X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL & Cruise not availble reading

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CEL & Cruise not availble reading

Hi Guys, i've got an 02 X-type with 72k milesand as were appraoching winter its doing somethin it did last year which hasnt happened all summer. I get a CEL and then sporatically i'll get the "cruise not avail" message and the car goes into limp mode for about a minute. I need to get the codes pulled but does anyone know what i could do before taking it to the dealer? It appears to be weather related since it only does it when its colder out...

thanks

Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CEL & Cruise not availble reading

The cruise not available may be due to the limp mode. I have noticed that on my car in the past... As soon as I fix the issue and clear the code, the message for cruise goes away. As for what the problem is for your CEL... it is impossible to tell with the information that you gave. All you said is that you have a CEL. I would take the car in to an auto parts store and have them pull the codes for you (alot of them do it for free) and then post what code it is so that we know where to start.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:15 PM

May be a complete red herring (what I'm about to say) but my 02 X-type used to report the same...'Cruise not available' and I must admit was fixed by the dealer uprating some switch/contact near the clutch pedal. If memory serves me right they reckoned that even the slightest pressure on the clutch pedal (we call it riding the clutch) will trigger the warning but with the uprated part there is a greater tolerance which just allows for when you inadvertantly fail to remove your foot off the pedal completely. Anyway, mine hasn't done this since the part was exchanged under warranty approx 3 years ago!Mystified by the weather pattern effecting this issue but then as from my recent posts increment weather seems to bring the demons out of the closet!

Old 11-06-2007, 05:39 PM

thanks for the feedback, i'll see if i can get by the autoparts store and pull the code. From there i guess we'll have a little more direction as to what the problem could be. I though i would just ask first incase this was a common issue

Old 11-06-2007, 05:43 PM

Having it happen in cold weather only does ring a couple things to mind, but I hate to send you on a fix-it tangent when the code can tell so much info to narrow it down. lol. Once you have the info (please get the meaning of the code too - not just the number) we should be able to tell you much more.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: matl

Hi Guys, i've got an 02 X-type with 72k milesand as were appraoching winter its doing somethin it did last year which hasnt happened all summer. I get a CEL and then sporatically i'll get the "cruise not avail" message and the car goes into limp mode for about a minute. I need to get the codes pulled but does anyone know what i could do before taking it to the dealer? It appears to be weather related since it only does it when its colder out...

thanks
Matl, I had the same issue up until this weekend. Do what Aquil recommends on page 1 of this thread : https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_29597..._4/key_/tm.htm and I'd bet that you fix the problem!

Old 11-20-2007, 05:39 AM

Im dropping mine off this morning with the same exact issue, only does it in the cold. I had this issue last winter and they apparently fixed it, (it was good all summer), but now its cold again, and its acting up again. Ill post later tonight, with an update...

Old 11-20-2007, 01:46 PM

ORIGINAL: andersen06

Im dropping mine off this morning with the same exact issue, only does it in the cold. I had this issue last winter and they apparently fixed it, (it was good all summer), but now its cold again, and its acting up again. Ill post later tonight, with an update...
let me know. I thought the hose was my problem, but after two days the issue has returned. I havent had time to check the hose since, but I doubt it has failed after only two days. I'll give an update as soon as I find out anything.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:33 PM

UPDATE***

Ill have more info tomorrow when I pick it up, but long story short. They pulled the codes and came up with this....Thermostat was stuck, and one of the O-rings was sucking air...$160 to fix(we'll see)...

Old 11-21-2007, 09:49 AM

UPDATE***

Ill have more info tomorrow when I pick it up, but long story short. They pulled the codes and came up with this....Thermostat was stuck, and one of the O-rings was sucking air...$160 to fix(we'll see)...
that's a surprise. did you experience any overheating or anything to suggest a thermostat issue? My codes had indicated that the system was lean. I havent been back yet though to see whether I'm getting the same codes. Incidentally, last night and so far today, I have no codes and everything is fine. However, it has gone back up to 54 degreees here, so it may just be a reaction to nicer weather like before.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:52 PM

OK Here's The Deal:

I misunderstood the quote, $160 was for parts and didnt include labor...Basically they Replaced thermostat & IMT Seals...

Here's the damage:
Parts: $108
Shop Fee's: $86
Labor: $510
Tax: $5
Total........$710

Old 11-23-2007, 09:07 AM

OK Here's The Deal:

I misunderstood the quote, $160 was for parts and didnt include labor...Basically they Replaced thermostat & IMT Seals...

Here's the damage:
Total........$710
Shop fee plus labor. Gotta love it. Anyhow, goodluck.

Yesterday was 60 degrees here, so I had no trouble at all. This morning is 35 degrees, so I expected the lights to return. However, so far, so good. I have learned that the codes can clear themselves too, because the CEL was not reset by anyone, it just stopped coming on, as has the Cruise unavail light. The car is not in limp mode either. If I go to the mechanic now, he will find that nothing is wrong with the car, so I'm going to just have to continue on until the lights come back on and then take it to him.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:12 AM

My baby is running fine, Ive cruised the freeway a few times since its been fixed and it feels good.

Shaguar, even though the lights go away it still logs the codes, I waited one time and the dealer said I have about 30 codes logged. It might get confusing by then...Id at least have the codes pulled and then make a decision...

Old 11-23-2007, 09:29 AM

My baby is running fine, Ive cruised the freeway a few times since its been fixed and it feels good.

Shaguar, even though the lights go away it still logs the codes, I waited one time and the dealer said I have about 30 codes logged. It might get confusing by then...Id at least have the codes pulled and then make a decision...
Really? ok, I'll try to stop by there today and have him take a look. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah anytime that light comes on they are stored somewhere...any luck shaguar?

Old 11-25-2007, 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: aquill1

Yeah anytime that light comes on they are stored somewhere...any luck shaguar?
No luck. We pulled the codes, they were the same. We took off the engine cover. I noticed that when the car runs, the hose gets constricted and collapses on itself, thus limiting air flow through it. So we took it out and replaced it with a high pressure hose. The car was good for the rest of the day. However, I drove it later last night and the codes came back when I was idling in a parking lot after having driven on the highway for a good 30 minutes with no problem.

I have to look into leaving it at the dealership at some point, which sucks big time because the two dealerships around here are booked up for months. I wonder why . . .

Old 11-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Hmmm...thats interesting...more than likely not a good thing either! You should ask them why? Wonder what they'd say? I guess its still better the mercedes as they are like dead last for this!

Old 12-01-2007, 08:28 AM

Aquil - it turns out the dealer was only booked out for the weekends. I left the car there this week and just got it back.

The discussion continues here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_31199..._/tm.htm#31233

Old 12-01-2007, 08:30 AM

OK Here's The Deal:

Here's the damage:
Total........$710
It looks like IMT seals are the culprit. They found them leaking on my car too. What & where are they?

Old 12-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

yeah I want to know what they are as well...man I hope mine don't go bad[]

Quick Reply: CEL & Cruise not availble reading