X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Coolant leak

I seem to be leaking coolant from somewhere on or around the plastic tank. Kind of hard to tell from where, but I think it's coming from right here:

At least I think that's where it's coming from. That spot is always wet. Is that a common fault, and if so is there a known fix? Or do I need to replace the whole tank. If so, where is a good source for those?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak-img_0187%252520-%252520copy.jpg  
Old 05-11-2013, 05:57 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Probably not from there unless the tank is cracked..Look over by the small pipe entering the tank on the left side, by the Brake Master Cylinder..that is where it usually starts to leak, then runs around to that point you have circled.

BTW..your coolant level is way too low...Raise to the bottom of the black top...Of course you'll need a new tank.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by DPK
Probably not from there unless the tank is cracked..Look over by the small pipe entering the tank on the left side, by the Brake Master Cylinder..that is where it usually starts to leak, then runs around to that point you have circled.

BTW..your coolant level is way too low...Raise to the bottom of the black top...Of course you'll need a new tank.
That hose connection that you mentioned, near the mc, makes a lot of gurgling and hissing noises after you shut the car off, but maybe that's normal?

So if I pull that hose off, exactly what am I looking for? Will the nipple likely be cracked?

What type of coolant should I be filling it with, and where can I get a replacement tank?

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

That nipple broke off easily when I tried to pull the hose off of it. I suspect it was cracked or at least extremely weak and was going to crack.
I bought a new tank off eBay and it was not too bad. I want to say about $80 or $90 and while I know that does not sound cheap, the price the dealer quoted me for one bordered on just plain stupid.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:58 PM

There is one on eBay for like $55. I can't copy and paste the link on my phone though.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:58 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by oldpunk
That hose connection that you mentioned, near the mc, makes a lot of gurgling and hissing noises after you shut the car off, but maybe that's normal? Yes it will percolate a little after the car shuts off..If the tank is leaking, either at the cap or the seam around the body of the tank..the gurgling will appear more obvious, because pressure is being released somewhere on the tank...

So if I pull that hose off, exactly what am I looking for? Will the nipple likely be cracked? YES..it will show signs of fracturing and will leak, make sure the hose fitting is tight too...if that seems solid, then the tank is leaking around the part that meets the black top portion...

What type of coolant should I be filling it with, and where can I get a replacement tank?..The tank is around $110.00 from the dealer..some places on the Internet sell them cheaper,(http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-X-Typ...ht_1042wt_1051) make sure you get a NEW cap too....You should use the Jaguar brand Coolant, again from the dealer..Mix it 50/50 with Distilled water

Thanks!
You're welcome, No Problem..I've been through these exact same issues with my 03 X when I had it..

Last edited by DPK; 05-11-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem...its a crack on the bottom of the tank...some sealent fixes it

Old 05-11-2013, 07:17 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Aaronhannemann
I had the same problem...its a crack on the bottom of the tank...some sealent fixes it
It may have in your case..But I find it hard to believe, because the system builds about 15 psi and will blow out any patch you can put on the tank..Just saying, it will not hold pressure for long..and you need the system to HOLD PRESSURE to maintain a higher than normal boiling point (Temp) for the coolant.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:03 PM

Here's the one I was looking at on ebay. Don't think I'll find any cheaper than that. Is this one just as good as one from the dealer?

Jaguar x Type Coolant Reservoir Expansion Tank Free Shipping | eBay

Last edited by oldpunk; 05-11-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:26 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

I provided that very same link in my reply to you two posts ago...

Yes..that will work..

Old 05-11-2013, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by DPK
I provided that very same link in my reply to you two posts ago...

Yes..that will work..
Oh duh, sorry. Thanks, I'll buy that one.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:27 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by oldpunk
Oh duh, sorry. Thanks, I'll buy that one.
No problem bud...I think that is a super price..and it should come with the Cap as well..But I would double check..

Good luck.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

If my dealer had offered me a tank for $110 I'd have bought it. They wanted something like $325, and they didn't even have it in stock. Do double check and get one with a cap. I think I remember seeing some on eBay that were just the tank w/o a cap.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Question About The Cap, Please

If the new tank does not come with a cap, can you use the one from the cracked tank? Thank you. (Since I have an X-Type and might have this situation in the future.)

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak-gedc1364.jpg   Coolant leak-gedc1365.jpg   Coolant leak-gedc1362.jpg  
Old 05-13-2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by DPK
You should use the Jaguar brand Coolant, again from the dealer..Mix it 50/50 with Distilled water
The nearest dealer is like 30 miles away, and I seem to be losing more and more coolant every day. I don't think it can wait until the weekend which is pretty much the soonest I'd be able to make it up there. Can I just get the pink stuff from Autozone?

Here is the tank I bought - 02 08 Jaguar x Type Coolant Expansion Header Tank with Cap C2S 46861 B812 | eBay The other one didn't specify whether it came with a cap, and this one did. Still pretty damn cheap!

Old 05-13-2013, 06:30 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

I might be wrong, But I think I remember it being said that Prestone Dex-Cool will work instead..It must meet Ford Specification WSS-M97B44-D, listed on the coolant label. Most "Dex-cool" coolants will meet this, and if it is orange or pink in color, it has OAT specs (Organic Acid Technology). You can get the 50/50 premixed or diluted and just top it off until you can get to the dealer and get the Jaguar Brand..

BUT!..Once you get the Jaguar Brand, you don't want to mix or run with the two mixtures too long..Do a complete drain and flush then replace with ONLY the Jaguar Brand, Or just the Prestone Dex-Cool brand..but don't run with a mixture of each type too long..It's a chemistry thing.

Last edited by DPK; 05-13-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:37 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WayneCountyBill
If the new tank does not come with a cap, can you use the one from the cracked tank? Thank you. (Since I have an X-Type and might have this situation in the future.)
As long as you think the old cap is sound and not leaking or popping off at a lower pressure...They do get weak with age..just saying.

We'll see if Oldpunk gets a cap with his..then we'll know what to expect..I'm pretty sure he'll get a new cap though with his new Tank.

The following users liked this post:
WayneCountyBill (05-14-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Yes the Dex-Cool will work. I have it in mine. It has spec WSS-M97B44-D listed on the label.

The following users liked this post:
DPK (05-13-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 04:16 PM

You guys were right again. The nipple off the side was broken. That's what was causing my leak everywhere. Replacing the tank was pretty simple, a bit messy though. The ebay replacement was absolute garbage. I needed to do so much trimming to all three hose outlets. The machining was just horrid on this. I'll be suprised if the hoses don't leak out of the outlets. The way they were shaped there's just no way the hose is going to seal well. Plus I had to trim out the holes themselves, there was so much plastic debris. Just a total peice of crap. Plus one of the tabs that holds the wires was broke off. I would have complained and asked for a refund or exchange, but I needed this thing like yesterday, so hopefully with all of the trimming I did, it will work out.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak-img_0200.jpg   Coolant leak-img_0202.jpg  
Old 05-18-2013, 07:14 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Glad you found the problem..Sorry you got an Aftermarket POS..I would call their toll free number (1-866-841-7776) and tell them the BS you had to do to get it to work..then mention that you will air your grievances on an INTERNATIONAL JAGUAR FORUM for the world to see...Perhaps they will make things right..who knows..

good luck

Quick Reply: Coolant leak