XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Rear Air Suspension Ride Height Fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 07:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Air Suspension Ride Height Fault

I have the air suspension fault light come on this Monday and the rear ride of went really rough. A couple of miles latter it went away ride return to normal. Next day drove to work no issues but then on the way back the same thing at pretty much the same place however this time the ride seemed OK. Wednesday got in the car starting driving and noticed right away that the ride was rough and then the fault light came on. Stopped a couple of miles later to get a coffee an noticed the the rear ride of the car seem to be at its maximum height.

A bit of history. 2005 XJ8L 105k miles.

Last 12 months issues.

Lats year dreaded cold ride vehicle too low.
- New compressor and Arrnot Front Air Struts replaced - Fixed

Coolant Leak
- New Water Pump - Fixed

2 Weeks ago New Rotors and Pads all round. ** Did have an issue where I didn't line up the notch with the V on the drivers rear side pad. Tested the vehicle and notice smoke from the wheel pulled over and rim and rotor really hot. Limped back realized my issue re-tested and all rotors now report same temps - Re-tested and now issues for a week.

This weekend replaced the transmission pan with the CTSC transmission kit and replaced the fluids with the ZF fluid. Went smoothly even no issues with the torx boly coming out.

I followed the process and video's which helped tremendously so thanks Jag Forums for that. I backed the car onto ramps and jacked the front with stands to get the car level did the work. Tested, drove like a dream no more lurching smooth as butter. Feeling proud and falling back in love with my cat.

Two days latter boom the cat scratched back. Sorry for the long description I just thought the history might help. My question are.

1. Possible the excessive heat from the rear drive brake issue may have damaged something. I presume there is a sensor around there somewhere.

2. Any chance the work I did on the transmission somehow is related to this. There are two pipes help by clips either side of the pan which you have to pull down to release from the clips to remove the pan. Not sure what they are.

3. Just a case of rear shock now need replacing.

4. I read a previous post about rear ride height sensors but it didn't really go to far so I am wondering if it may be that.

Again sorry for the long post this is my first and I must say that I love this forum it has save me so much money and been a great education.

Now I have to face the wife again who will take pleasure once again that she told me not to but an older Jag as it will just go wrong. Nonsense i said....

The following users liked this post:
Rob_XJ8 (06-23-2018)
Old 09-30-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

As always, do the research on here.
Do you possess a code reader (sdd preferably) so that any codes that are present could indicate the issue.
Having had the compressor changed and the front struts, I doubt any of those are faulty, so it could be a rear strut, the air tank, faulty height sensor.
Last but not least when you disconnect the battery or jack the vehicle up to carry out under vehicle work, it remembers the height and tries to recreate the height when the work is finished. There is a way to reset it, but I have forgotten how at the moment.
Getting the codes though would be my first option.

The following users liked this post:
Rob_XJ8 (06-23-2018)