X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code Reader Curiousity....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 02:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Code Reader Curiousity....

Bought a Kitbest Wi-Fi OBD2 reader off Amazon for like... $10.
Downloaded Torque Pro onto my phone.

Yay! Success!

I have no codes. So.... now what?
Can this tool be used periodically to just kind of check things over? Or.... would anything it finds that isn't within spec be triggering a code?

It also reads my 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe for which I found additional sensors plugin.

NEXT question:
If the X-type will display codes on screen... I have the Premium package with the Nav screen... does anyone know WHAT codes it will display? Would the onboard system display like ABS codes and C codes and stuff a basic OBD2 setup doesn't show?

LAST question:
Is there a reference someplace for what the values we're seeing SHOULD be? Like... fuel trims, fuel pressure, Oxygen sensor volts, etc?

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2017, 04:21 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

There's lots of YouTube videos on using OBD scan tools. Just search for what you're looking for.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

yardbird, try holding your finger on the valet button when you first start the radio. After about 10 seconds, it should put the radio into a diagnostic mode. from there if you can read the codes, it will let you. Otherwise you can read the codes from the instrument cluster after you decipher them.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The Inst codes date from the car's manufacture so if you read them look for any newer ones on 2nd and subsequent reads.

If that WiFi tool can do live data, check sensors and fuel trims.

It should be reporting pending code P1111 (or P1000 but that would be a worry).

Old 04-22-2017, 07:35 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It does do live data and I can see the LTFT and STFT as well as fuel rail pressure, etc.
However, I'm not sure what I should be seeing in terms of "normal" behavior and readings. I guess what I'm looking for... in the absence of any codes... is an understanding of the pressures in normal conditions with the thought that I could be spotting anything starting to "slide" off toward a problem before it becomes a problem.

Example:
For an O2 sensor I see volts. I assume it's ok because I have no code. But what's normal? Would I be able to see a trend that would allow me to say, "yep... I see what's coming. Better get prepared to change an O2 sensor at some point."?

See what I mean?

Old 04-23-2017, 10:02 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

O2 volts, one side should be steady, the other side should vary some. Around .8 volts steady, vary .2-.8. You could probably see a trend in failing cats. The app is best on a tablet so you can get bunches of stuff on the screen. You could play with mileage between sport and normal modes, or see the differences.
Not sure if it does wheel speed sensors, if it does that could give a heads up on failure of them. Just play with the app, long press is your friend on any screen. Videos help as mentioned.