X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Axle

Old 05-15-2017, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Axle

Can anyone give me advice or suggestions on replacing the CV axle on a 2003 X-Type AWD? I THINK mine failed. Car has 153,000 on it. Car will not move when put in gear and I get a clicking sound when it's put in park.

Last edited by GGG; 05-15-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Emphasise Model & Year
Old 05-15-2017, 09:15 AM
GGG
Received 16,760 Likes on 12,149 Posts

Welcome to the forum THantzar,

I've moved your question from US Lower Atlantic Region to X-Type forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 05-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

In your post you state that you get no movement when you put the gear selector in reverse or drive. Correct?
It is doubtful that you have a bad CV joint. A broken or worn one would create a lot of noise but would not stop the car from moving forward or backward.
We are going to need some additional info to be of assistance.
1. Is there any warnings on the dash screen?
2. Have you had the OBD scanned for any codes?
3. Have you had any recent work or maintenance performed?
4. Did you have any unusual noises or performance issues before this occurrence.
5. Lastly has the vehicle been driven through heavy rains or sat out in heavy rains.
6. Have you load tested and fully charged the battery, are the battery connections clean and tight?
Many problems on the X-Type are the result of a weak battery. The engine and the transmission are all electronically controlled.
For a starting point you can check the wiring to the transmission and the cable from the shift lever to the transmission rotary switch for damage.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Vern, for your response.
1) I did eventually get a "Gearbox Fault" message.
2) The only thing a scan showed was the oxygen sensor.
3) No work done while I've owned it (3 weeks). The previous owner had the left CV joint replaced.
4) I did notice that the steering wheel shimmied and it got progressively worse, at low and high (55mph) speeds. The first time I heard a sound - a clicking sound - was when I made a left turn into the parking lot.

Now - since I started writing this my mechanic called. Said it was the right front axle....with after-market price and labor....$450. I trust this mechanic implicitly. Thoughts?

Old 05-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Ok the CV joint definitely sounds like a replacement is needed. But as i said it want stop the car from moving. You will need to have some one capable of reading the transmission codes. Most OBD Code readers only do the Engine Management System and not the various other modules. Once you get the codes post them and we can help further.
By the way cost for replacement sounds pretty reasonable.