Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coolant leaking

Hi all!

I was showing my car today, and the buyer noticed a coolant leak right under the driver door. Luckily the couple was very understanding since it was not there earlier, and I took it to my jaguar dealership. I was told either the coolant hose needs to be replaced or the nipple connecting to the expanison tank is broken, and the whole assembly (i think he said expansion tank) would need to be replaced. How much does this typically cost to be fixed?

Old 09-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Newbie, you can fix the expansion tank yourself. Unfortunately a new tank through the dealership is going to set you back about $200. With that being said, you can probably pick up one from the local junkyard if they have an X-Type on the lot (same bottle for both the 2.5L and 3.0L motors). Replacing it you can do yourself. It is really easy. Basic hand tools and a gallon of pre-mix coolant and you are done. if you need me to get into more detail, let me know. Granted, not to ask a silly question, but did you look at the puddle on the ground and make sure that it is coolant. If you had the car running and the A/C going, the puddle may be nothing more than condensation coming from the A/C system. That is normal.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 PM

Hi Chris,
I smelled coolant burning, and the jaguar employee showed me where the hose was leaking. His initial thought was that it is the hose, but he told me if the nipple is broken, I would need to replace the expansion tank. I was showing it to a couple when the leak occured. They are still purchasing the car, but I obviously told them I would have it fixed. It will be fixed at the dealer so they can do a check over on the car, and let the new owners know everything is ok. The car has been sitting for 1.5 weeks since i bought the new saab, so I think with the extreme heat etc, it just broke. Just to make sure if the nipple is broken it is the expansion tank that would need to be replaced, right? When the employee pushed on the hose, I could see the coolant leaking out where it normally connects to the tank.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Jaguarnewbie2011
Hi Chris,
I smelled coolant burning, and the jaguar employee showed me where the hose was leaking. His initial thought was that it is the hose, but he told me if the nipple is broken, I would need to replace the expansion tank. I was showing it to a couple when the leak occured. They are still purchasing the car, but I obviously told them I would have it fixed. It will be fixed at the dealer so they can do a check over on the car, and let the new owners know everything is ok. The car has been sitting for 1.5 weeks since i bought the new saab, so I think with the extreme heat etc, it just broke. Just to make sure if the nipple is broken it is the expansion tank that would need to be replaced, right? When the employee pushed on the hose, I could see the coolant leaking out where it normally connects to the tank.
My tank developed a hair line crack at the nipple on the passenger side of the tank earlier this year. Here's what I did, I removed the coolant from the tank, disconnected all the hoses (3) and removed the tank. I placed it on my workbench and filed a little groove where the crack was and formed some JB weld around the nipple and on to the tank. I let it set up for a couple of days to give it plenty of time to cure. I haven't had any problem with it since. Save a big bundle over replacing the tank.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Thank you VERY much for the suggestion. The car is currently waiting at the dealer for work to start tuesday. Since that couple is actually buying the car, I am going to go ahead and move forward with the dealership's reccomendations (which I assume will be replacement). I would probably try and fix it if it were me, but honestly now that the car is going to a new owner, I want them to feel really good about it's condition etc, and have whatever part is broken to be replaced. I really want this couple to get a great deal, and feel good about the car. It's been very well maintained so i hope it hold up well for them. I bought a newer very low mileage saab, as i just don't have the time to deal with these repairs anymore. It was over 101 degrees here in ohio here it broke, so I almost decided to have the car towed, but I did drive it to the dealer and watched the temp gague VERY closely. There was still plenty of coolant in the tank, but it was leaking rapidly. I was lucky it happened when it did and didn't cause any engine damage.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Green Machine
My tank developed a hair line crack at the nipple on the passenger side of the tank earlier this year. Here's what I did, I removed the coolant from the tank, disconnected all the hoses (3) and removed the tank. I placed it on my workbench and filed a little groove where the crack was and formed some JB weld around the nipple and on to the tank. I let it set up for a couple of days to give it plenty of time to cure. I haven't had any problem with it since. Save a big bundle over replacing the tank.
I used this exact same fix, though just left it mounted in-car, only removed the hose to the offending "nipple", and only let it set for 12 hours. Fix worked perfectly!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ekatspm
I used this exact same fix, though just left it mounted in-car, only removed the hose to the offending "nipple", and only let it set for 12 hours. Fix worked perfectly!
I did mine out of the car on the bench so I could do a uniform build completely around the nipple. Now the base of it next to the tank is thicker than that next to the hose and it makes the whole thing much stronger than originally made. I sanded the whole area before applying the JB Weld to assure a good bonding. I think the repair will last much longer that the tank itself. When looking at the tank back in the car with all hoses hooked up you have to look very close to see the repair.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguarnewbie2011
Thank you VERY much for the suggestion. The car is currently waiting at the dealer for work to start tuesday. Since that couple is actually buying the car, I am going to go ahead and move forward with the dealership's reccomendations (which I assume will be replacement). I would probably try and fix it if it were me, but honestly now that the car is going to a new owner, I want them to feel really good about it's condition etc, and have whatever part is broken to be replaced. I really want this couple to get a great deal, and feel good about the car. It's been very well maintained so i hope it hold up well for them. I bought a newer very low mileage saab, as i just don't have the time to deal with these repairs anymore. It was over 101 degrees here in ohio here it broke, so I almost decided to have the car towed, but I did drive it to the dealer and watched the temp gague VERY closely. There was still plenty of coolant in the tank, but it was leaking rapidly. I was lucky it happened when it did and didn't cause any engine damage.
The expansion tank is literally a 10 minute job to replace. a couple of hose clamps, a couple of 10mm bolts and swap it out. I just did mine, the new tank was under 200.00. In and done in 15 bminutes but that included washing my hands. I tried to do the JB Weld fix. Cleaned everything with alcohol, roughed it up, carved a groove fdor a better bond. Lasted 1 day until it heated up. But mine was almost broken off so......

Old 02-18-2012, 12:08 AM

Hello everyone been reading thread after thread been loving all the info i just got a 02 jaguar x type 3.0 would love if u can tell me anything i would need to know about this car as i have never had a jaguar and dont really know alot about cars

Old 04-18-2012, 10:42 PM

I agree with Dathurthsince...this website and these forums are great! I am always learning something new. I have a 02 S-type 4.0 and would like any advice, too.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Just signed up and wish I would have know about this 5 years ago. I have not done much work on a car since high school working on my 75 Impala. I am removing the expansion tank (at least I think it is - small tank in front by sterring wheel) due to a leak. I am having a hard time removing the wiring for the sensor. Do I just pull it off or is there some piece that needs to be adjusted before removing the wiring kit. After that what is the trick to removing the hose that leads to the tank from the bottom. I see a big clamp that holds it in place. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:31 AM

I removed the clamp now the only hold up is removing the wiring for the sensor.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:32 PM

2001 XK8 expansion tank and overwater bottle the same?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 PM

Trying to put up 5 posts so I can get some answers. 2001 XK8 not supercharged, 2 or 3 line overflow bottle.