X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused now - What exact coolant to use - please Help

Old 10-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused now - What exact coolant to use - please Help

I give up, after long research over the internet and some Jag forums finally I get very confused!

What coolant I should use on My 2003 X-type with 2.5L engine?

-User manual says ESE-M97B44-A (and most sites says this is Green stuff but now the car has some orange/red stuff in it)

-JTIS says ESE-M97B44-A

-Jag expert in another site says WSS-M97B44-D and it is safe to use Prestone Dexcool

-Some folks used Prestone Dexcool extended life (Gray container), some Just the extended life (Yellow container)

- Prestone tech support says use the dexcool only on GM vehicle

so is it the Yellow continer or the Gray one (dexcool) from prestone

Thanks folks

Old 10-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,822 Likes on 3,142 Posts

ocean, you have a few different engine coolants out on the market. In short, all the green coolants have the same chemical make up, all the orange ones have the same make up, and all the red ones have the same make up. The issue comes in being able to mix one color with another. In short, don't do it unless it is an emergency. This can lead to gelling of the coolant and other nasty stuff. So, if you have orange coolant in your car now and only need to top off due to a little bit of loss, look around and find some of the orange stuff.

Now, if you are planning on draining the system, doing a flush and then refilling the system, you can use whatever color you want. They all do a good job and won't adversely affect the engine. The trick is making sure that if you are going to be adding the green coolant, that you have all the orange stuff out.

I hope this answers your question. If I need to explain it a little more, let me know. I will go into as much detail as it takes to answer this.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:52 PM

Thank you very much Thermo, I am going drain the system, clean it with prestone-flush kit and fill it with prestone-dexcool (orange juice) extended 5/150. If this sounds right I'll go for it! please let me know and Thanks again

Old 10-15-2010, 03:58 PM

ps: Thermo looks like I am limited on my account when I go to another posts with attachments or pictures I am getting blocked, I can't view the photo gallery or the pics. If you can help me with this would be great.

Thx again (couldn't send private msg to any moderator for this issue as well)

Last edited by ocean; 10-15-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by ocean
ps: Thermo looks like I am limited on my account when I go to another posts with attachments or pictures I am getting blocked, I can't view the photo gallery or the pics. If you can help me with this would be great.

Thx again (couldn't send private msg to any moderator for this issue as well)
ocean, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. [*]

Old 10-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,822 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Ocean, you are doing the same thing I did with my car. So, enjoy. It is an easy job. Use the orange juice and be happy.

As for not being able to send messages, read the "new members" FAQ section in the "New Member area. The site is set up to limit your initial access from sending messages and posting pictures due to people signing up to just do spamming of the site. Post a few more times (get up to 10) and it should unlock your account automatically. THen you can send messages and look at all the pictures you want.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:13 PM

Thermo, thank you very much for the info, helped me to decide what to do.

1- Filled the freshly squized "orange juice"
2- Got some good organic "honey" called "5W-30 Castrol Edge"

I Guess my car got some good breakfast to keep up with the rough work