X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering new X-Type. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Considering new X-Type. Thoughts?

Hello,

This is my first post here. I'm a long time member of www.saabcentral.com and an owner of a 2003 Saab 93. The reason I am here is because I would like to trade my Saab in for a new car and the X-Type happens to be one of my favorites on the list.

After driving my brother's Audi A4 Quattro, I know I definitely want an AWD vehicle. My options for an AWD under $32K seem to be very limited: Lexus IS250, VW Passat, Audi A4, and the X-Type. I like the A4 and how it drives, but coming from a 2.0 turbo engine (Saab), I would like a V6 this time.

What I wanted to know from you are the things that reviews from Edmunds, ConsumerReports, and others don't cover.

1. How reliable is the car? How often do you visit the dealership for non-maintenance service?
2. How do you rate the quality of the car's interior materials/finish? My Saab has horrible quality of interior parts that constantly peal and squeak. Do you notice that in the X-Type?
3. How do you rate the exterior paint quality?
4. Do you notice any rattles/noises when driving the car?
5. In general, and if you have done any work yourself, how expensive are the parts and their availability compared to others?
6. Finally, the 93, while unique in its own way, is made of GM parts and you can tell. How does the Jag compare since its made by Ford? Do you see a lot of Ford parts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Considering new X-Type. Thoughts?

Graham's analysis is good. Here's my thoughts:

Reliability - I ran my 03 2.5 38K miles - up until 20K I had the car in the shop for a number of minor problems - the popping defroster vents, broken trunk lift assists, etc. After these minor problems went away at 20K, the car was absolutely a delight. So much so that I swapped it for another X. I have 9K miles on the new one with no problems so far.

Quality of interior: First rate on both X Types I've owned.

Exterior paint quality: Best paint jobs I've ever seen. The 03 I had was BRG, and, the paint seemed somewhat prone to chipping. The 06 has mettalic paint and it seems much more impevious to the wear and tear of interstate travel.

Rattles/noises: My 03 squeaked and rattled a bit in really cold weather. The 06 is dead quiet, but, has a bit more exhaust and drivetrain noise at speed.

Do-it-yorself: I do my own oil changes, tire rotations, etc. on my Jags. No problems yet getting filters, etc. from my local Autozone and Advance outlets. Car's not any harder to work on than my 05 Chrysler.

Ford Parts: I found a Ford label on one of the fuel injection lines, and that's it so far. A Ford oil filter will fit the car as well. If there are other parts labeled Ford, they're very well hidden.

Hope this helps.
Oldengineer

Old 11-14-2006, 05:20 PM

Thank you all for your comments and expertise, this is certainly helping me in getting closer to a decision. I test drove the Lexus last night, ehh...it was nice, but screams Jap. Once you go European, you're petty much doomed because all you'll accept afterwards are European cars. I called around and found (3) 2006 X-Types with the specs I am looking for (pretty much just the base model). I am going today to test drive it again (I only drove the 2.5 in the past).

I understand what you mean about wanting a Jag simply because its a Jag. No doubt its a beautiful car and hearing the name Jaguar just triggers a special thought in everyone's mind about luxury. Hopefully that, combined with a great impression from the test drive today will be the deciding factor for me.

Thank you again.

Old 11-19-2006, 02:15 PM

In the garage is a 2006 black on black with Moonroof package, backup assist and stability control I LOVE IT, what a beautiful car to look at and drive.

Thanks to everyone here whom helped me decide on the X-Type.

Glad to be a member of the baby Jag family

Old 11-19-2006, 02:21 PM

In the garage is a 2006 black on black with Moonroof package, backup assist and stability control I LOVE IT, what a beautiful car to look at and drive.

Thanks to everyone here whom helped me decide on the X-Type.

Glad to be a member of the baby Jag family

Old 11-20-2006, 12:30 AM

Congratulations. Now you will be obsessed with keeping her clean and waxed like the rest of us.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 11-20-2006, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Waxed and cleaned? You guys have time for that??

________
Latina Cams

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:34 AM

I make time to keep the cat clean and waxed - drives me batty when she's dirty.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 11-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

;-( don't look at mine..been about 3 weeks now since she got a warm bath...your making me feel guilty ....
________
LovelyWendie

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

3 weeks? your keys should be taken away. of course i have always been overboard when it comes to keeping cars clean. my baby gets a hand wash at least once a week, sometime twice. monthly waxing as well. found a really good hand wash place that only charges me $11 for inside and out, with armor all on the tires. down side is that is is a 20 min drive for me, but to me it's worth it.

Old 11-23-2006, 01:25 AM

Racer - don't feel too bad. My cat'll get a bit dirtier than I like now - because its freezing outside, and, I can't wash her as often as I like. At least my new car is a lighter color than my old one. BRG really shows the dirt.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 11-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

I can't drive a car that's dirty no matter what it is. My xls ford escape is always clean even though its the lowest and cheapest model they sell. These jags though are awesome. Local people whom drive them are so freakin' fun! I went to a Detroit Pistons game last friday and came out and there was a brand new big sister parked next to me. The commradory with these cars is awesome! This is the second or third time i've had a jag park next to me in less than two months of owning! The only time I've had this happen is the whole biker feeling. The only problem is that not all bikers are cool to other riders like every person driving a jag is cool to each other. Driving this car is an experience, which is awesome, especially the way other people look at them. Also every person no matter the age gap can appreciate these cars. Old...Young...5 years old they all seem to like it. This week I had this kid about 3-5 years old say "Daddy I really like that blue car" coming out of Blockbuster. It just makes you feel good. I mean I'm only 21 so I havn't had the luxury to drive every car out there or own whatever I want but I got this car in good condition with excellent options for a steal as far as I'm concerned. I just wanted to say that I love this car!

Old 11-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Hi.. I'm new here. The downside... , I've begun to realize gas mileage stinks. On top of putting gas in more often, the gas is premium. Ouch. This is getting expensive...
We dont buy our Jags for good gas mileage.
You think its expensive...try living here in UK where 6 months ago we were paying the equivalent of $1.91 per litre (Repeat..per litre..not per Gallon!) but we are a lot happier now its down to around $1.68 per litre.
You dont know how good you guys have it!!

Old 11-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

ORIGINAL: BuckMR2
we were paying the equivalent of $1.91 per litre (Repeat..per litre..not per Gallon!) but we are a lot happier now its down to around $1.68 per litre.
You dont know how good you guys have it!!
PS
Thats U.S. $

Old 11-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Amen brother, not to mention that the chicks just LOVE this car and they think you're loaded with cash....well at least the young ones anyway.....I actually got hit on by 3 girls...in their early 20's....WOW..that hasn't happened since highschool almost 20 years ago!!

Wifes wonderig why i always have this big shitty grin on my face when i tell her we will be driving the jag on trips/stores/etc...instead of the more roomier CTS... lol

LOVE THIS CAR!

hate the lack of performance parts
Hate the possibility of the x-type going away in 08
Hate the fact of dismal trade in value

:-)

________
Suzuki gs550m

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Considering new X-Type. Thoughts?