X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chicago Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chicago Anyone?

Does anyone from chicago know a good, inexpensive, reliable place where I would be able to take my 2003 Jaguar? I believe that my knock sensor has gone, and I have no mechanic experience myself. My car will not go over 3000 rpm and bucks while in the lower gears accelerating. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your local craigslist or the yellow pages for a mechanic that works on Jaguars/has a good understanding on how they work.

Call the dealer and see what they would charge to replace the sensor, so you have something to go by when checking out shops.

I wouldnt take it to just anyone who does it cheap.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

macmar, just wondering, if you are fairly inexperienced with your car, what has lead you to believe you have a "knock sensor" problem. Has it been diagnosed? It sounds as if you are describing "limp" mode and it could be something as simple as a vacuum leak. Are you getting a CEL? Codes, if any, read?

The other interesting part of your post was you included the word "inexpensive' with good and reliable in your desired mechanic traits. Ah, to wish for all three...

Old 01-20-2010, 01:08 PM

I had received a code from advanced auto parts. The code read P0332 and P1111. I looked in the areas for a vacuum leak that were mentioned on this forum and I was unable to find anything. The "cruise not available" comes on when my car warms up and my car judders when I reach about 40-45mph. I don't know any other reasons why this would happen. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Calling Thermo

Thanks for the code. p0332 is knock sensor B low input. There are lots of checks for shorts and open circuits that can be done. Sounds up Thermo's alley.Hang in there, hopefully someone will be along with additional help. But, here's some info in the meantime:

P0332 G : DTC P0327, P0328, P0332, P0333, P1648. KNOCK SENSOR (KS)

G1 : CHECK THE KS SIGNAL WIRE FOR OPEN CIRCUIT
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
  2. Disconnect the KS sensor electrical connector EN23.
  3. Disconnect the PCM electrical connector EN16.
  4. Measure the resistance between EN23, pin 1 (N) and EN16, pin 98 (N). Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes Goto G2

No REPAIR the circuit. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

G2 : CHECK THE KS SIGNAL WIRE FOR SHORT TO BATTERY
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
  2. Check for a voltage between EN23, pin 1 (N) and GROUND. Is a voltage present?

Yes REPAIR the short to battery. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

No Goto G3

G3 : CHECK THE KS SIGNAL WIRE FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
  1. Measure the resistance between the KS sensor electrical connector EN23, pin 1 (N) and GROUND. Is the resistance less than 10,000 ohms?

Yes REPAIR the short to GROUND. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

No INSTALL a new KS. CLEAR DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation. If the DTC is repeated, INSTALL a new PCM. Before replacing a PCM, contact Dealer technical support.

G4 : CHECK THE KS GROUND CIRCUIT FOR OPEN CIRCUIT
  1. Measure the resistance between the KS electrical connector EN23 pin 2 (W) and GROUND. Is the resistance greater than 5 ohms?

Yes REPAIR the circuit between EN23, pin 2 (W) and GROUND. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.
This circuit includes the PCM. For additional information, refer to wiring diagrams.

No Goto G5

G5 : CHECK THE KS GROUND LEAD FOR OPEN CIRCUIT
  1. Disconnect the KS electrical connector, EN23.
  2. Disconnect the PCM electrical connector, EN16.
  3. Measure the resistance between EN23, pin2 (W) and EN16, pin 100 (BG). Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes Goto G6

No REPAIR the circuit between EN23, pin2 (W) and EN16, pin 100 (BG). For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

G6 : CHECK THE KS GROUND LEAD FOR SHORT TO BATTERY
  1. Connect the KS sensor electrical connector EN23.
  2. Connect the PCM electrical connector EN16.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
  4. Check for a voltage between EN23, pin 2 (W) and GROUND. Is the voltage greater than 1 volt?

Yes REPAIR the short to battery. For additional information, refer to the wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

No INSTALL a new KS. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation. If the DTC is repeated, INSTALL a new PCM. Before replacing a PCM, contact Dealer technical support.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take my 2003 X-Type to Ogden Motorcar in Lisle, IL. About 35 minutes west of Chicago. They know their stuff. Not the cheapest or the most expensive.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Default Norm's Automotive On Lincoln and Petersen

I've taken our X-Type wagon there, and am very satisfied.