O2S). At the
start of the monitor, delay counters operate so that the fuelling is stable when the diagnosis takes place."

This means that ECU observed and reaction time of the sensor, not just oxygen level. So I put one tube that covers the holes of the sensors about 80% and thus slows their reaction. And "check engine" disappear!
I dont really understand what you did or why it worked. forgive my technical ineptitude. could you explain further? what were the tubes you covered? could an o2 spacer be used for the same effect

Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

could an o2 spacer be used for the same effect
It should. But I do not know how long it should be. And what a bore diameter. It is different for different engines for success.
Sorry for my english. It is very difficult to me to expressing right. Just want to share my experience to help.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:52 PM

used 2 bottles of Cataclean on my engine over the course of 2 weeks. Put in premium fuel AND octane booster. took it to the jag dealer. they said it is the O2 sensors now (already had those codes) and that the p0420 code is not there. Also the 'smell' of what i would call and engine running rich is gone. I assume this is also the smell of the exhaust being clogged by the cats. It definitely has more power. cruising at 100mph is not sweat for this 10 year old car.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

p.s. thanks to all
Yes anything but the genuine Jaguar cats are a waste, I talked to the tech guy at a jag dealer and he said he has tried different cats, or modified universal cats, but it just doesnt work.... i have the same problem mine are bad but idk what im going to do!

Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts