X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 02:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant leak

I know this has been addressed here before due to the common problem these cars have for coolant leaks ... I'm fighting an issue now and want to see if you guys can give me insight or point to a fix ... out of nowhere a coolant leak has appeared... checked the degas overflow bottle no cracks it's leaking from the drivers side and leaks when no pressure seems to stop leaking when running ... anyway it looked like the upper rad hose I squeezed at and coolant poured out squirted from where it connected to the radiator... so this hose included the thermostat and all ... changed it then the lower hose seemed to leak again at the attachment ... changed that .... filled with coolant and water .... cap off reservoir .... I let it sit for about 25 mins not running .... cold ..... I look and leaking from driverside .... I checked the hose it's dry at the top ... looks to be leaking about an inch down from hose outlet on top maybe from the side ... a couple years ago had the coolant bottle and radiator changed out ... any ideas where to look ??? I'm thinking radiator... someone did very lightly back into my stepson while he was driving which broke the headlight washer and condenser bracket ... but we have driven it several times since that with no problems... maybe it got cracked and it got worse??? Open to any ideas or thoughts ... tired of throwing parts at it

Old 09-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the way it's a 02 xtype 3.0

Old 09-03-2017, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

I had a leak at the radiator. The hose from the back of the reservoir run along the top of the left fender and connects next to the fitting for the upper radiator hose. I had to pressurize the system and wiggle the hose to find it. It seemed something sharp was rubbing against it and wore through.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacksunshine1972
I know this has been addressed here before due to the common problem these cars have for coolant leaks ... I'm fighting an issue now and want to see if you guys can give me insight or point to a fix ... out of nowhere a coolant leak has appeared... checked the degas overflow bottle no cracks it's leaking from the drivers side and leaks when no pressure seems to stop leaking when running ... anyway it looked like the upper rad hose I squeezed at and coolant poured out squirted from where it connected to the radiator... so this hose included the thermostat and all ... changed it then the lower hose seemed to leak again at the attachment ... changed that .... filled with coolant and water .... cap off reservoir .... I let it sit for about 25 mins not running .... cold ..... I look and leaking from driverside .... I checked the hose it's dry at the top ... looks to be leaking about an inch down from hose outlet on top maybe from the side ... a couple years ago had the coolant bottle and radiator changed out ... any ideas where to look ??? I'm thinking radiator... someone did very lightly back into my stepson while he was driving which broke the headlight washer and condenser bracket ... but we have driven it several times since that with no problems... maybe it got cracked and it got worse??? Open to any ideas or thoughts ... tired of throwing parts at it
To pinpoint all the leaks you might have I would recommend going to a
radiator shop to find all the leaks under a pressure test.
Then tell the shop you will order the hoses etc.

At least you know where the leaks are, whether you fix it yourself or not.

Walter