X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Price Gouging or What

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Dealer Price Gouging or What

Ok something is wrong here. I've been ordering most of my parts from Gaudin Jaguar online for the past 5 years. I've even spoken to the parts guy on the phone there a couple of times to know for a fact that the MSRP prices listed on their site come directly from Jaguar, and then Gaudin discounts it by a nice %. So we're straight there.

Now, why the heck is it when I go to a local dealer to price something, it's always more, sometimes as much as 100% more.

Examples: The fog light is listed as $139 MSRP online, yet 2 dealers around me want $170. The center cap has an MSRP of $23 online, yet the dealer had the nerve to ask for $42. When I got a blade for my new key from Gaudin, the MSRP was listed as $44 (discounted to $33), but when I was quoted a price from the dealer, it was $79.

WTF, is this even legal? I feel sorry for the poor *******s that pay these prices when getting their car repaired there. Man, I don't dislike my local dealer, I don't hate my local dealer, I ABHOR them, their poor service, and horrible customer service.

Last edited by spielnicht; 12-22-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:41 AM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Of course it's legal. MSRP is just that - a suggested retail price. Doesn't mean they have to follow it. This is why it's important to shop around and look for better prices.

Parts markups and services is where the dealers really make the money. They don't really get much from sales.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Spiel, like AML says, MSRP is just a recommendation, not a "must follow". Hence why I tend not to buy from our local dealerships (I live about an hour south of you and the dealership you are talking about is the nearest one to me). I tend to buy all my stuff online (through Nalley Jaguar or through a dealership up in Cleveland Ohio). The prices are much better and I get them just about as fast. Some dealerships make their profit by pushing cars through the service area, others make their profit by selling things that are marked up. Besides, if you look at the DC area, there are a significant number of people that own luxury cars just to fit in. So, they will pay whatever it costs to look important, even if it means running themselves into the hole.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default dealer prices

Dealer prices are mad for most parts as we all know.
As of january i will be dismanteling only x types and ofering parts worldwide so hopefull can help some members out including some deals i have done for genuine parts.
It actuall came about from my frustration at dealer prices (£195 trade for washer jet covers! was the final straw)
alex.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by albackuk
Dealer prices are mad for most parts as we all know.
As of january i will be dismanteling only x types and ofering parts worldwide so hopefull can help some members out including some deals i have done for genuine parts.
It actuall came about from my frustration at dealer prices (£195 trade for washer jet covers! was the final straw)
alex.
GOOD MAN, i got rapped for those washer covers when they iced over and accidentally turned on, once at my front door, It was i think 226 or something like that...without paint.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a feeling I know what dealer your talking about. So why don't you get in your X-TYPE R(WHAT A JOKE) and go somewhere else. Also remember that this other dealer is giving you "discounts" so why would you go to dealer two. Did I mention YOU DON'T HAVE AN "R" you have a 3.0 Naturally Aspirated engine. Take the R badge off, it looks silly

Originally Posted by spielnicht
Ok something is wrong here. I've been ordering most of my parts from Gaudin Jaguar online for the past 5 years. I've even spoken to the parts guy on the phone there a couple of times to know for a fact that the MSRP prices listed on their site come directly from Jaguar, and then Gaudin discounts it by a nice %. So we're straight there.

Now, why the heck is it when I go to a local dealer to price something, it's always more, sometimes as much as 100% more.

Examples: The fog light is listed as $139 MSRP online, yet 2 dealers around me want $170. The center cap has an MSRP of $23 online, yet the dealer had the nerve to ask for $42. When I got a blade for my new key from Gaudin, the MSRP was listed as $44 (discounted to $33), but when I was quoted a price from the dealer, it was $79.

WTF, is this even legal? I feel sorry for the poor *******s that pay these prices when getting their car repaired there. Man, I don't dislike my local dealer, I don't hate my local dealer, I ABHOR them, their poor service, and horrible customer service.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Albakuk, do you have any washer jet covers that you are looking to sell? I really need one and don't want to pay the dealer markup

Old 12-27-2011, 05:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

disguay
i have sent you a private message