X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could there be a vacuum problem instead of Blend door issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could there be a vacuum problem instead of Blend door issue?

We recently bought a 2003 X-Type 2.5L for our 16-year old son. Knowing that there might be AC/air flow issues, we did the Dad/son bonding time and attempted the Krazy Glue-on the shaft-repair issue idea with limited success. Holy cow, let me tell you, even though I have small hands, it was a byatch to remove that one unit! Even though we had limited to no success, I wanted to wait and see what the real issue might be. I figured since summer is gone, air (AC) not blowing through the main vent wouldn't be an issue until at least another 5-6 months. Driving it yesterday in all the rain we have had here in NC, presented the best possibility - major fogging. We tried mixing hot and cold with no luck. I talked with a buddy of mine who had a shop in SC, and his opinion was not the blend door, but a vacuum leak in the supply line. Could the fogging and lack of air force through the main vent be connected (he could not answer)?

Old 11-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Take your cabin filter out and look in. Make sure your blend door opens. If not take a long screwdriver and try and open it by pulling out. That should stop the fogging up problem. Next spring shut the door so you will have max cooling.

The following users liked this post:
theshortwhiteguy (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

theshortwhiteguy, not to ask a silly question, but did you reset the computer for the A/C system and reprogram the blend door? You didn't mention it. All you need to do is to turn on the car and turn on the A/C. From there, dial the temp all the way to as cold as it will go. Let it set there for a few seconds. Now dial the temp to as hot as it will go. Wait a few seconds. Go back to as cold as it will go. This should allow the computer to learn where the new start/stop points are for the system.

As for there being a vacuum issue causing the A/C not to work, this is not your problem. the A/C system is all electrical. There are no vacuum operated devices in the system like other cars have.

You may want to also do some looking at the recirc door. You can see the door when you are inspecting the A/C filter under the hood cowl. If you see something blocking the air path when you pull out the filter, then your recirc door is stuck and that is causing your problems. You can give it a little push and it should pop back open. If you do some looking at older posts, you can see what others have done to ensure the recirc door doesn't stick again on you.

The following users liked this post:
theshortwhiteguy (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
theshortwhiteguy, not to ask a silly question, but did you reset the computer for the A/C system and reprogram the blend door? You didn't mention it. All you need to do is to turn on the car and turn on the A/C. From there, dial the temp all the way to as cold as it will go. Let it set there for a few seconds. Now dial the temp to as hot as it will go. Wait a few seconds. Go back to as cold as it will go. This should allow the computer to learn where the new start/stop points are for the system.
Thermo -

We followed the XT-412-02 Air Blend bulletin fix line by line, including the reset procedure. I'm wondering if the Krazy Glue wasn't applied properly or didn't stick.

I will look into the recirculation door issue.