X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did Jag fix the oil pan leal problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Did Jag fix the oil pan leal problem?

I had a 2005 X-Type that leaked in the usual way from the oil pan gasket. Unfortunately, that car was totaled. I got a 2007 with 80K miles that I have had for a few months. There is not a hint of a leak. My garage floor is dry! This car has about the same number of miles as the previous one that leaked. Did Jaguar (Ford) fix the problem with the oil pan gasket? Another thing: on the old car I would get the vacuum leak codes in the winter time. In the summer they would clear. I bought the gaskets but the car was totaled before I could do the job. The new car has no codes for that or anything else. Did Jaguar improve the intake manifold gaskets so I don't have to worry about that problem? Thanks, Pete.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:33 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

I don't know when Jaguar / Ford upgraded the yellow IMT gaskets to thicker, green gaskets because they kept the same part # for both: C2S40669. But it's easy to see what you have in your '07 X-Type: loosen the 2 small bolts securing the top IMT valve, back it out slightly, and check the color of the O-ring. If yellow, then install green O-rings. Take's ~15 minutes to do both. For the lower IMT valve, you'll need to install the O-ring from the back side / electrical connector side, because there's not enough room to fully remove the IMT valve from the intake manifold. No worries, the new O-ring will stretch over the back-side of the IMT valve.

The reason your '05 X-Type had vacuum leak codes in the winter that cleared in the summer was because cold rubber stiffens and doesn't seal as well as warm rubber. Recall the Challenger space shuttle disaster? Also, cold air is more dense than warm air, so the leaky O-ring allows more dense, cold air to squeeze by in the winter. Your O-rings probably leaked year-round, just not enough in the summer to trigger an error code.

Regarding the oil sump, perhaps the original gasket leaked and was replaced by the former owner prior to 80K miles. Some telltale signs: Has a hole been drilled or cut in the transfer case to access the unreachable sump bolt? Can you spot any residual RTV silicone oozing from the sump gasket? Either way, consider yourself fortunate that it doesn't leak, and leave it alone until / unless you have a good reason to open the sump.

Good luck, and enjoy the sweet ride.