X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decision making is so hard...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: DECISION MAKING IS SO HARD...

why are you selling the xj6?

Old 02-06-2008, 11:35 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably because everyone keeps shooting at his engine...

sorry, couldn't resist

Old 02-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an XJR and snow tires. Problem solved.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

ok now to answer your question:

I love my x-type. I think it is a great car however, if I were you I would honestly buy an XK or something like that and put snow tires on it. Here is the thing you have to remember, the Jaguar X-Type was built with one idea in mind….. Well two ideas. First, to compete with the BMW 3, Audi a4, and Mercedes C-class. Second, it was made to attract a new type of consumer. The kind that don’t have 100k to drop on new car. To get them into the Jaguar brand and hopefully move them up the ranks of cars Jaguar has to offer. I honestly believe that Jaguar did not think someone would buy one new and keep it for 15 years. You see, the car is an entry level car but the maintenance is not entry level. It cost almost just as much as any other Jag to maintain. Things rattle and vibrate in some X-Types, they have a weak transfer case design, and these things that can become frustrating for a consumer may push them away from the Jaguar brand. You can get a great XK for 20k.that is a good deal and with the snow tires you will be fine. I live in Cleveland, it snows here… a lot and I have driven an XK with snow tires on it… it drove great. Now with all this stuff I said it may sound like I don’t like the X-Type but, I do. I own one and I love the car. I am just giving you a new perspective. If you still want an X-Type let me know. I have a guy that can find you a good deal on one that has been very well maintained, either way keep us updated. Whatever you do stay away from BMW and Benz.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Mercedes Benz C-Class or 3 Series BMW are far from more reliable. due some research and you will see.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey XjJagXJJeepDriver,

My favorite car was a 95 jeep wrangler rio grande. I still miss the thing sometimes. but my X-type is 77 times awesomer (i invented that word).
If you look through the posts i have typed, i have had some rough time with my xtype. The build quality is not as great as their flagship XJ or even XK. sheeeeet rattles, squeaks, MINE WHINES AND MOANS,
but darn it the thing is a beast in the snow and looks so dang sexy. i love watching people slip, slide, spin out while i track straight and true at any speed i want. just today i had to take of from a stop light, (long story), in a snow storm here in chicago, i punched it almost full pedal, i didnt even fish tail or stray a bit!!!!!!!!!!

yes the sound system sucks meatballs, and i have the alpine upgrade system. yes the auto aircon heat unit is insanely horrible, the thing always blow at full blast. 191 bhp not that impressive, andyes the MPG isnt great either.

but the grip, the looks, the wood, the leather, the sound at 4000 rpm, the leaper on the hood, and knowing you own a car that you dont see on the road like a ford taurus (mondeo or focus for you euro peeps).

if you go with one car you will pay less on insurance, taxes, and registrations.

i hope that helps a bit.
anymore questons jusk ask bro.

XjJagXjJeepDriver

Old 02-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey xjjag, your snow in buffalo is way different than the rest of us in ohio, illinois and michigan. Chances are you guys get feet at a time not inches correct? If this is the case and it takes a day or more to clear the x-type does have issues with snow. Once the short belly of the car rests on some snow no matter what tires you have on it the car simply cannot move. Don't get me wrong I love the car and its capability but keep in mind that the jeep you speak of could make it in 2ft+ deep snow...If you do get an x make sure you get one with dynamic stability control (standard on sport) and keep in mind it isn't a huge car. Being a college student you shouldn't have too much holding you back as far as needing more space so the x is a good choice. I as well want a xjr or stype r but the x for winter driving is the best choice. If you go with 04 there weren't quite as many problems with the car and you go 05 your even more in the clear, not to mention warranty, keep your eyes open there are deals on these cars allover the place so don't just see one price tag and say that isn't cheap enough because you will find the right price.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh wait...u live in Buffalo...nvm I retract my previous statement. You need AWD and snow tires. For me in chicago, I think it snows like 10x a year and roads are cleaned pretty fast when the awd is useful in snow. So I am going with RWD and snow tires next time. But aquill is right on the ground clearance. You may need a suv if you do get several feet of snow at a time.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Decision making is so hard...

Well, XjJagXJetc, my two cents.... I have a 1999 XJR with >100K miles on it (owned since new) - utterly reliable and nothing but routine stuff to date (and it has spent MANY hours at triple digits on rural Western US Interstates. Best, most reliable car I have ever owned, and I still look over my shoulder and smile at it every time I park and walk away But, it is truly useless in snow. Any snow. 40-series tires and snow do not mix.
I also have an Audi A6 - a true snowmobile of the first order, but it has had MANY repair issues and recalls since new, countless niggles all its life. Having said that, it has 130K miles and drives great, but not exactly Mr Reliable.
I have driven S4s of various ages - a blast to drive - even more fun than the XJR, but no panache, very low ground clearance, and definitely need snows on all four wheels (see above about low-profile tires and snow).
All in all, it sounds to me like you are in the best of all possible vehicular situations for your needs right now! Count your blessings, keep what you have, and save your coin to keep the XJ (s) in great shape.
Cheers!

________

1999 XJR

Last edited by joycesjag; 11-25-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah hopefully moving will solve that! I'm moving to Texas and will probably get rid of the x but not because I won't need awd but because I need a larger vehicle! I look forward though to being able to get some chrome wheels and a nice RWD vehicle and be able to drive it year round!

The ground clearance is the only hinderance to you getting one as I stated as that is the only problem. If you lived in chicago the car would be awesome or here in Michigan but I know you guys get pounded with snow so the snow capability you saw with your jeep wouldn't compare at all! Don't get me wrong though the x is a very capable car but not once you near the foot or more of snow mark! Perhaps even less than that! You don't like the newer xj's?