Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytime Running Lights on US Spec Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime Running Lights on US Spec Car

Hi Everyone,

Just found your site and have been going through it with a fine tooth comb! Wonderful information!

Let me start by apologizing. I know this has been discussed in great length already and I've looked, searched, and read all the threads I could find on the subject and I -think- I have a rather unique circumstance.

My car is a US Spec 2005 X-Type. It's an Arizona car that I brought back to California.

I believe this car has had some type of modification to make daytime running lights (DRL)?

The headlight switch has the AUTOMATIC headlight option.

In the OFF position (0), all the lights come on, as if I have turned the switch to the headlight position (2). Taillights, corner-markers, headlights, the dim "city lights" in the high beam housings, and dash lights.

In the PARKING LIGHT position (1), all the lights are on except the headlights.

In the HEADLIGHT position (2), all the lights are on. Tail, corner, dash, headlights, and city lights.

In the AUTO position (3), the car operates as it should. All lights are off until it senses darkness at the rearview mirror. This is the ONLY light switch position where I can turn the headlights off at all (obviously, it only turns off during the day).

I've pulled the switch and looked at the wiring loom, and there are no cuts to the loom or wire taps or splices. Nobody has cut and grounded the "green/black" wire (what I have read as the recommendation to cheaply create DRLs for those countries that require it).

My confusion is, I thought the 4-position switch that includes the AUTO function was not supposed to have DRL?

Does this mean, there is a wire rigging up DRL somewhere in the car? Or am I confused, and it's the AUTO light switch that has DRL and the 3-position switch without AUTO lights, that does not have DRL?

I want the headlights off in the (0) off position.

I've been to 2 mechanics, and both report that after looking, there is nothing in the car's computer that allows for modifications to the headlight system to either turn on or off DRLs. I sat next to the second mechanic and confirmed for myself that this does not appear to be a programming issue. Those that have said this is an easy computer "option" fix that the dealer does...are you sure with first hand experience? I know this is often the case on many cars (BMW, Audi, etc.), but in light of two different mechanics telling me it is not an option, I don't think it is so for the X-Type. Notably, the brochure for the car, when it was being produced, sold an optional headlight control switch that allowed for the running of DRLs:

http://tinyurl.com/3q6f48r

On page 18, item #2 of the 2005 brochure:

Daytime Running Lights: Enhance your X-TYPE's visibility with Daytime Running Lights. This added safety feature illuminates both your headlights and taillights during daytime hours. Ask your retailer for details.

C25 16944 Standard switch..........$96.05
C25 16942 Leveling switch............$96.05 (I assume this is on HID cars)

Therefore, I conclude that the DRL modification on X-Types is purely a mechanical solution rather than a programming solution and the green/black wire mod that Thermo advises, does externally, what is probably done internally in a DRL headlight switch (see Post #15, below):

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...14/drls-41820/

So, I guess my question is, if I have an AUTO headlight switch...is there a way to turn the DRLs OFF?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Stanae86, first off, welcome to the forums. As I am sure you have found, we are full of all sorts of information here. But, we do ask that you stop by the "New Member" section and tell us a little bit about yourself.

As for your problem, it appears that you have a problem with the headlight switch and what is happening is 2 contacts that control the side marker lights in the OFF and Parking Light positions are shorted together. This is feeding back through the headlight switch and turning on all the lights like you are seeing. But, when you move the headlight switch over to the PARK position, it breaks the loop going to the headlights. So, try putting a new headlight switch into your car and see what things look like then. Odds are, this will fix your problem. If it doesn't, then we have bigger issues here from what I can tell as you would be having multiple wires shorted together and in general chaos with the electrical system.

The DRL setup is completely different than what you are describing and you are correct in that you can't have Autolamps and DRLs in the same vehicle. The fault I mention is the only single failure thing that can cause what you are seeing.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:38 PM

Thanks Thermo....will do!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:39 PM

Hey Thermo,

Wanted to let you know you were right on. I figured since I was going to be getting a new switch, I "manhandled" the switch a little turning it hard on and off and eventually, the lights turned off in the off position. A little wiggling and they turned back on. A little more wiggling and they turned off. So there is a short in the switch like you suggested. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Veteran member

Stanae, not a problem. Sometimes it is the simpliest things that can make for the hardest problems to fix. Unfortunately, the fix for this is simply a new headlight switch. NOt the cheapest part, but a fairly easy one to replace.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:28 PM

Wait, I am curious as to how to disable the DRLs completely. I can't stand them but can't seem to find out how to turn them off completely I have an 02 x type 3.0

Old 10-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Veteran member

swoop, the only way that you are going to be able to do that is to go to your Jaguar dealership (or if you look on here, there are a few vendors that can help you too) and you will need to order a non-DRL headlight switch. Anything you do to a DRL headlight switch is going to result in complete loss of your low beams. that is just how things are wired up.

Any more questions, let me know.