X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch or Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clutch or Transfer case

Well after a year and a half it finally happened. Something big broke!

I'm having trouble diagnosing what actually happened to her. I believe/hope and pray I have clutch issue...but who the hell knows! Thus I come to the experts. Mods please feel free to move this thread to general tech section if that is where I should have gone first.

This happened Sunday afternoon. I was leaving a concours car show (talk about some amazing Jags). Car started up just fine and normal. Spent about 10 min under stop and go driving conditions attempting to leave the area. Got out onto the highway for about 6 miles. Came to a red light. Notice a slight smell, smelled like burnt ATF (didn't think it was me). I needed to be in the next lane over so when the green light dropped I attempted to get off the line quickly and move over (not launching or accelerating hard, just quicker than the car next to me) I go to shift from 2-3rd gear, there was a slight gear grind and then nothing! 3rd would not engage and the stick was like an ocean, tons of play. As I was rolling to a stop I attempted to engage 2nd, nothing. The car came to a stop and I attempt to engage first. Motor rev'ed, car didn't move an inch.

Had car towed to my house. 3 hours later...get into the car and the stick feel a little better (like the gears are there). Start it and was able to move it a couple feet in 1st and R under it own power (still a lot or revs and little movement)

Old 07-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Sounds like the clutch to me. I would think, although I could be wrong, that if it was the transfer case it could still move since I would think some power could still get to the front wheels? Like I said I could be wrong about that. But the smell of burnt clutch and your description of what happened sounds to me like the clutch is done.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:52 PM

It sounds and feel like the clutch to me as well but I've never owned an AWD car prior to this and the dreaded t-case just wont get out of my mind. My issue is that I will be repairing this on my own, and don't want to "fix" the wrong thing.

Are there any test I can do to confirm? Was thinking about getting the car up on stands and running through the gears with the tires off the ground, or one axel on the ground, or???? There has got to be a way to diagnose.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:42 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Well can you get to the t case drain plug? Loosen it up and pull the plug out. If it is filled with burnt oil and if its filled with shavings then it could be your T case. But to me sounds like a clutch. If it is your T case let me know. I have 2 of them for sale. both in great shape. Pm me and I will give you a price.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:59 PM

Good point Dr. First things first I guess...Will be draining the t-case as soon as I get home and will report back. If I have detonated my t-case, more than likely I will be taking you up on your offer. Appreciate that very much.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Ok. So I did two things yesterday. Got all four wheels off the ground and drove the car. The clutch engaged the wheels in first gear and got all drive wheels moving freely with no noise. I gently accelerated the car to 3500rpm in first gear. My helper noticed a wheel speed increase but not by much, or as much as he or I expected for 3500rpm. All four wheels spin very smooth and free by hand.

Drained the t-case. Fluid was not golden but certainly was not black. No metal shaving or chunks. No overwhelming burnt odor. Changed t-case oil with Valvoline synthetic about 1.5-2 years ago the very first weekend of owning the car (10k mi since).

Also, I forgot to mention. Ever since I bought the car, there has been a slight squeak from either the shift linkage, bushing, or....something. Every time I move the stick I would hear a slight squeak. The noise gets drowned out at speed and never really seemed to affect drivability so just one of those things I ignored, along with the stupid fan in the dash.

So I'm now fairly convinced my clutch has failed unless anyone can add something...

So now two questions
1. Do I really have to drop the sub frame?
2. What do I need to replace? (just clutch disc, slave, bearing, need stupid tool?)

Old 07-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

That definitely sounds like some sort of transmission issue to me. Granted I have an automatic, but I experienced pretty much the same things and then had to have my transmission rebuilt.

Also, I've heard that when the transfer case goes, it makes a distinct noise and can make it hard to push the car. If all your wheels are spinning it would seem like it's still working, but I'm not an expert