X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating X-type purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating X-type purchase

Been looking for a daily driver as an alternative to putting so many mile on my truck and found a 2006 X-type wagon with 122,000 miles. Appears to be in good condition with a decent maintenance history.

How well does the X-type age? Am I buying a problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Old 12-18-2016, 06:58 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm new to Jaguar, having bought an X-Type with 104k miles six months ago. I think it's like any other car - if it's been maintained you can expect good service out of it, even though it's got some miles on it. You'll see a lot of posts here on lean OBD codes, most causes of which have been identified and are fairly easy to repair. Lots of reports on transfer case problems, which to me look like to be caused by ignoring the fluid (Jaguar says "lifetime fill" which is bunk in my book). Likewise with transmission and differential, as again Jaguar says there's no need to change the fluids. Hogwash. Look closely at PO's maintenance records and get a PPI by shop that knows Jags. We like our X-Type; it's stylish, comfortable, peppy and easy to handle. Good luck with your hunt.

The following users liked this post:
idahoskiguy (12-18-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Have had our x-type a couple months. New to Jags but have a lot of experience with cars in general. Have owned many.

Pre-purchase:
DRIVE it.... listen... it's not a real quiet cabin like new cars. The engine sound is kinda wonderful though. Listen for .... "whine"... is the best I can describe it. Mine had a very noticeable whine from about 25mph to around 50mph. Drive shaft carrier bearing. 18 gauge grease needle and a couple pumps and.... gone. Has a little transfer case noise...was worse, but I changed transfer case fluid and now almost entirely quiet. It had HALF the amount of fluid in it as it should have. Changed transmission fluid. Wasn't terrible but obviously was done. Not burnt...just aged beyond being good for the box. Fluid changes seem the most neglected and yet the most beneficial thing on these... as well as a lot of other cars.
Put a code reader on it and see if it's throwing codes.

Assuming the pre-purchase doesn't show any glaring issues...
These cars appear to be built for miles. They LOVE highway cruising. Get one that was decently cared for and I see no reason you can't wind it up well over the 200k mile mark.
Not cheap to HAVE fixed at a jag dealer (experience talking), but a lot of stuff you can do yourself (even if you're 64... like me) without pain.

So.... you're looking at a vehicle with 122k miles on it. Everything is going to depend on how it was taken care of previously. If well cared for... and the price is right... it's a machine. We love ours a lot. Enough engine to jump out into 55mph traffic (we live out in the country) and really like a luxury sedan that has very sporty handling.

The following users liked this post:
idahoskiguy (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 09:06 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

i have had my 2003 Xtype Sport for a year and a half now. i love it. it was a great, inexpensive Jag to start with...and now i am getting an XKR. i have a really honest mechanic who does my normal wear and tear stuff for a fair price. so i think that is key with any jag...the dealer is going to be pretty outrageous. I suggest taking someone with car knowledge before you buy just to be sure. good luck with your car

Old 12-20-2016, 12:39 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Don't think twice, it's alright.

(if you can twist a wrench, everything that might be needed in the future can be asked, answered and addressed on this very forum)

Buy it.

It is not just a 'car'. It IS a "World Class" automobile.

you deserve this vehicle, yes?

don't think twice, it's alright.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Another good thing is that it is a wagon. Those are EXTREMELY rare. Probably won't see another one for probably over a year or more in Idaho.; actually anywhere. Buy it.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

just change all fluids as soon as you get it

Old 12-23-2016, 11:13 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If you are DIY type for your car, then buy it, new about X-Type? Read this forum a page a day you'll learn a lots.