X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Custom exhaust question

Took my car by a muffer shop to get an idea of what can be done to the exhaust on my x-type. They recommended keeping the center resonator and either deleting the back mufflers and running straight pipes, or replacing them with little 1 chamber flowmasters, due to the limited room to work with. I am wondering what you think about deleting the rear mufflers? That seems like the cheaper alternative and it would weigh less. I heard a video on youtube of an x-type that did this and it sounded good. Just not sure about chopping off a perfectly good set of factory mufflers, although I heard they were heavy as lead. How do you think the little flowmasters would sound? By the way, what is the factory exhaust piping diameter? 2"? I looked up a replacement muffler and the inlet size said 2". I would have guessed 2.25".

Took my car by a muffer shop to get an idea of what can be done to the exhaust on my x-type.

They recommended keeping the center resonator and either deleting the back mufflers and running straight pipes, or replacing them with little 1 chamber flowmasters, due to the limited room to work with.

I am wondering what you think about deleting the rear mufflers? That seems like the cheaper alternative and it would weigh less. I heard a video on youtube of an x-type that did this and it sounded good. Just not sure about chopping off a perfectly good set of factory mufflers, although I heard they were heavy as lead.

How do you think the little flowmasters would sound? By the way, what is the factory exhaust piping diameter? 2"?

I looked up a replacement muffler and the inlet size said 2".

I would have guessed 2.25".

PLEASE CREATE LINE BREAKS - It makes the text easier for all to read rather than block text

Last edited by 04xtype04; 11-05-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I'm sure the X typers will be along to give their views shortly Zach

Good luck

Old 11-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

With just the mufflers deleted the exhaust will definitely be louder. For a cheap way to make the car sound louder it is a pretty good option.

I recommend leaving the resonator in though because the resonator will hide all the treble and shrill sounds (this is especially important if you are going to keep the 2" piping because without the resonator on the small piping it might sound too thin and screechy).

If you install the small flowmasters the sound will be a lot more subdued and just give more bass and growl compared to stock. Here is where you could chop the resonator if you wanted to get more volume.

What kind of sound are you going for?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Be careful freeing up the exhaust too much. People have run into issues with o2 sensor codes popping up following an exhaust upgrade.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Be careful freeing up the exhaust too much. People have run into issues with o2 sensor codes popping up following an exhaust upgrade.
Exactly. These cars especially despise running cat-less. Definitely leave them in at all costs.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

There are ways around 02 codes and if you want to hear what it would sound like without the rears unbolt them and take em off

Old 11-06-2013, 08:59 PM

Yea, I was worrying that removing the mufflers might mess up the back pressure of the exhaust and make the car less efficient. It seems like the flowmasters (or some type of muffler in the back) would keep some of the backpressure. I am thinking about keeping the mid resonator and just running pipes out the back... kind of for a formula 1 type of sound. On the other hand, I like the quiet too so I'm torn between the two decisions and also not having a lot of money for an exhaust at the moment.

PS Thanks, so it is 2" piping? So a 2.25" or 2.5" muffler would be an alright fit then if they adapted it?

Old 11-06-2013, 10:36 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by aCapiz
Exactly. These cars especially despise running cat-less. Definitely leave them in at all costs.
Who has run catless? I ask because I've been interested in what the car would do if it say, had headers and no cats. throw codes? cel? limp mode? I haven't found anything yet were someone had a catless set up.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:41 PM

I am definitely not running cat-less. Get it? Jag, cat? Well anyways, I live in California, home of the most stringent emissions regulations. Can't even install the wrong air filter without breaking some law or whatever.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Veteran member

Justin, thinking about how the car runs and the checks the computer does, I think it would toss the car into limp mode as it would see too high of emissions on the outlet O2 sensor and therefore try to minimize them. I am sure if you installed some fancy circuit to simulate the downstream O2 sensor, it would play nicer, but that is its own bag of problems.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I wish there was tuning software for this car. I had some for my 06 mustang and it was so nice to have.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:04 PM

What do you think would sound better on the x-type... straight through canister mufflers or baffled chamber mufflers like the little Flowmasters? I'm thinking the cannister mufflers would probably sound good since it's a v6 but I don't know. Maybe the chamber muffler would give it a muscle car sound. Also should I remove the center resonator or keep it? The shop recommended keeping it but they've never worked on this style of car before.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Veteran member

Zach, when asking which muffler sounds better is like asking what your favorite color is. We all have different ideas of what a "good sounding exhaust" is. The best advice that I can tell you is to go to some gatherings and listen to various cars and see what they are running. If you can find some exhausts from a V6 powered car that you like, that will give you a fairly good starting point. From there you can tweak it a little bit to put the finishing touches on things. Also keep in mind that the last 2 feet or so of the exhaust is what is going to make the biggest change in how the car sounds. It acts like the bell to a musical instrument. Unfortunately, with our cars and where the mufflers are placed, the ability to "fine tune" the sound is very limited.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

LOL Thats about right on the money Chris

Old 11-11-2013, 06:37 PM

I am going more for like a formula one type of sound, but then I look at my pretty factory exhaust and think about how quiet and peaceful it is and I get scared to saw it off and make it loud.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Then again, putting the original mufflers back on shouldn't be too difficult. All you need is a clamp and an extension pipe of some sort, unless you fancy welding.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey guys, thought I would chime in with a JF link that has several videos of X-Type exhausts systems.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...upgrade-91791/

I have removed the large and heavy stock Jag mufflers for MagnaFlows, but I kept the resonator. I don't imagine removing it would create better flow. After all, it's called a resonator because it probably resonates with the exhaust frequency down stream to keep the puffs of exhaust moving out the back end.

The fact that it resonates with something, makes me not want to disrupt that relationship. However, resonator delete is rather popular on the JF. With my MagnaFlows, I have a cool heavy sound with plenty of bass. That said, I believe if you are going to free up the exhaust, you need to improve the air intake. Do what you will to the exhaust system but keep the intake in mind. My set-up is to pump more clean air thru my motor front to back.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:13 PM

What kind of Magnaflows did you put on? Oops nevermind, you mentioned it in the other thread. Looks good. I was having trouble figuring out what would fit under there. The magnaflows would be cool but that is a lot for my budget right now. I found a cool muffler on ebay but the body of the muffler is 12" and the tips are another 6" so I'm wondering if it would fit. I think the stock mufflers are about 12" long.

Last edited by 04xtype04; 11-11-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i absolutely love my exhaust. in my opinion, it's the best i've heard on any x-type.

i essentially swapped the stock two mufflers with MagnaFlows. Part 11226 if i remember correctly. then i removed the resonator and did 3 inch piping. and lastly, i installed a ram air intake with a big cone filter.

the mufflers honestly didn't make much of a difference. but then when i removed the resonator, it sounded almost completely perfect. its definitely growls a lot and it wouldn't have done that with the stock mufflers. and the intake made a noticeable difference too. it makes the car sound like it can breathe better. it's hard to describe but it really makes a difference especially after like 2700 RPM.

i definitely recommend my setup. and i've never gotten any codes or anything like that.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:42 AM

Do you have a single 3 inch back to where the stock 2 inch pipe splits or 3 inch all the way to the mufflers? And do you have any pics?

Quick Reply: Custom exhaust question