X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine light...again, need to vent

Old 10-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default check engine light...again, need to vent

So, i get up, cars been sitting a whole 48 hours, the wether is -10 celcius, get in the car start t up, nothing wrng, wait 30 seconds to get underway, start driving about 7 minutes in the stupid check engine light comes on, and i just want to flip *****, but i don't i contiune driving to my destination. So about septemerb 1st, i took the car in for the same issue, turned out o be some wrong witht he catalytic converter threshold, they cleared it. And i was on my way, i have a eeling its the same thing. What do i do, just replace the convert, if i do, should i do so with performance cats????

Old 10-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Disco, get the code read and then take it from there. hard to say what it could be causing the issue. If it is the same code as before, then going with performance cats is going to be your call. may gain a little bit, but probably not much overall unless you have plans for an entire new exhaust system. Most of your gain will be from getting a cat that won't be as clogged as the old one.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Disco get the codes read and come back. Our X's are notorious for vacuum leaks showing up more when it gets cold. Can't remember what year you have but if you haven't yet changed the three culprits, you should.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

2002, yeah ill bite the dust agin and pay the 65 bucks, im starting to wonder if i should just buy a code reader

Old 10-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

read my thread my (x-type projects and install) start from there, get the code reader
we all will help you ....and you will save a trip to the dealer and money...thermo and disco stu55 are right you need a code reader....

Old 10-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

okay, so, what brand, name, model code reader do i need, how much am i looking at and where can i pick one up???

Old 10-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where do you live Disco? When the check engine light comes on, if you have one near you, take it to AutoZone. They'll check the codes for free. If you don't have an autozone, a lot of auto parts stores will do the same thing for free.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dennis black
read my thread my (x-type projects and install) start from there, get the code reader
we all will help you ....and you will save a trip to the dealer and money...thermo and disco stu55 are right you need a code reader....

Thats a really big thread lol

No way man, here in the midddle of oil/ petrochemical production ville, they charge for everything, no place in town does it for free, i checked. Plus were more of a truck town, and they have company garages, which charge even more for a little jag.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

theres a write up ...all you got to do is spend $40 on a code checker...and follow the steps, page 12 lol

Old 10-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

kk, so does it matter what kind of code reader

Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Veteran member

Disco, the type of code reader doesn't really matter. What separates a $70 (CDN) unit from a $4000 (CDN) unit is the ability to read the other computers (ie, ABS, Tranny, etc) and then also getting real time engine parameters. The $70 unit will just tell you the 5 character code. It isn't till you get into the $400 (CDN) or so units that you start to get additional features. But, you figure for the one time that you get your car read, that will pretty much buy a cheap OBD-II code reader.

Check out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD-I...motiveQ5fTools
They have one for sale for $36 (USD, about $50 CDN) delivered to your house. Nothing fancy, but it will tell you what you need to know. If you are wanting something with more features and you have a laptop/PDA, then there are kits out there that you can get the software and cable and use your laptop to access the car data. THen, depending on the software, you can access all sorts of data. I know the cable I had I could view all sorts of real time info and I paid like $125 (USD) for the cable and program. It more than paid for itself.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

I picked up a Can Tech hand held CAN/OBDII unit fairly cheap here in Canada. Think it was $40. Can't remember where but most parts stores should have them.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

alright, i like thermos idea, incase future problems arise, but i might jsut go the handheld unit like mohrd, sadly i havn't got time to go out and get a laptop, that i like. But will do if i continue to own jaguars, and other uropean cars. lol. So how do i read the data from these readers

Old 10-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

I use an Innova 3130. It is an invaluable tool when you you have several vehicles. It can be linked to a PC as well.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

geez ya'll want to get all expensive. I use a $60 OBII I got from Mac tools, works fine, I can read and clear codes. And I dont have to find or wait for the 3 in the shop. And if is a cat efficiency code(doesnt meen theyre clogged, just not up to par cleaning th eexhuast) theyre covered for 8/80 and need to be replaced. You would be very hard pressed to do aftermarket performance, especially the rear one. Since you would have to fab the whole thing, could be done, but then you did buy a Jaguar, I meen a Xtype

Old 10-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

ouch, that stings BRUTAL, lol, yeah i ge that when people actaully know waht the x type is, A jazzed ip forad taurus/mondeo, but screw it, rather have theis then another honda/ford. So ar these code readers availble at canadain tire or napa, i hate ordering stuff off the internet

Old 10-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco stu55
ouch, that stings BRUTAL, lol, yeah i ge that when people actaully know waht the x type is, A jazzed ip forad taurus/mondeo, but screw it, rather have theis then another honda/ford. So ar these code readers availble at canadain tire or napa, i hate ordering stuff off the internet
lol welll glad you have a sense of humor. we have said it before on here. The X is okay if YOU LIKE IT. because although it is the least expensive Jaguar to get into, many times it is the most expensive to own. And yes you should be able to get a generic code reader ocally, but I dont know you said youre in a trucking town??? ICE ROAD TRUCKERS?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Veteran member

Disco, reading the codes is really tough. You open up the driver's door, reach under the edge of the dash and locate the plug that is there. You plug in the code reader, turn on the code reader (if needed), and then insert your car key and turn it to the RUN position (can start the car or not, doesn't matter). From there, the reader will say it is running/scanning and in a few seconds, it will pop up the codes. Tough I know.

As for where to buy locally, if you are in a trucking town, almost all the local stores that deal with auto parts should be able to hook you up. Even places like Autozone/Checkers/Advance/Napa/etc will carry the cheapy models. For that matter, if you have Northern Tool or Harbor Freight, they tend to have them too.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
lol welll glad you have a sense of humor. we have said it before on here. The X is okay if YOU LIKE IT. because although it is the least expensive Jaguar to get into, many times it is the most expensive to own. And yes you should be able to get a generic code reader ocally, but I dont know you said youre in a trucking town??? ICE ROAD TRUCKERS?

No, oil rigs, oil drilling trucks, equipment trucks, pump trucks, etc. AND the big jacked up fors/dodges/ gm/cehcy's and the hummers with all the attneas and other equipment. I hope so, does it really mater about quality becuase they all do the same purpose, ill pick one up tommoorw on my way back rom school. And thermo, thats sounds so hard....not. Brutal what can u do. My dad (or somen else can't remebr) once said Thse cars arn't expensive to buy, just expensive to own, and he learned that the hardway from the old cadilac

Old 10-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Temp fell around 25 Saturday morning, and my light came on, like it does whenever it gets cold.

I'd love to have a checker that would clear it instead of bugging a mechanic friend to turn it off.

edit: just saw one for $60 bucks at Harbor Freight. It shall be mine.

Last edited by Jamey; 10-12-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: check engine light...again, need to vent