Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Courtesy Light Issue and Overhead Console Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 05:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Courtesy Light Issue and Overhead Console Question

Hi All,

This concerns a 2004 (built 2003) X-Type with 47,000 miles which I just acquired.

I'm having the courtesy light issue with them not going off in 30 seconds. I've tried spraying the door switches with lube without any luck. I then pulled the front overhead courtesy light unit out and pulled the wiring and that didn't help either. I did find the bulb missing from the center courtesy light so I assume someone pulled the bulb because it stayed on. Does anyone have another suggestion?

When I pulled the courtesy light console out, there were two extra wires with connectors in the well. One is a flat connector and the other is more square. This car does not have the garage door opener buttons. Could these wires be for that? I notice overhead consoles available on eBay which have the garage door buttons. Could I just purchase the console with these buttons and get remote garage door opening by just hooking up these wires?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:18 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default overhead

I have a overhead unit in sand color(tan). I part out cars and I am in pa. I am known as the Dr! Or some call me a surgeon. The parts you describe sounds like someone removed the buttons and left the wires. If it was factory, there would be a plug on the ends of all wires. Let me know if your interested in the part. Will give you a good price on it. Pm me and we can go from there.

Thanks and good luck,
The Dr!

Last edited by Dr dome; 09-19-2015 at 08:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jzanone (09-28-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 06:10 PM
Default Overhead Console

Hi Dr.

The car that I have is BRG with tan leather interior. Would this be the correct color for the piece that you have? Does yours have the garage door opener buttons? If it does, can you take a picture of the electrical connections that are on the piece AND take a picture of the connectors that are in the roof? I want to make sure that the color is correct and that I can use the garage door openers. I guess the car came with different levels of upgrades and this one is at the bottom. There is no bluetooth or phone available in it either.

Thanks,

John

Old 09-26-2015, 08:38 AM
Default Still looking for help with courtesy light issue

Hi,

I am still looking for help with the above courtesy light issue. The problem doesn't appear to be the door switches or the electrical connection in the overhead panel.

Someone mentioned that it might be the GEM, which I assume is the General Electrical Module. I can't find that part listed when I do a general internet or eBay search. Could this be the problem and does anyone have an actual part number for it?

My other thought is that there must be some sort of timer somewhere that decides the doors have been closed for 30 seconds and then turns the light off. Is there a timer or timer relay somewhere and if so, what is the part number? Again, I did a general search for a timer but nothing came up. I hate to go to a dealer to solve what is probably just a simple part swap.

Thank you all in advance for any help.

John

Old 09-26-2015, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Below is a link to Jagrepair.com Gus has the complete electrical for dowload for your vehicle. The interior light diagram is on page 117. The interior lights are powered from the GENERAL ELECTRONIC MODULE. Looking at the overhead lights it appears that the console has a printed circuit board which is probably where the time element is located.
Since you have power to the light it is unlikely that the GEM is bad. More likely the console board is bad.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 09-28-2015, 12:02 PM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

When I purchased my car the overhead light thingy was hanging down, and the lights wouldn't work. The garage door opener and sunroof switch worked ok. I bought a new used unit I found on ebay. It went right in securely and everything's worked since then. I don't think I paid much more than $40 for it.

The following users liked this post:
jzanone (09-28-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 05:50 PM
Default Resolved Courtesy Light Problem

Hi All,

This is just an update. The dealer went through the car and found that a wire in the roof liner was bad and going to ground. This kept the courtesy lights on as the GEM unit actually breaks the ground. Since the wire was grounding directly to the roof, the lights stayed on until the Battery Control Relay cut the positive off.