Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise not available - P0171 and P0174 - Fuel too lean

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise not available - P0171 and P0174 - Fuel too lean

Hi Guys,

This is my first on the forum and i desperately need some help to put a stop to my Jaguar's (2002 Jaguar X-type, 2099CC Petrol) misery.

The Engine check light is always ON and the "cruise not available" indicator comes back on intermittently. However the most clear symptom of the problem is an extreme jerk (for the lack of a better word) when accelerating on the 2nd or 4th gears.

The "jerk" is basically a sudden loss of power and then back to normal acceleration.

So far:
- I have got the car diagonosed from a local garage and the error codes shown to be are: P0171 and P0174 - Fuel too lean. (£35). This local garage is unable to tell me further and hence cannot fix the problem.
- I have bought the IMT-O rings from jaguar (after finding out the most probable causes on the internet). £5.
- Been to Jaguar service - who have said that will diagnose from scratch (£55) and accordingly fix the problem (£125/hour). At this point i have decided against it.
- Found out another local mechanic who would diagnose the problem again for £35 (he rejects the other garage's diagnosis and does not budge) and has assured to give me an exact root cause of the problem. Depending on the severity he would then quote a price.

Having already spent time and money on this problem, i am now in a dilemma of what to do next. Can any of you please help and advice the best way forward for me? i really cannot spend a lot of money on this car at this point and would appreciate any suggestions from you guys (considering my lack of technical knowhow)!

Many many thanks!
S
-

Old 08-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

jagslice, first off, welcome to the forums. Grab a cup of joe, sit back and enjoy the site. I think you will find a lot of useful information around here and the people are going to be way above par for what other sites are like. But, we do ask a very simple thing, stop by the "New Member" section and introduce yourself (see, we are a little different). You will learn who the movers and shakers are around here.

As for your motor problem, you are experiencing something that is very familiar with us. First off, open the bonnet/hood of your car and remove the plastic cover that is on the engine. Now, you should see a large rubber hose running back from the intake to the front valve cover. Check the underside of that hose for a split in the rubber. More than likely, you will find that it is split and you need a new rubber hose. Secondly, get your hands on a can of "MAF Sensor Cleaner" (not carb cleaner, but the MAF Cleaner). If you look between your air box and throttle body, you should see a set of wires running to the intake. This is your Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor. Remove it (should be held in place by 2 torx screws), then use the can of MAF Cleaner and spray down inside the center of the sensor. Just don't spray straight down, let the fluid bounce off of the walls. Let dry and then reinstall. The final thing to check is really close to where you found the MAF Sensor, there will be a ribbed part of the intake. This is designed to flex. Look that piece over really closely and see if you spot any rips in it. If you do, replace the part. As a temporary fix, you can possibly use some electrical tape of duct tape and seal up the hole until you can get a new piece.

In short, the errors you are getting are indicating that you are either 1) not measuring the correct amount of air coming into the engine, or 2) there is an air leak and air is making it into the system downstream of the MAF Sensor.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
amchestnutesq (03-24-2023), jagslice (08-25-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

jagslice, I got the same codes and the same erratic behavior you are talking about because my brake booster check valve (Booster Check Valve JAGUAR VANDEN PLAS XJ12 XJ6 | eBay) was cracked and there was air coming out of it. I coated the whole thing in epoxy and was good to go, but while I was in there, I replaced the IMT o-rings (have one for sale for $5 shipped PM me) and upgraded to the new PCV hose

The following users liked this post:
jagslice (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thermo thanks a million mate!

You were spot on! it was the breather pipe after all, got it changed, and the world is beautiful again!!
and thanks to you as well disguay! you guys are brilliant!