Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft position (P0335) and misfire codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crankshaft position (P0335) and misfire codes

Hi all,

This morning, when I tried to start my '04 X-Type, it made a loud grinding noise each time I turned the key. When I held the key in the start position, it started right up after about a second (no prolonged cranking, just the loud noise followed by about a second of silence, then starting right up normally). After I got it started, I noticed that the engine light was on and would flash at irregular intervals (seemingly only while coasting, but I can't be certain that there was any true correlation there). I also noticed that the engine seemed to be bucking at a higher RPM than normal—I had to downshift to second gear because of heavy bucking while coasting down a 25-MPH hill that I normally take in third.

After about 5 miles of driving, I returned home and checked the codes. There were one stored code (P0335) and three pending codes (P0300, P0302, and P0303). I know that the P0335 code by itself can indicate a problem with the CKP sensor or with the battery/ground connection. Does anyone have any experience with the CKP sensor code in combination with misfire codes?

Here are some other facts that may or may not be relevant:
  • The car had been sitting untouched for over 5 days; this is not unusual, and I haven't had any issues with in such situations previously.
  • It was quite cold out this morning (19°F); again, this is not unusual, and I have had no issues on equally cold and even colder mornings over the past couple of months.
  • I had the negative battery cable replaced a few months ago due to recurring corrosion problems; there has been no new corrosion since the cable was replaced.
  • The battery itself is about 2 years old and has not had any issues (no cold-start problems, etc.).
Thanks,
CarLuva

Old 02-15-2014, 08:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, for anyone who happens to find this post later, it turned out to be a faulty crankshaft position (CKP) sensor. The car also needed a new set of plugs and a couple of new ignition coils, but I don't think those had anything to do with the codes.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Me too !

Originally Posted by CarLuva
Well, for anyone who happens to find this post later, it turned out to be a faulty crankshaft position (CKP) sensor. The car also needed a new set of plugs and a couple of new ignition coils, but I don't think those had anything to do with the codes.
Well, I've got similar symptoms to yours CarLuva and have come to pretty much the same conclusion - so I've ordered a replacement CKP sensor.
I think the misfire codes are simply indicating misfires resulting from the faulty sensor.
Can I ask you how you got at it to replace the faulty sensor please ?
Thanks.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The CPK is located on the front of the engine facing the passenger side of US LHD vehicles. It is mounted in the side of the timing chain cover just behind the lowest pulley. The crankshaft pulley. It is mounted on the side of the cover closest to the firewall. It is held on by one bolt and can be accessed from beneath the car or by removing the passenger tire and inner plastic wheel arch cover. It is a matter of unplugging the connector removing the bolt and extracting the sensor. Reinstalling is the reverse. The sensor is orientated by the bolt.

The following users liked this post:
keplaa (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 06:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by avern1
The CPK is located on the front of the engine facing the passenger side of US LHD vehicles. It is mounted in the side of the timing chain cover just behind the lowest pulley. The crankshaft pulley. It is mounted on the side of the cover closest to the firewall. It is held on by one bolt and can be accessed from beneath the car or by removing the passenger tire and inner plastic wheel arch cover. It is a matter of unplugging the connector removing the bolt and extracting the sensor. Reinstalling is the reverse. The sensor is orientated by the bolt.
Thanks Avern1, that is exactly what I needed.
As it is a UK RHD vehicle then it is, of course, on the drivers side.
Sounds like it won't take too long to do, once the new crank sensor arrives.