X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my radio... PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my radio... PLEASE!

Okay so I have had the worse luck with this car. So any help with this issue will help. I have 2002 jaguar x-type and I had some battery work done on the car and of course it caused the radio to ask for a code. Well I got the code from the dealership and tried putting it in. Well it didn't work. It just locked me out again. So the dealer asked me to take it in and for about $110 they would look at it. Well that's a lot to just look at it. I just need it reset and besides I live about 2 hours away from the dealer so I couldn't just stop by and drop it off. Is there anyway to reset it myself? I would really appreciate any help.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Brat, unfortuntaly, it sounds like at some point the radio had issues and a new unit was put in the car. So, the radio code that you have is for the old unit. You would need the code for the new radio. But, this is just a guess as I don't know the whole maintenance history of the car.

As for resetting it, the only thing that you can really do is disconnect the battery to clear whatever the radio may have in it again. But, this will more than likely ask for the code again. So, you would be back to square one.

The other option is to see if you can hit the "MENU" button and change the location inside the radio. The code feature is only associated with certain markets (ie, not in the US, but in the EU). If you can change the location, it may bypass the code. The big thing is getting to the point of changing the location first.

As for the cost of looking at the radio, unfortunately, that is a "minimum" charge that the dealership has. MOst dealerships have a "1 hour minimum" charge when it comes to service. So, even if it only takes 5 minutes to fix, they have to charge the 1 hour of labor, which appears to be at the rate of $110/hr.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Once the radio displays CODE you cannot get into the menu to change Markets (countries). You need to remove the radio and get the SERIAL NUMBER to obtain the CODE from the dealer. They will log into DDW and get the code for that particular Serial Number. They may want proof-of-ownership before issuing a code because you could steal a radio and ask for the code and that defeats the reason for the code in the first place!!!! If you take your car in to the dealer they will remove the radio to read the serial number and charge labor for this. If you remove the radio you might save yourself some money. (call and see what the policy is)

bob gauff