X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash pad lifting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dash pad lifting?

I have a 2002 X-Type, and the dash pad right around the right front vent has started to lift up. I pulled out the vent and the pad seem extremely flexible. I have a very strong two part plastic, ABS and PVC epoxy bonder. I have the car outside in the sunlight to soften up the dash. Is this the best, or only way to repair a lifting dash? Any suggestions or experience is welcome.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing.

I was thinking of "relaxing" the plastic with my heat gun, but I fear both melting it all into a big ugly puddle, and/or cracking the windshield because of thermal shock.

Sure hope someone out there has the quick and easy, down and dirty solution!

Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 PM

I was able to glue the pad back down by just using the epoxy and direct sunlight to soften up the pad. Its holding quite well and the vent is back in place. The only issue I encountered was that the pad seems to have shrunk. Which is why I think it released from the dash in the first place. I noticed when I glued the pad back down, that it no longer sat back in its original position and a slight gap appeared when I reinstalled the vent due to some minor shrinkage of the pad. Honestly, not as big a deal as it sounds, because you really have to look close to notice. But the gap is in fact there. I have larger fish to fry to the tune of new seats, so I am calling the dash project a win. At least for now.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:11 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Mine did that and I fixed it by taking some small finish nails and a pair of pliers. I push the nails through the edge of the pad and through the underlying plastic support. Then, once the nail was in place and at the correct height, I used a small hook tool I had and bent the nail so it could not back out. It has held for more years than I can admit to with no issues.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

to the OP can you post pics of your work and how it looks now. Im having other problems with the dash and leather around my dash speaker thinking about trying some glue type fix and want to see your work even though it was done in a different area

Old 08-31-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by jahmezis45
to the OP can you post pics of your work and how it looks now. I'm having other problems with the dash and leather around my dash speaker thinking about trying some glue type fix and want to see your work even though it was done in a different area
I don't have a before pic, but it was about a ten inch wide section that had lifted, probably three inches high. It was like a big bulge or lump when looking at it from behind. Here's a pic now from the passenger seat:

Hers a shot through the windshield. Sorry for the reflection, as shooting through glass is tough. You can see the gap fairly clear where the pad pulled back from shrinkage. Probably father time got to her, LOL.

Attached Thumbnails Dash pad lifting?-waxedthejaguar012_zpsde953896.jpg   Dash pad lifting?-waxedthejaguar013_zps2d7befda.jpg