X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center console doors

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Center console doors

Since I purchased my car I have noticed the doors on the center console squeak a lot. The other day I was trying to figure out why. I spray the hinges with silicone spray as they are plastic. Then I notices the inside of the door was sticky, leading to the conclusion that some sort of cover was glued there once. Any ideas what the cover was, or pictures? I have one piece of Dynamat left over from a insulation job I did on a Mercedes SL I owned a few years back. I am thinking of taking off the top door first, or cover, whatever it is called and fit the Dynamat and it self glues. However the Dynamat is not supposed to be used in exposed places as their name is all over it. So I think I will look for some paint, either ivory or a light brown to spray paint the top of the mat, as these are the interior colors of the car. Or is it a different color then the rest of the interior? Also, if there is a stock cover under those doors/covers what was the original material.

If someone could get back to me I would really appreciate it, as I have the ambition to do this and it is relative easy on my back.

Chi Ga (PS, what does the icon look mean?). I am a icon, as least I have been told that because of my work I am a living legend.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

mines a squeaker too i think its cheap plastic

Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, cheap plastic. Squeaks from both latches, the hinges, when it moves up and down, and sideways. Tried the disassemble and lubricate all surfaces approach last year but didn't help much.

Adam, there are rubber mats in the bottoms of both the upper and lower compartments, not sure if that's what you're referring to.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gragner66
I sprayed WD 40 generously on mine and there's no squeak now. I sprayed the latches and hinges.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

WD 40 is a good idea

Old 07-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Smile Center Console Lid

Originally Posted by Gold_04_X-Type
Yes, cheap plastic. Squeaks from both latches, the hinges, when it moves up and down, and sideways. Tried the disassemble and lubricate all surfaces approach last year but didn't help much.

Adam, there are rubber mats in the bottoms of both the upper and lower compartments, not sure if that's what you're referring to.
No, on the top lid underneath it I felt sticky stuff and a couple places where the glue was still there. Dry but there. I am wondering, if the inside of the top lip is lined with some fabric, leather, etc. I called the dealer and of course you can't buy the liner, in fact he couldn't tell me if there was a liner or not, you have to buy both lids as the top is riveted on and the the other lid is attached to the top on and same hinge and that is screw to the console. This glue is a blue color it also surrounds the area where the top lid when closed rest on.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Smile Center Console Lid

Originally Posted by aluni2230
I sprayed WD 40 generously on mine and there's no squeak now. I sprayed the latches and hinges.
I tried Silicon spray and it did nothing, I been told in the past not to use WD40 on plastic? But I found a interesting versions of WD40. It is a WD40 pen, you press the top and it sprays very precisely the lubricant into the exact spot you aiming at. The dealer is faxing me up a picture of the console and its parts so I'll what was there.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Smile Center Console Lid

Originally Posted by Gold_04_X-Type

My entire console speaks, It has slight play in it, so it moves left to right and it squeaks, open and closing the lids squeak and when you move the top compartment forward it squeaks, It is one squeaking piece of plastic. It is going to be cooler today and I can work on the console as it is a sit down job, I am going to pickup the felt on both boxes and see if the attachments are loose and go from there.

Guys Thank You as always for your advice.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Smile Center Console Lid

Originally Posted by gragner66
Yep it is cheap plastic and is not mounted well. But Jaguar had to cut a lot of corners to build this car so they used some inferior, IMHO materials. I am surprised Ford passed the car for production, but back in those days,
Ford wasn't exactly great quality as they are now. FORD stood many decades for Found On The Road Dead.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Smile Center Console Lid/picture from Jaguar

Attached is from Jaguar, it does not show the inside of the top lid, so I guess the parts guy was correct, he didn't know if it was lined or not. By the way you have to buy both lids as the top is riveted to the hinge and the bottom lid the hinge that attached to both is screwed into the console. regular price $259, I can get it for $204. not a bad discount.

But I hesitate to order it as I would like to know what is inside and around the sides of the top lid.

Attached Thumbnails Center console doors-jaguar-center-console.jpg  

Last edited by Adam Lueb; 07-14-2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: add
Old 07-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems we all have the same problem here...

Old 07-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine doesn't squeek.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

There are some rivets underneath the top lid for the sliding armrest, but no mats or other covering to speak of on mine.

Attached Thumbnails Center console doors-console_lids.jpg  
Old 07-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
I tried Silicon spray and it did nothing, I been told in the past not to use WD40 on plastic? But I found a interesting versions of WD40. It is a WD40 pen, you press the top and it sprays very precisely the lubricant into the exact spot you aiming at. The dealer is faxing me up a picture of the console and its parts so I'll what was there.
I've been using WD 40 with no issues. I used it to stop a squeak in my center console arm rest as well as the plastic fasteners near the front windscreen. You have to be generous and it takes a little while to start working.

I do agree the center console and arm rest on the x type are easily the worst quality parts. I'd have gladly spent decent money to get them improved. Arden had a nice center console upgrade but it was for Europe only and cost $2K.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Smile Center Console

I went ahead a used WD 40 in the pen I mentioned. I loosened the hinge at the second or bottom lid sprayed some WD under there and where the hinge pivot and also along the track the top box slides on. Then I work each part, Oh, almost forgot the hinge screws were loose, as well as the single screw that hold the box how to the console, under the mate on the bottom box. You need to lift a felt cover up, I used some pick tools I have to do this, it is glued down, but poorly and lifts up easily without too much force. After tightening that screw I spray some glue on the bottom of the box and pressed down the mat. I checked again to see if the hinge screws were tight. Then I took out the rear ash try and sprayed WD inside there as this box is under the hinge. I also sprayed where the ash try grooves are that open and close it. I haven't driven the car since, but I am going to the hospital today for another MRI and it is about a 20 minute ride, so I'll see if this helped. One other point if you spray the groove the top box moves back and forth on, use as little WD or whatever your choice lube is, hey that's my name spelled differently, but pronounced the same. you will have lube running down the side of the console, you will need to clean that a couple of times until it stops.

You know back when I was a teenager and a young adult, the girls use to asked me if I gave Lube jobs? I wonder what that was all about?