X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Pedal won't release back out

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clutch Pedal won't release back out

I have recently bought a 2006 model X-type 2.0D Executive Estate, and this morning encountered my third major issue with it (already changed starter and removed a lot of rust)

When pushing in the clutch pedal it does not release on its own. When I push down the clutch I am able to put the transmission in gear, but when I force the clutch back out (using a rope) nothing happens. The clutch does not "take" at all.

It worked perfectly the day before, and there is plenty of hydraulic fluid in the container.

Have anyone experienced this issue before? And can anyone point me in the right direction to solve this? Is there a list of things I can easily check to eliminate certain faults?

All and any help is much appreciated!

Old 11-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stephenkalas
I have recently bought a 2006 model X-type 2.0D Executive Estate, and this morning encountered my third major issue with it (already changed starter and removed a lot of rust)

When pushing in the clutch pedal it does not release on its own. When I push down the clutch I am able to put the transmission in gear, but when I force the clutch back out (using a rope) nothing happens. The clutch does not "take" at all.

It worked perfectly the day before, and there is plenty of hydraulic fluid in the container.

Have anyone experienced this issue before? And can anyone point me in the right direction to solve this? Is there a list of things I can easily check to eliminate certain faults?

All and any help is much appreciated!
I sounds like you may have a problem with the Clutch Releasing Bearing:

http://www.highwayclutch.com.au/imag...utch_works.jpg

If I´m correct you can except a big bill since they have to take the transmission off and replace the Bearing or you may just have a defective hose.

If it´s the bearing and you´re Clutch is half or totally worn I would see what would cost to replace it also since this jobs are related and would make sense do them in sync.

Hope this helps,
John

The following users liked this post:
stephenkalas (11-17-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

As John said above, unfortunately it's probably bad news. Generally there is a breakdown of the clutch, bearing and DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel). Did you have any noise or vibration at idle before the failure?

The fact that you have replaced the Starter adds evidence. What happens is the DMF starts to break down and bits of it contaminate the starter leading to premature failure.

In the UK, quality parts alone for the repair are likely to be 400-500 pounds. Garage labour for the job is huge also and would add around 500 pounds.

The following users liked this post:
stephenkalas (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 03:53 AM

Thank you for the reply, guys!

I got a mechanic friend of mine to investigate, and it turned out that the slave cylinder (clutch release bearing) was jammed. Even when releasing the hydraulic pressure, it didn't release. The bearing seemed to have been overheated, causing some sort of plastic material to melt onto the slave cylinder. After disassembly I found the clutch to be worn as well, so had to replace it. Luckily, the DMF seems ok.

Quality parts in Norway (clutch + release bearing) would add up to 4-500 pounds, but a friend of mine has a 35% discount (YAY!). Garage labour was also greatly reduced, as my mechanic friend fixed it.

The new clutch and clutch release bearing is now installed, and if the rest goes accordingly (fingers crossed), the Jag will be back on the road tomorrow.

Hoping to have a couple of troublefree months now before the next breakdown.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by stephenkalas
After disassembly I found the clutch to be worn as well, so had to replace it. Luckily, the DMF seems ok.
And yes, I had to take the transmission off to get to the broken parts. Didn't get it all the way out, but tilted the engine, and slided the transmission to the side so I got access to the clutch and release bearing..